No Clue Crew

Looking into pads...

Looking into pads but don't really know what to look for. Everyone likes 661, and probably for good reason, but I'm not limiting myself to them. But, I'm looking at these:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...hin+Guard.aspx
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/188...Knee-Guard.htm
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/154...Knee-Guard.htm

These seem to bel all neoprene, no hard plastic shell. Is the general consensus that the hard plastic is unnecessary? Maybe just less comfortable?

Anyone run shin guards as well?

Are the velcro-on-type better than the sleeve-type?

I guess it all depends on what trails you are riding. Mostly, I'm just an XC guy but I've been delving into some of the easier chutes and downhills and would like to get into it more but won't be doing much without pads. Hell, for that matter I need a rear shock, too

Any guidance would be appreciated...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    There's no great advice. Pads are tough to buy online for the first time. You really need to try them on. I personally run 661 Kyle Straights. They're almost worn out, though. Probably go to 661 Evos next time.

mtbr member
    straits do have a plastic insert, it's thinner than most of the outer hardshell pads but it's there and helps.

i'm currently using POC joint knees and love 'em. i was on straits before and the POC's are much better for me.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    There's no great advice. Pads are tough to buy online for the first time. You really need to try them on. I personally run 661 Kyle Straights. They're almost worn out, though. Probably go to 661 Evos next time.
    Why would you switch to the EVOs? Would you go EVO Lite?

Quote Originally Posted by 'size
    straits do have a plastic insert, it's thinner than most of the outer hardshell pads but it's there and helps. i'm currently using POC joint knees and love 'em. i was on straits before and the POC's are much better for me.
    I don't see anything at PricePoint or Jenson that looks like POC. What's that stand for?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    POC is a brand; European if I'm not mistaken.

The Straights are nice, but a little bulkier than I need. Nothing really wrong with them, though. If they fit you, they're a solid choice.

mtbr member
    Granted its all base off personal pref...
    I have the hard plastic 661s (knee & shin with elbows) and I love them. I cant imagine ever going to a veggie style. What usually hurts the worst for me is the sharp rocks, branches, pedals.. stuff like that... the shell will stop that much better obviously. Plus after about a week of wearing them, you'll not even notice them. I usually forget I have them at the end of the day.

Things I don't like about them is the peice of material between the top velcro and the hard plastic was gone in a couple weeks, so if you dont place the velcro just right youll get a nice strawberry on your knee at the end of your ride.
    Also, make sure to buy the right size as these really are not made adjustable.... though they claim it (I think). Lucky my mediums fit just right... and with the way theyre designed, they stay right in place with being slightly loose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Why would you switch to the EVOs? Would you go EVO Lite?

I don't see anything at PricePoint or Jenson that looks like POC. What's that stand for?
    POC is a swedish company that started out making protective equipment for skiing. they moved into bike stuff a few years ago.

http://www2.pocsports.com/products/c...sp?season=Bike

their VPD material is similar to the 661 d3o, but not identical and for the better imo. i did a small review on the joint knee in the all mountain forum a while back - search by my username and you should find it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have a set of POC joint knee and elbow pads. Saved me a few times. Great pads!!!! Definately recommend them.

No Clue Crew
    Looking into the POC just for shits and giggles but I can't find anyone that carries them with a website with prices... I know they are more expensive that 661, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Looking into the POC just for shits and giggles but I can't find anyone that carries them with a website with prices... I know they are more expensive that 661, though.
    http://www.universalcycles.com/company.php?Company=POC

http://www.google.com/products?q=poc...+vpd+knee&aq=f

mtbr member
    If your looking for "pads" I think my wife will let you borrow some...Oh you mean pads for mountain biking...Oh those are for pansies...

No Clue Crew
    I always forget about google... Mainly 'cause I don't trust stores that I don't know something about...

mtbr member
    Check out the lizard skins knee/shin combo. $50ish from pricepoint. I've been wearing them all summer and they're great.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    For the most part you don't need the shins. When you whipe you use your knees and feet, get some good knee pads and your good except for the rock tossed up from your tires but thats minimal and only results in a small lump and bruise. It's worth the extra cooling air flow against your legs I swear.

mtbr member
    I have the TLD neo over plastic cup knee pads, and 661 elbow pads. If its a real batshit crazy sort of pary, I'll pull out my Dainese Gladiator upper suit, but that's a rough day in a bad neighborhood with a lot of glass and hepatits on the ground sort of show.

I don't run shins. I should, if you looked at my shins you'd agree, but its made me better at throwing stitches.

We're bikers. Scars define us.

No Clue Crew
    How do the "soft" pads hold up against tree branches, bushes, and possibly a cholla or two? Seems to me the cloth could tend to get snagged or torn as you scoot by and through some obstacles but I gotta suspect that the mfgs thought of that.

Kathleen in AZ
    I ordered some POC knees and elbows this summer from www.elitecycling.com when I also bought their helmet. LOVE the helmet (bright orange, super light), but hated the pads. They use the sleeve principle along with velcro straps and were just too bulky IMO. Also, they run on the small size, so beware. What I did like about them was the articulated armadillo-like bends at the elbows and knees... something I really like about Dianese armor:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=36531
    http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/...ee-V-Protector

These have been my favorites over the years. The straps make em easy to put on trailside, they pack easily. they are not wrap-around so not so hot, and they never ever rub in the wrong places. More $$ than some, but well worth it!! Google for the best price, or better yet, make Fish's day and have Cactus order them for you! You will not be sorry.

K

No Clue Crew
    Of course, now that I'm asking I jinxed myself. Dumbass...

Not even 10 minutes into a ride this morning with skinny-tire, yetisurly, randyharris, & Guipago. Was cruising down T100 towards DD and there's a little dip in the trail. Went down, and back up and hit a little ridge on the way up with lots of speed. OTB. Never got out of the pedals.

No real damage but it's a little stiff.

Two wheels are better
    I have Kyle Straights for XC, All Mountain, and less tech DH and have been very happy. However, the lack of shin protection has caused some issues.

I also have hard plastic 661s that kubo posted about for techy or faster DH, but I do not like them. They have worn out incredibly quickly and the sleeve style makes them harder to put on with no real added benefit. Add to that the fact that some how they didn't protect me on the pump track and I am basically ready to toss them.

I agree with people who say that trying them on is a must at first. Especially if you skinny. For me almost nothing fits my tiny chicken legs.
    "There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one"

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=DurtGurl]
    What I did like about them was the articulated armadillo-like bends at the elbows and knees... something I really like about Dianese armor:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=36531
    http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/...ee-V-Protector

These have been my favorites over the years. The straps make em easy to put on trailside, they pack easily. they are not wrap-around so not so hot, and they never ever rub in the wrong places. More $$ than some, but well worth it!! Google for the best price, or better yet, make Fish's day and have Cactus order them for you! You will not be sorry.
    +1 on Dainese.

Me and my girlfriend wear these all the time, and they have held up great for a couple years now.

Most important is that they are comfortable and light, and can be worn on any ride, even XC. Very well made, and they do not chafe.