Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Looking for looooong XC trails in or near the PHX area.

Hey everyone, where could I go to get some long XC miles in? Looking for gravel/FS roads, long steady climbs, and lots of miles, not techy chunky trails. I live around the Tatum and Shea area, usually hit up T100 but I am looking for something different and new.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Phoenix Sonoran Preserve is as close as you are going to get I think. You can get over 30 miles if you connect up the northern loop and southern loop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    Phoenix Sonoran Preserve is as close as you are going to get I think. You can get over 30 miles if you connect up the northern loop and southern loop.
    This is probably the best bet. There's nothing tech about it, but it's a fun trail system and a good workout if you push yourself. I also live near T100 and think the Sonoran Preserve is worth the drive.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thank you both for the suggestion, do either of you have a route map for the big 30 mile loop? Also to get to the Desert Vista Trailhead from my place it looks like I can take the bike path that parallels the 51 north to the canal and the canal could take me all the way West to the trailhead. Anyone know if that route is possible? I would be worried that the canal is blocked off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fureak View Post
    Thank you both for the suggestion, do either of you have a route map for the big 30 mile loop? Also to get to the Desert Vista Trailhead from my place it looks like I can take the bike path that parallels the 51 north to the canal and the canal could take me all the way West to the trailhead. Anyone know if that route is possible? I would be worried that the canal is blocked off.
    I've never tried riding there, but I think the canal is blocked off. Could be wrong.

Somebody posted this a couple months back - looks like an easy way to connect the two.

My other ride is your mom
    I think you all need to redefine your definition of looooong based on the OP's request and use of mutliple "o's". I suggest to the OP that he roll from home, up to 7 springs. If that's not long enough, keep rolling into bloody basin over to Verde Hot springs. If that's not long enough, keep going until you get to strawberry...drink some beer, take a dirt nap...then RTB.

That's my definition/interpretation of what the OP is asking for.....YMMV (literally).

Now...if your suggestion of Snore'n Loops is what he wants, then here is the link:
    http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ent/095100.pdf

FWIW....you can ride Reach 11 from Scottsdale way, all the way to Cave Creek Rd, head north on Cave Creek Rd for a mile or so, cut west through the neighborhood, trending towards the earthen dam, then follow double track into the preserve to start your adventure. Follow the multiple doubletrack from the southern loop that head north towards the northern loop to connect the two.

mtbr member

Re: Looking for looooong XC trails in or near the PHX area.

If it's climbing you want the road up four peaks will give it to you.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I think you all need to redefine your definition of looooong based on the OP's request and use of mutliple "o's".
    Haha true enough... Though I didn't specify how many times he could loop it And OP, the canal is blocked off, but the directions that Maad gave will work.

Go Speed Racer
    I am surprised no one has mentioned Black Canyon Trail (BCT) yet. Perhaps because it is a bit of a drive (New river and I17), but it is not much further than Sonoran Preserve. It is an out and back, and I think if you rode the whole thing you would get well over 100 miles in...

The Black Canyon Trail
    Black Canyon Trail

mtbr member
    But he said not techy chunky trails and much of Black Canyon is techy and chunky, apart from the boring, southern end.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Yeah, as Maad pointed out, a little more info re: length of ride would be helpful. The BCT suggestion above is a good one, but do it as the old AES route: start at the BCC TH take Maggie Mine Rd north to the Antelope Creek junction then ride the trail back to BCC for 50 miles....want more...tack on the LPL loop for another 24 miles of goodness. That would be a nice day in the saddle.

For something east valley, check out a combo of Hawes/Pass Mtn/Usury Park trails. Last year I linked them up with little overlap for 55 miles. Here's the route. At the end my rear der. snapped, so just finish up the final 3 miles the way it started on the TRW trail.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    I also like these kind of rides. Here are 2 ideas. You can join me on either of these rides since I ride them both often. The Poland junction ride won't happen in winter however.

Boring Fitness Ride in Mountain Air, relatively close to Phoenix, Sat Morning 7/13

Bike Ride Profile | Sonoran Preserve near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

Give it a crank
    Try the new trails at the McDowell Sonoran Preserve off the new Brown's Ranch trailhead. Connecting them with Pemberton Trail and other trails into the McDowells gives over 100 miles of riding.

mtbr member

Now...if your suggestion of Snore'n Loops is what he wants, then here is the link:
    http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ent/095100.pdf
    Perfect description

Ahhh the pain....
    go here... https://drive.google.com/?tab=wo&aut...TdOdzAtMjQ5cTg
    download the excel file called ridefilesv1 which has a description of each gpx file. Tons of great long rides.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

Now...if your suggestion of Snore'n Loops is what he wants
    trail snob !

mtbr member
    Sonoran north and south are great if you want a fast smooth ride with good climbs. Ride them fast enough and there will be no snoring on them. Too many turns on the north loop especially and you will end up off trail in the bushes. Just because the trails have a chunk factor of 0 does not mean they are not good trails.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I love it when people stand up for their 'home' trail systems.

mtbr member
    Hey I am cool with you keeping your overbuild DH behemoth off our trails.

My other ride is your mom
    Hey....Snore'n loops is my trail system....and they suck not so much because of no chunk factor, but because of the non-dynamic layout, ugly sparse desert littered with junk and double track.

I used to live out at hawes and that place is devoid of chunk as well....but it's dynamic, punchy and the views are beautiful. I never got tired of hawes after three years of riding it 4 times and more a week. After two months of PHX Snore'n preserve riding...I've decided it sucks.

Just my opinion.

mtbr member

In all seriousness, Hawes is tough to beat. Only ridden there once and loved it. My 'home' trails are the White Tanks. You can get a good 20 to 30 miles in there, with around 2,000 ft of climbing. Not a ton of trails there, but they are good and challenging.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    While I like Sonoran I would get bored out of my mind if I ride there all the time. I ride there once or at most twice a month. I am lucky in that being in Anthem puts a lot of different trail systems a short drive away. BCT from EH one weekend, Sonoran the next, Deem Hills, Maricopa to Cave Creek Park, BCT Little Pan. Even spur cross is not far. All can be 20 mile rides. (Deem does require some looping to get 20 miles of course)
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    But he said not techy chunky trails and much of Black Canyon is techy and chunky, apart from the boring, southern end.
    No, national is techy and chunky. BCT is pretty smooth, fairly constant intermediate trail.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    No, national is techy and chunky. BCT is pretty smooth, fairly constant intermediate trail.
    Well, if you want to disagree with the International Mountain Bike Association
    "The BCT is not an after-work mountain bike circuit. It’s remote, with extended stretches of fairly technical riding and no trail-side amenities" then, by all means, do so.

Success Story: Mapping the Black Canyon Trail | International Mountain Bicycling Association

Granted, "fairly technical" is not the same as technical and, although I've never ridden National, I imagine that it is more chunky than Black Canyon. However, the OP was asking for "gravel/FS roads"....I don't think that is a good description of Black Canyon by any measure (apart from the boring southern section).

mtbr member
    BCT is nothing like national. National is serious terrain. BCT has enough tech to keep it interesting and fun. National is all about clearing obstacles and busting part or yourself on rocks.

That said BCT from black canyon city takes constant concentration so it not easy either.
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast