Meatbomb

Lower Back Pain...

I've been experiencing a LOT of lower back pain the last 3 months and I think it is bike related. I have not changed anything on the bike so it must be me. Any advice on stretches/exercises to strengthen the lower back?

Doc say's "your a clyde, take some flexerill" .. I don't like being dependent on drugs.

mtbr member

Lower Back Pain...

My stretching routing entails stretching my hand over the Advil container and grabbing three Advil.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    This eliminated my years of pain and chiropractor visits. John E. Sarno - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YMMV

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i have one of those homemedics quad roller w/heat shiatsu massager things i haven't used in years. you can borrow it if you want.
    Amazon.com: Homedics QRM-400H Therapist Select Quad-Roller Massaging Cushion with Heat: Health & Personal Care
    you just press back into that thing and let it grind into you for 20 mins.

Pivotal figure
    I had the same thing a few months ago and ended up going in to the Dr. Had a few chiro appts and adjustments which helped but the main thing was realizing that an old injury was affecting my hip mobility and causing the other side to work harder to compensate. which led to the back pain. I started doing some different stretches that focused on the gluteal(?) area and that has basically eliminated my issues.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Doc shoulda said "See a PT." Everyone has different back pain. See a PT and give them a few sessions, they can make sure your pain is related to the bike or just to being a clyde, or both. If you're in Ahwatukee, stop on in to my clinic and I can show you a few stretches that help a lot of my patients.

mtbr member
    I have had back pain also. Mostly before I lost 50 lbs. Exercise was always a great way for me to get rid of the pain. Also try to take weight off your back and onto your bike if you can. I imagine stretching would help also.

If the pain is affecting your life/sleep please consider medical marijuana. THC has gotten a bad rap in the past 100 years. But it is MUCH better for you than the narcotics like percoset and vicodin.
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

I ride with tools
    Dust off your yoga ball, ginger.

mtbr member
    I had some "back pain" for a while, too. Then it seemed to move to my side. Ended up being a kidney stone.
    2012 Giant Talon 1

mtbr member
    In addition to the other advice on this thread, you may also want to make sure your bike fit and set-up is dialed in for you.

I used to have tons of back pain while riding and after riding my MTB. One thing I found that proper bike fit can make a big difference -- small adjustments in seatpost, stem length & rise/angle and saddle position can make a big difference.

While I'm not completely pain free (cause I'm old and out of shape), I have been able to reduce strain on my lower back by improving my bike set up.

mtbr member
    strong abs and obliques are probably more important than strong back muscles in prevention of back sprains. Work on your core at least once a week, I often incorporate a sport that is more core based - like raqcuetball or basketball in addition to core exercises.

Meatbomb
    You could be on to something. My racquetball partner moved away about 6 months ago and i have not played since.

Thanks for all the advice !

Vincit qui patitur
    2 Aleve a day and sometimes the inversion table.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Typically it is poor bike fit or underdeveloped core(as it relates to the strength of your legs) that causes back pain. Probably one of those.
    Tight hamstrings and quads as well, I noticed my pain decreases as my legs warm up after riding for some time. Sometimes stopping and stretching again after a few miles helps too.
    I do yoga once a week and it has changed my strength on the bike quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    strong abs and obliques are probably more important than strong back muscles in prevention of back sprains. Work on your core at least once a week, I often incorporate a sport that is more core based - like raqcuetball or basketball in addition to core exercises.
    Another vote for this. My new job has a gym (great benefit) and I do a good amount of core workouts. Squats, straight leg deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, and ab workouts. Riding barely hurts now, unless I fall. Falling still hurts.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you use a camelbak you can try adjusting the straps so that the water pack sits higher up on your back.
    Killing it with close inspection.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Lower Back Pain...

Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    If you use a camelbak you can try adjusting the straps so that the water pack sits higher up on your back.
    IME the higher the weight the more lower back pain I have. My preference is to have the pack sit at fanny pack level.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    That helps me too especially on road bike trips... For some however, they prefer the weight lower...

Not all humans are the same...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

Give it a crank
    A heavy Camlebak loaded with tons of water for summer rides used to give me lower back aches. Once I removed both the waist belt and the buckle across the shoulder straps to loosen the fit, the aches were gone. The pack does move around more but it actually feels much better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    IME the higher the weight the more lower back pain I have. My preference is to have the pack sit at fanny pack level.
    I believe it is either the pack bouncing or just the added weight of it that aggravates my lower back. Positioning the pack higher has alleviated my problems... worth a try.
    Killing it with close inspection.

Don't believe the Hype...
    I've heard from a few sources that gluten cause alot of inflamation in some people...People who didn't really think they had a gluten issue, until they cut it out of their diet and felt much better, less aches and pains...
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    that would make more sense since the lower back muscle would have to work harder to stabilize weight worn higher.

mtbr member
    Don't do what I did! I'm a clyde too. Recently I have been getting some muscle soreness in my low back and thought it was just due to not riding as much (riding buddies have been down with injuries). Last week I went out on the dirtbike Sunday, did a short Desert Classic ride on Tuesday and hit Mormon/National to the waterfall and back down on Wednesday. I felt fine after each ride, but especially on the moto ride I felt some low back soreness. Thursday morning I was playing ankle-keepaway with my cat -she likes to bite my ankles if I don't pay attention to her on the first few laps around my legs. All I was doing was alternately raising my heels by rotating up on the balls of my feet and suddenly I got a pain so bad I had to hang onto something.

According to the Dr. it sounds like I have a torn disk and that little keep-away game was the straw that broke my back. I spent almost the entire weekend on my back with my legs up to take pressure off my low back. I'm just getting to the point that I can sit in a chair for any length of time and I can get up or sit down without much assistance from my arms. It SUCKS! P.T. starts Wednesday for me. Don't let it get that bad!

Get into some PT before you get in my situation, for sure!