Lakvoodoo

Looking for lotsa dirt miles in/near the valley...

Wanting to knock out some 4-6 hour xc rides this winter and it seems to be much warmer down in the valley. Prefer singletrack/dbltrack with decent climbing, limited techy (some is ok, but not 4 hours worth...need to work the legs/lungs...not the bum shoulder). So far, on the list I've got Picketpost, parts of the BCT and stuff in/around the McDowells. Any more suggestions?
    Get Outside!

mtbr member
    Try out the Flight of the Pigs route. Big day in the saddle with dirt between sections of pavement. BTW, aren't you riding the roadie?
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Look at PMP. the right loops can net you 3k+ of vertical and 30+ miles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    FSR 143 (4 Peaks road). If you want to really continue to work the legs and lungs then drop down the other side on El Oso and ride back. You will get the most bang for your buck on El Oso. This entire ride has some awesome views. Watch out for ATV/Jeep traffic since it is a pretty popular road.
    Last edited by ARIZycle; 12-21-2012 at 07:41 AM.

My other ride is your mom
    4 Peaks Road for just pure cardio dirt....or AZT from Picketpost to the River and back for the same, but beauty and singletrack. Either way, you're gonna get your climb on, see real far and be on the bike for the amount of time you want.....except the Picketpost ride is a bit longer.

mtbr member
    Climb up Mesquite Canyon all the way to the Goat Camp gnar (very scenic), then come back and loop around Ford/Willow Canyon, then add in some of the lower White Tanks trails and you can easily get 30+ miles with 3500-4000' of vertical. Venture out of the park on the Maricopa Trail and you can add another 40 mile out and back. I can dig up some Garmin tracks if you want.

Also wanted to give Picket Post a big ++ Did it for the fist time a couple weeks ago, 30 mile out and back with about 5000' of vertical...very stunning scenery and just a great ride.
    Last edited by azokie; 12-21-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Give it a crank
    Those are good rides, also look at the Phoenix Sonoran Preserve. Connecting the north and south loops makes a big 30-mile loop with 3k feet of climbing at a good pace.

Ahhh the pain....
    La,
    Here's some of my favorite XC rides near the valley...
    BCT: Emery Hendersen trailhead to Rock Springs and Back - 46 miles
    BCT: Emery Hendersen up through BCC, maggie mine Rd to Arastre Creek and back - 60 miles
    BCT: Glorianna TH to HWY 69 and Back - about 45 miles
    Sonoran Mtn Preserve N+S - 30 ish, but could include Deems to make it more
    McDowells: tons of options as you know from the mcd60...
    Phx Mtn Preserve (PMP) - Coast to Coast ride + Shaw Butte is a min of 20 miles, can do extra depending on route
    Picket Post to Gila and Back: 40 miles and a TON of climbing...a must do.
    AZT: Kelvin down to Freeman Rd and back on AZT - 30 ish miles

I have GPX files if you need them and will probably be riding a bunch of these over the next 3 weeks if you're interested.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Lakvoodoo
    Thanks everybody...definitely a lot to start with!! The good pain starts this weekend, and will continue for the next few weekends. PM me if you're planning to do any of those, maybe I'll try to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw View Post
    Try out the Flight of the Pigs route. Big day in the saddle with dirt between sections of pavement. BTW, aren't you riding the roadie?
    No, no roadie for the weekends. Interval sesh's during the week on it though...uuggh. :-)
    Flight of the pigs???
    Get Outside!

parenting for gnarness
    Hawes-Pass Mtn Loop. Lots of great views, route never gets dull as it changes constantly.about 75 min of Pass Mtn is intermediate\advanced techy with a handful of advanced moves. You can do 5 hrs of riding just in Hawes which is flowy climby XC.

Or do K-Trail then Hawes as 2 rides of 2-3 hrs each with a 30 minute drive between them.

Goat Camp - beauty, but only 3 hrs.

PicketPost to the overlook and back - awesome

McDs and Sonoran are ok but not as fun imo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Those are good rides, also look at the Phoenix Sonoran Preserve. Connecting the north and south loops makes a big 30-mile loop with 3k feet of climbing at a good pace.
    Can you tell me (us?) how to link the north and south? I was out there poking around this week and didn't get it figured out, just ended up riding all the signed stuff by the desert vista TH and wandering around on old jeep tracks trying to work over towards carefree.

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by cm374 View Post
    Can you tell me (us?) how to link the north and south? I was out there poking around this week and didn't get it figured out, just ended up riding all the signed stuff by the desert vista TH and wandering around on old jeep tracks trying to work over towards carefree.
    Using Dag Nabbit's connector like this: