mtbr member
    May 2011

Looking for a nice long trail to ride that is more XC and less techy...

Hey everyone, I am a pretty big n00b when it comes to MTB'ing. I ride mostly road so I am pretty fit, just suck at/do not enjoy technical riding/features. I do enjoy MTB'ing for the intense workout it provides (no drafting, cannot really free wheel for distance, constantly peddling) and want to take a break from road riding and put some miles in on the MTB this weekend. I live around Tatum and Shea and was wondering if you guys knew any good trails some what nearby (in PHX metro) that I could spend at least 2 hours on, include some good climbs and is not techy or has very little tech. Thanks!

Go Speed Racer
    I would suggest Sonoran Preserve North.

I will look for a GPS track from one of my rides out there and update this post with it when I have a few minutes...

Edit: Found it quicker than I thought! This is a great ride lots plenty of climbing, great views, not a lot of traffic, and not a lot (if any) of rocks / tech sections. Not too far away from you (probably about a 20 minute drive).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Edit: Found it quicker than I thought! This is a great ride lots plenty of climbing, great views, not a lot of traffic, and not a lot (if any) of rocks / tech sections. Not too far away from you (probably about a 20 minute drive).
    Do you have the paid endomondo ? I don't remember it having so much useful info!
    "This fish who keeps on swimming, is the first to chill upstream" - 311

Go Speed Racer
    Nope, still using the free version. They recently made a few changes. I have been thinking about upgrading and paying just because I use it so much

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hmmm the free stats tempt me to go back, but I already run strava for the sake of ride logging... poo
    "This fish who keeps on swimming, is the first to chill upstream" - 311

Elitest thrill junkie
    Black canyon trail?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by juggles View Post
    Hmmm the free stats tempt me to go back, but I already run strava for the sake of ride logging... poo
    I believe it supports importing/exporting GPS files, so you could try that...

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Black canyon trail?
    I was going to suggest that also, but I think Sonoran would be better for that they are looking for. Closer for this guy, and much smoother trails than most of the stuff at BCT. I know it is hard to not suggest BCT to anyone since there is so much to love about that trail

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I would suggest Sonoran Preserve North.

I will look for a GPS track from one of my rides out there and update this post with it when I have a few minutes...

This looks great, thank you! I will probably hit this up Saturday!

I too have heard many great things about BCT but I would rather wait and ride it with someone who knows the area, looks like a pretty beastly trail system!

Haven't some new trails opened up at Pima and Dynamite? Thought I read somewhere that there is some new trail system up there. Has anyone here checked it out yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fureak View Post
    This looks great, thank you! I will probably hit this up Saturday!

I too have heard many great things about BCT but I would rather wait and ride it with someone who knows the area, looks like a pretty beastly trail system!

Haven't some new trails opened up at Pima and Dynamite? Thought I read somewhere that there is some new trail system up there. Has anyone here checked it out yet?
    Stay away from P & D for time being, it's a mess.

North Sonoran Preserve and McDowell Mtn Park are your best bets.

BCT is an intermediate ride, not for beginners - a lot of rock, exposures, river crossings and constant turning. There are few sketchy parts there too.

mtbr member
    Start with sonoran. If you think it is too easy then try BCT. I ride both and like sonoran for the days when I want a smooth trail. BCT from emery henderson is not much exposure, but starts out rocky.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You couls also try the Maricopa Trail. Never ridden it, but looks interesting.

http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/Marico...ss-bw-8x11.pdf