Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    parenting for gnarness

Looking for a tour of the Brown's Ranch\Alma School system

Would like a tour if anyone is up for taking me around for a few hrs. I can keep a solid pace, but not a racer. I climb the McDs and do the AES events, capable tech rider. Say 2-3 hrs, 20-30 miles to get taste? Free either morning this weekend, should be free next weekend as well.

A good gpx route built for flowy fun would also suffice. But a tour would be much more satisfying. I'd gladly reciprocate with some of the off-the-map stuff in the McDs\N. Scottsdale, Hawes or a 6-pack.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    We were just up there this past weekend, here's the data Don't laugh at our stopped time!! We were just out explorin' & BS'ing, but it was a pretty fun day. Just keep the landmarks in sight & maybe a map from Epicrider & you should be good. Lots & lots of whoop-de-doo's.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    I used to MTB out there alot years ago and moto'd there in the 80's. There is so much out there and some variety too. A flowy GPX would be awesome, but I think I might roll out there and explore a little. I'd do it this week with ya Cholla- but my fitness is no where near yours yet-SLUG!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Just another half mile...
    Hey CB, I used to ride out the a lot back in the day and had a few fun routes put together all statrng from the P&D intersection.
    Short Route: West Express (14) to 19 to Flower Garden (18) to 21 to Browns Rach via Jeep Road to Rollar Coaster to Bail out (15) and back to car. Option take Rolloar Coaster to 15 to Dara a Sara (16) and then back to car. For a longer route, add Browns Jam to Metate to 28 to Cholla (30) then to Rollar Coaster.

Longer Route: West Express all the way, then cross over to Northern Exposure, cut back south along trail that parallels west of FR 2091 and make your way south to East Express, then make your way through the Bootlegger horse trails around the south side of Granite Mountain, then take Cholla Trail to Rollar Coaster. This is a big ride, Five hours or more. Take plenty of water.

There are numerous fun routes out there that you can put together. Stage Route going east to west if fun and swoopy and Mary's Trail is tight and twisty. It's easy to get turned around out there in the central areas since the trails twist and turn every which way. Take a My MAP.

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Would like a tour if anyone is up for taking me around for a few hrs. I can keep a solid pace, but not a racer. I climb the McDs and do the AES events, capable tech rider. Say 2-3 hrs, 20-30 miles to get taste? Free either morning this weekend, should be free next weekend as well.

A good gpx route built for flowy fun would also suffice. But a tour would be much more satisfying. I'd gladly reciprocate with some of the off-the-map stuff in the McDs\N. Scottsdale, Hawes or a 6-pack.

yeah, I've been meaning to set something up out there.

I'd be willing to run around there this weekend or next - as long as it is early. It gets mighty warm out there these days.

Anywho, attached is the .gpx of what I was thinking of. It goes on some less traveled areas and includes some fun stuff. It is easy to shorten or lengthen, depending on how you feel.

I think starting at the end of Alma School is a good choice since you get into the good stuff quicker. You can just park on the road near the trailhead.
    Attached Files Attached Files

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post

I'd be willing to run around there this weekend or next - as long as it is early. It gets mighty warm out there these days.

Anywho, attached is the .gpx of what I was thinking of. It goes on some less traveled areas and includes some fun stuff. It is easy to shorten or lengthen, depending on how you feel.

I think starting at the end of Alma School is a good choice since you get into the good stuff quicker. You can just park on the road near the trailhead.
    crack'o'dawn is about what i was thinking since we'll prolly bake out there. Looking at your route we could be done before it gets too bad. You guys are both a little faster than me, but I think I'm in your neighborhood enough to not really slow you down. Either way, I think I might load up your route and give it a shot as a good intro to the system.

Thanks Dale for the route suggestions, once I learn the layout, trying some of those variations will be fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I tried to download your map to my garmin 800 and it said sent to device, however when I go to courses, it is not there. Anyone know why? It's a new unit. Do I need some other software with it? Thanks!

mtbr member

Sure this is my issue- so help please! I can't seem to download or open that GPX file. Would I have to save it and open it in say garmin connnect? Still learning computers much less GPS and thier files!

"Uppercase with a space"

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacik View Post
    I tried to download your map to my garmin 800 and it said sent to device, however when I go to courses, it is not there. Anyone know why? It's a new unit. Do I need some other software with it? Thanks!
    That's because you're trying to view a jpg on the 800....as a course. It does not get more convoluted than that....Apples vs. Oranges vs. Cheeseburgers. You need to look for a gpx file which is far different than a map....

When you get that gpx file...don't add it as a course into a garmin, it'll give you more trouble than you can deal with at this point. Just add it as a track and choose to display it on the map. You lose turn by turn directions....but garmin really sucks at that anyways because the course feature programming is so rigid that if you don't start exactly at the first coord in the course.....it'll always vector you to the start point....even if you're already on course. It's not smart enough to figure you've joined the course at another point and then ignore previous points and lead you onwards.

Check out the GPS forum for more info...do a search as there is plenty of folks new to the garmin units trying to figure out how to use them in light of the crappy Garmin documentation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the response Maadjugeur but let me clarify. I wasn't trying to down the map posted by Epicrider. I was sending the data file by freeskier to my garmin. Which is exactly the format that uploads from my garmin to garminconnect. I follow the instructions for send to device and it confirms it is sent yet it is not under my "courses" on my garmin. Nor is it anywhere else. Any ideas on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Wacik View Post
    Thanks for the response Maadjugeur but let me clarify. I wasn't trying to down the map posted by Epicrider. I was sending the data file by freeskier to my garmin. Which is exactly the format that uploads from my garmin to garminconnect. I follow the instructions for send to device and it confirms it is sent yet it is not under my "courses" on my garmin. Nor is it anywhere else. Any ideas on that?
    OK....you just gotta get the terms down right....a map is far different than a gpx file. As for what you are doing, I don't have an 800....but I'm pretty well versed in Garmins....they don't change much. FWIW...I don't use Garmin Connect to upload anything into my unit. I only use Connect to download from the unit to my track log.

I use TopoFusion to upload my tracks to my unit.....built by an AZ rider and it's pretty slick. Linky here: http://www.topofusion.com/

Bon Chance!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks I will try that!

crack'o'dawn is about what i was thinking since we'll prolly bake out there. Looking at your route we could be done before it gets too bad. You guys are both a little faster than me, but I think I'm in your neighborhood enough to not really slow you down. Either way, I think I might load up your route and give it a shot as a good intro to the system.

Thanks Dale for the route suggestions, once I learn the layout, trying some of those variations will be fun.

So, by crack'o'dawn you mean 5:30am? We'd be glad to show you around on Saturday morning. I miss riding those trails regularly and would be glad to get back out there.

So, by crack'o'dawn you mean 5:30am? We'd be glad to show you around on Saturday morning. I miss riding those trails regularly and would be glad to get back out there.
    Just so you know....when riding with cholla....always add +13min to the start time stated.....he's a special needs rider.....

If it's a race.....you still need to add +13, but you should also be prepared to swap out his headset, chase his bottom bracket and bleed his brakes......in short, riding with cholla will make you a faster rider.

Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Just so you know....when riding with cholla....always add +13min to the start time stated.....he's a special needs rider.....

If it's a race.....you still need to add +13, but you should also be prepared to swap out his headset, chase his bottom bracket and bleed his brakes......in short, riding with cholla will make you a faster rider.

Yeah, I remember the disc brake tango you guys were doing seconds before the Monstercross. You going to come along?

Yeah, I remember the disc brake tango you guys were doing seconds before the Monstercross. You going to come along?
    Phuck no....why the hell are you riding the sand when you can be riding the loam? In all seriousness...it's my Hot-mama's B-day weekend....so I'm going to treat her to hours of isolation in a tent and an abandoned campsite while I wile away the hours devising methods to further my riding schedule...whilst on the bike

while.....wile.....whilst.....and if you pronounce schedule like a Brit (say it with me now....Scchedge-you'll)...it makes it even more funkier......

In all seriousness....I love my wife....that's why I spend so much time away from her......

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The bootlegger trail is barely ride-able in my opinion. Did that a couple of months ago and it has barely been ridden on other than horses. Best route out there is the Sonoran Preserve race trail, which consisted of 25, 22 & 24. Trail 24 is like a roller coaster if ridden from the top of trail 5 down and then maybe back up 44 to 22 or 25. I could ride those trails all day without ever being bored.

Northern exposure is good as well, but the lower half was all rutted out when i last rode it and consisted of a lot of hike a bike thru the big washes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Sure this is my issue- so help please! I can't seem to download or open that GPX file. Would I have to save it and open it in say garmin connnect? Still learning computers much less GPS and thier files!
    Okay- I just downloaded Topofusion and success! Cool program too- thanks for the link to them Maad and thanks for the GPX dtown!

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Freeskier, was there 3 of you out there on sunday morning? From the looks of your GPS files you guys were the ones that followed me up bail out and you looked quite lost once you got to the top.

parenting for gnarness
    right, 5:17 it is!

The Monstercross was an anomaly, usually my tardiness is not mechanical, just a busy household. And that Maad has an, ahem, more flexible schedule to arrive punctually.

The Monstercross was an anomaly, usually my tardiness is not mechanical, just a busy household. And that Maad has an, ahem, more flexible schedule to arrive punctually.

Just to be clear, we'll meet at the north end of Alma School road.

Despite the attitude of SOME PEOPLE, there is some quite fun riding out there. A little bit of sand too.

See ya Saturday.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by seandm View Post
    Freeskier, was there 3 of you out there on sunday morning? From the looks of your GPS files you guys were the ones that followed me up bail out and you looked quite lost once you got to the top.
    We may have crossed paths out there, we had 4 in our group though. It had been prolly 12 years since I had been up there, so if you did see us we may have looked confused a bit, but not lost!!! It was a really good refresher ride of the area and I'm looking forward to exploring some more out there. There was a group of 3 that rolled through the Alma School TH as we were setting out and they weren't sure where they were.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

parenting for gnarness

Bump!

riding tomorrow, FIP 5:17 CB-time. Following the map dtownmtb posted, should be about 2-2.5 hrs riding at a solid-but-not-insane pace. Will check PMs before i leave the house about 5am.

Bump!

riding tomorrow, FIP 5:17 CB-time. Following the map dtownmtb posted, should be about 2-2.5 hrs riding at a solid-but-not-insane pace. Will check PMs before i leave the house about 5am.

See ya at 5:30.

I expect about 2.5 hours at a "recreational" pace.

parenting for gnarness
    See ya at 5:30.

I expect about 2.5 hours at a "recreational" pace.
    fun ride. We had Jeff (dtownmtb), Nancy (dunno if she post, but if you've see her, it only been her back) and Raybum. yes i was the slowest. Jeff led us on a really fun tour of the area for 2 hrs, 16 miles at a hearty pace. The area doesn't have any real epic views, huge climbs of big moves - but is steady twisty rolling along the desert floor. You fade into the landscape. Its sandy, but not too bad. The track is non-stop pumpitude and berms, with just a few mild boulder moves -- thank gawd, or i never would have kept up with the other 3. full finger gloves highly recommended.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast