mtbr member

Los Burros Loop, Wildlife and trail photos

Just sharing some photos of my trip to Los Burros this past weekend... Wow, what an amazing place to view wildlife !! I saw one group of turkey, elk on 5 different occasions, a coyote, and plenty of mule deer... We had a herd of about 40 elk in the meadow just adjacent from the Los Burros campsite last night...

I was only quick enough to get elk photos once. It was a cow and her two calves...

I rode the Los Burros loop and plenty of jeep roads... The weather was amazing !! Only discomfort was trying to climb at 8000 feet in elevation. I forgot how much you have to work for that oxygen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Los Burros Loop, Wildlife and trail photos-camp.jpg  

Los Burros Loop, Wildlife and trail photos-elk1.jpg  

Los Burros Loop, Wildlife and trail photos-elk2.jpg  

Los Burros Loop, Wildlife and trail photos-elk3.jpg  

Los Burros Loop, Wildlife and trail photos-trail.jpg  

fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Los Burros truly is an amazing trail. it is probably my favorite in the state, although not very long it is a challenging scenic trail. i too was up in that area this weekend but stayed close to town, rode blue ridge and springs trails friday.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Los Burros is one of my favorites too. Coming down a jeep road section a few years ago I had a deer jump out in front of and we paced each other for about 50 yards. It was pretty sweet.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    So Los Burros is in good shape? I thought I had seen a trail report recently stating that the trail was in shambles due to a tree thinning operation. That's great news if it's in prime condition. Nice pics!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    So Los Burros is in good shape? I thought I had seen a trail report recently stating that the trail was in shambles due to a tree thinning operation. That's great news if it's in prime condition. Nice pics!!
    that's less than 10% of the big loop.... its a very small section....

mtbr member
    btw, the moon this past weekend was the brightest I have ever seen it... ever... never saw a moon that bright before... at 8000 feet maybe that made that moon even brighter.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    that's less than 10% of the big loop.... its a very small section....
    Thanks for the update.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

I love bike!
    btw, the moon this past weekend was the brightest I have ever seen it... ever... never saw a moon that bright before... at 8000 feet maybe that made that moon even brighter.
    You lucked out and got to witness the Super Moon. Largest/brightest full moon of the year. Won't happen again until August 2014.

Ridin bikes is fun
    It's a fun trail for sure. I plan to ride it over the 4th weekend.

Here's a picture of the wild life I came across when I rode it last summer. These guys were right next to the trail where is passes the corral. They were not pinned in.
    Los Burros Loop, Wildlife and trail photos-2012-07-15_11-31-04_788.jpg
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    That was me that gave that report. I would estimate it at more like 20%. As long as you are willing to hike that section or bypass it with the shortcut, the rest is a great trail!

Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azorr View Post
    That was me that gave that report. I would estimate it at more like 20%. As long as you are willing to hike that section or bypass it with the shortcut, the rest is a great trail!
    just curious, why would you hike that section... I was able to ride through there with no issues and I am far from a good technical rider... When did you ride it ? maybe its changed (from them cleaning up) since you rode it...

mtbr member
    I guess you are better at tech riding that me :O! Just kidding, most of the hiking was because the trail was so far gone that I couldn't find it and it was my first time riding the trail. Also they had left a bunch of branches on the ground after stripping them off the trees and they kept jamming in my wheels and drivetrain and I didn't want to break anything. It was not 100% hiking, but a lot. Not trying to knock the trail either, I enjoyed it very much and given the chance I would do it again anytime, probably will soon. I just recommend taking the shortcut up the middle to skip that part.

just curious, why would you hike that section... I was able to ride through there with no issues and I am far from a good technical rider... When did you ride it ? maybe its changed (from them cleaning up) since you rode it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azorr View Post
    I guess you are better at tech riding that me :O! Just kidding, most of the hiking was because the trail was so far gone that I couldn't find it and it was my first time riding the trail. Also they had left a bunch of branches on the ground after stripping them off the trees and they kept jamming in my wheels and drivetrain and I didn't want to break anything. It was not 100% hiking, but a lot. Not trying to knock the trail either, I enjoyed it very much and given the chance I would do it again anytime, probably will soon. I just recommend taking the shortcut up the middle to skip that part.
    sounds like the conditions on this part of the trail are very fluid... One day could be a mess just based on the loggers... I know they could probably care less about the trail... There were a few sections that were hard to find but I used the blue diamonds to find my way... The blue diamonds made it much easier to find..

mtbr member
    Yea, the blue diamonds and a few tracks that someone else left helped me follow it. BTW It was memorial day weekend when I was there.

sounds like the conditions on this part of the trail are very fluid... One day could be a mess just based on the loggers... I know they could probably care less about the trail... There were a few sections that were hard to find but I used the blue diamonds to find my way... The blue diamonds made it much easier to find..

mtbr member
    Can I ask where this trail is located? I guess I can I just did :-)
    When all else fails - Haul Ass

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefWFB View Post
    Can I ask where this trail is located? I guess I can I just did :-)
    Let me google that for you: Let me google that for you

mtbr member
    I did Google it and it came back w/this thread

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefWFB View Post
    I did Google it and it came back w/this thread
    Right, along with a bunch of other ones, like this: Los Burros Loop - Mountain biking trip | EveryTrail there is more than one result to the search, and many of them have GPS tracks that you can zoom in and out of to see where it is at.

mtbr member
    One of the trailheads is at the campground.
    Apache and Sitgreaves National Forests - Los Burros Campground

I get there by going through McNary. There are NO SIGNS in McNary for the 400 road. But its the only dirt road that goes north out of town and McNary is very small.

mtbr member
    That's great information, thank you! Looks like a great trail