Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    A good pair of shoes will help. Hard-sole performance/racing type shoes will slip off any pedal with a quickness. Take a look at Shimano's DX shoe, or comparable bmx-style spd compatible shoe. The soft grippy sole will help you stay on the peds, and make the hike-a-bikes much easier.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    ... I really only wanted an improvement in those uphill situations where you fail on a rock attempt or whatever and you need to get started again up a steep uphill grade. In that application they are ok......and just ok. Better than the 540's since you can at least mash for a few turns until finding a smoother spot to clip in but the cleat interface still comes into play, making it a bit of a sketchy deal. Still, do-able.
    Exactly the situation I'm looking for... At the very least they should help the pedal NOT roll under your foot.

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Bottom line. Seems like all clipless pedals are impracticable for use while not clipped in. Not sure you'll find what you are hoping to find but the 647's are at least a good option. Just don't expect too much.
    Yeah, I was kinda thinking that as well but having no experience with anything but a pair of 12-year-old Nashbar SPD knock-offs I figured I'd ask.

Quote Originally Posted by berzerker
    A good pair of shoes will help. Hard-sole performance/racing type shoes will slip off any pedal with a quickness. Take a look at Shimano's DX shoe, or comparable bmx-style spd compatible shoe. The soft grippy sole will help you stay on the peds, and make the hike-a-bikes much easier.
    The very first pair of shoes I had were hard. They lasted a while and I never really tested them. The second pair had a softer sole. They've lasted quite some time but after my HAB adventure of 5+ miles on Mt Lemmon they are toast. Some Gorilla glue has them holding on but I'm looking at these now:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Mt42+Shoe.aspx
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Shoes+09.aspx

mtbr member
    Love my Mallets. and I own both. Mallets are what i rid

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    FWIW, I have broken a couple of egg beater SPRINGS! Of everything that broke....the spring? Yes.......they apparently just broke by use (couple of years road bike worth).

Now, I'm on some Nashbar SPD knock-offs....PITA to clip in compared to egg beaters, but they do the job for now.

mtbr member

Spring Tension Adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    I've always had my clips set pretty loose so that my feet come out fairly easily.
    If it makes a difference to you, consider that SPDs are adjustable, while the CBs are not.
    Last edited by MootsRider; 10-09-2010 at 05:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Mallets are also lighter than any shimano pedal made

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by MootsRider
    If it makes a difference to you, consider that SPDs are adjustable, while the CBs are not.
    Yeah, that probably does make a difference...

Quote Originally Posted by Grunion
    Not a weight weeny so that one doesn't matter to me...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunion
    Mallets are 300 grams? Sweet! The new shimano platform-ish XTR pedals are 398g, so heavier than the mallets The older XTR pedals are 325g, but still heavier than those featherweight mallets

Of course, I think you're completely wrong, lots of shimano pedals are lighter than mallets, including XT level, and even my 540s. Of course, some shimano pedals are heavier, like the 545s, 647s, etc, but I feel that's weight well spent, compared to the snapped axles of mallets.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    was running Time atacs for the longest time - great pedals until you come unclipped on a climb or technical section
    then I hear what your saying about concentrating on trying to get clipped in & forget it on mid climb - felt as if your trying to pedal on screwdrivers...

switched to shimano's 647's & have used the same pair on several different bikes for about a year now - they have taken some massive rock hits on some bikes with low BB without an issue

I have the adjustable spring tension set to the lowest setting & have only came unclipped during hard efforts once or twice
    with the low spring tension I have no issues twisting my ankle a bit to unclip during sketchy corners

I will echo the mention above regarding shoe choice - shoe choice with a slightly softer sole will allow you to take more advantage from the platform around the clip

IMO for everything but maybe competitive XC pedals are something you should not weight weenie about - its one of your main control points on a bike.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I ran the M647s for about 10 months now, before I had the lower version with the not as good plastic part. The M647 are much better than those cheaper ones. They are definitely able to pedal a bit clipped out even with a hard sole shoe, but I'm sure something like Five Ten Hellcat SPD or that other shoe you were looking at would work much better when clipped out.

I just put flats on my mountain bike and bought a pair of Five Ten shoes and the combination is super grippy even if it is a different style of riding. I know it will take me a while to get used to them. You do feel much more free when riding. If you have any knee trouble from your leg being in one spot it would help with that. Just takes some time to learn just like when you started with clips.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I typically try to stay away from pedal debates. I also typically disagree with just about everything Jayem types, but not today. He's absolutely correct.

When I do run clipless (on my SS), I have a strong personal preference for Time pedals; having used all the major pedal mechanisms, I like Time the best.

I swapped to flats/5.10s well over a year ago and can't personally see ever going back to clipless on my bigger travel bike.

More to the point of the post, do not buy clipless pedals with a larger platform with the idea you'll be able to do any significant pedalling if you come unclipped. You will not be able to, unless perhaps (as suggested above), you get some sort of grippy shoe with a cleat interface.

The platform of the pedal will not overcome the metal cleat of your shoe skittering all over the place.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    More to the point of the post, do not buy clipless pedals with a larger platform with the idea you'll be able to do any significant pedalling if you come unclipped. You will not be able to, unless perhaps (as suggested above), you get some sort of grippy shoe with a cleat interface.

The platform of the pedal will not overcome the metal cleat of your shoe skittering all over the place.
    I don't expect to be able to do a lot of pedaling without being in. Hopefully, just enough to get me out of the section that popped me out, though. Guess we'll see...

I pulled the trigger on the 647s and a new pair of Shimano shoes that appear to have "grippy" soles. Should be here tomorrow and ready for a weekend ride.

No Clue Crew
    Well, my first ride on the 647s was inconclusive. Did some relatively non-challenging sections of T100 and never came out of the pedals.

Second ride up BCT this weekend proved they were a good purchase. Three times I popped out on some rocky areas. The first time I struggled to get back in and managed to clip it and pedal out. The second time I popped out I started to fidget my way back in when I thought, "Hey, dumbass. You got these pedals so you could pedal through this rough stuff if you pop out. Just pedal through it." And I did. Pedaled right through and when I got a few yards away through the rough or loose patch I clipped right in.

Worked like a champ.

Flaccid Member
    Got to agree with Jayem... 647's. Of if on a budget 545's. Around here Crank Brothers is also known as Fail Brothers among the XC racers, where equipment failure is just plain unacceptable.

AKA Mr.Habanero
    I just bought a pair of Mallet 2s just last night. i hope that they work well. I'm use to shimano pedals b/c I have used them for years and years. Mallets look great and they seem to make sense with a "platform" pedal with a clipless pedal. Shimano 647s just dont do it for me. I have heard that CB isnt nearly as positive with clicking in. Should I have heeded the warnings? Perhaps, but I'll see when I get my Mallets in the mail

mtbr member
    My experience with the CB Mallets has been very positive. I haven't had any failure problems noted in this thread, and I ride almost every day. I like these pedals much more than Shimano style SPDs, but I have never used those in a dual-platform style.

I also use a more racing style shoe, with a very rigid lower. I have had a very different experience than Blatant. If I come out on techy stuff, I can still pedal very well until I manage to clip in again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2