mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Looking for something new

I'm looking for a new trail to ride. I usually ride South Mountain, hawes, gold canyon, or McDowell. I have been out to FINS a couple times, and I've also ride Black Canyon Trail. I'm looking for something new that is not crazy far. I like tech and enjoy climbing as well as defending. I live in Tempe.

Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Trail 100 and surrounding area?

Also- the other trails than FINS in Estrella give some good climbing ops. (Behind shopping center)

mtbr member
    White tanks in Waddell are great. Take the Mesquite trail up for a great climb all the way to either Goat Camp (out and back) or up to a small loop on Willow Canyon, back down Mesquite. Hard climb, good reward.

74 & 29 pilot
    Phoenix Mt. Preserve has lots of good stuff to ride. 100 to get to 1A, 8, 8A, 8B, 302, 304, VOAZ, Irregular, Mine Trail, 220, etc, etc.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

Give it a crank
    I hear the San Tan Mtns. have a nice trail system. There's always Pima & Dynamite too.

Go Speed Racer
    Out in the North Valley (You passed it all on the way to BCT) you have Deem Hills (Lots of elevation change, and recent rains have made it a bit more technical, but GREAT riding), Sonora Preserve (Lots of elevation change and not a lot of tech) and Thunderbird (Great riding, but lots of hikers) .... I would be willing to ride with you if you want to hit one of these, I ride one of them about 3 times a week...

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    I hear the San Tan Mtns. have a nice trail system. There's always Pima & Dynamite too.
    Yes, the San Tan Mtn trails are pretty decent. I'm usually on the north trails - you get in from Hunt Highway(aka Empire Blvd) and turn south on Wagon Wheel to the trailhead.

-S

Shred...it's the new drug
    South Side SOMO trails. Pyramid, eliminator, mine drop, bee knees, gila...all you're looking for but didn't know existed!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    If you're willing to drive to the BCT, Estrella or White Tanks then surely you can make the drive out east (US60 east) to the Picketpost Trailhead for some AZT sweetness. South from the trailhead is the more popular route, done as an out-n-back so you get to choose how much climbing is done. Personal preference is to ride out 14.5 miles to a saddle with enormous views & the start of the 6 mile descent to the Gila River. This is part of Chad's Top 10 list, so you know it's good and it's closer than you think.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

EDR
    Picket Post. Past Gold Canyon, 30 mins from Tempe? Maybe less. Not too techy but it has it spots to keep you honest. Generally uphill on the way out, bomb it back to the TH.

the furthest I've ridden out is about 10 miles. You can go much further though.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Yes, the San Tan Mtn trails are pretty decent. I'm usually on the north trails - you get in from Hunt Highway(aka Empire Blvd) and turn south on Wagon Wheel to the trailhead.

-S
    I'm so confused about San Tan. I've heard everything from it's fun to it sucks butt. Guess it's a matter of perspective.

Can you compare it to say, Hawes? I'm guessing from everything I've read it's pretty tame in comparison (not that Hawes is National or anything) and the options are limited and basically bland. Good for riding around if you live out there but otherwise it seems like a "pass".

mtbr member
    just rode cave creek - spur cross and loop through cave creek downtown last weekend - took 3-4 hours - sweet ride.

Thread Killer
    Is there a prefered route to ride Deem Hills? CW or CCW around the perimiter?
    Cholla cactus=nature's guard rail.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I always go clockwise from the park.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardluckhero View Post
    Is there a prefered route to ride Deem Hills? CW or CCW around the perimiter?
    Most people on bikes seem to go CW from the park entrance. I live just down the street and ride this quite frequently, so I try to mix it up... Lots to ride there. I did about 16 miles and 1700ft of climbing without leaving the park today.

If it is not enough, you can always mix in a loop around Pyramid Peak across the canal or take the canal trail and cross the I-17 using the new bridge and ride Sonoran Mountain Preserve or.... ride south on the road to 55th & Pinnacle Peak and ride Thunderbird Park... :-)

-boom

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I'm so confused about San Tan. I've heard everything from it's fun to it sucks butt. Guess it's a matter of perspective.

Can you compare it to say, Hawes? I'm guessing from everything I've read it's pretty tame in comparison (not that Hawes is National or anything) and the options are limited and basically bland. Good for riding around if you live out there but otherwise it seems like a "pass".
    There are two trail systems on San Tan that sorta connect in the middle. The primary one were most people go to is on the east side where you enter from Philips road. The 2nd one is the one on the north side and you enter from Wagon Wheel/Skyline (aka Goldmine Trailhead).

The ones out east have been widened to almost doubletrack while the north ones are still mostly singletrack, and the general consensus is that it's an intermediate trail. Not many people on weekdays but the weekends are a little busier... not as busy as south mountain so you get a good workout with minimal interruptions, or having to get out of the way of faster riders.

I still consider myself a noob even though I'm out on the north trails almost every morning, and the trail still kills me (need to build my stamina). I ride out from my place (3 miles away) and up to the trailhead and take it from there - climb till I run out of steam, turn around, and roll back down all the way home for a 9-12 mile round trip. I do take a lot of the unmarked trails in the area which I personally consider challenging, and having explored the area I kinda know the backroads and can find my way out.

-S

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    South Side SOMO trails. Pyramid, eliminator, mine drop, bee knees, gila...all you're looking for but didn't know existed!
    What route do you suggest?

Shred...it's the new drug
    Quote Originally Posted by sloonz View Post
    What route do you suggest?
    A good beginner introduction route would be up telegraph, up natty to the west, first left after rock hut down pyramid to gila trails stay left to foothills blvd. about 6 miles but you'll be whooped. you can play around on gila for a while to add some miles. corona loma is one of the best trails on the mountain. Up natty to buena vista to corona loma down to dc and back...

South Side Sickness!

K3N
    Certified slacker
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    If you're willing to drive to the BCT, Estrella or White Tanks then surely you can make the drive out east (US60 east) to the Picketpost Trailhead for some AZT sweetness. South from the trailhead is the more popular route, done as an out-n-back so you get to choose how much climbing is done. Personal preference is to ride out 14.5 miles to a saddle with enormous views & the start of the 6 mile descent to the Gila River. This is part of Chad's Top 10 list, so you know it's good and it's closer than you think.
    Picket post is awesome for sure, but keep in mind that 14-15 miles out then back is around 4k ft climbing. Took me and a friend just over 5hrs. That was with a 20 min break at about the 15 mile point at the saddle. The scenery is worth the effort though.