Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Looking for Hidden Gem? - Non biking, Day trip

Looking for a nice "hidden" place to go this weekend, preferably around water for a day trip.

I'm going with my GF and a couple friends so I won't be taking my bike, we were thinking about Fossil Creek but that seems to be over populated now but we never been there so it's still on the table.

Can anyone recommend any spots to visit? I've seen a few different places here that people have posted in videos and pics that have water I'd love to explore.

My other ride is your mom
    Try this on for size...

Out There: I think we're in it now!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That looks like a great place to visit, and something i'll look into doing sometime however it seems to be to "much" for this trip.

Anyone else have any ideas?

My other ride is your mom
    I was not implying you do west to east.....try starting from oak creek and walk in as far as you like and then return. That is the easiest way.

mtbr member
    How far are you willing to drive for a hike with water?
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anywhere near either the Flagstaff or Woods Canyon Area.

Possibly hike about 1/4 to 1/2 mi, we will be bringing along an Ice chest. Being that this is only a day trip with my GF and my buddy with his GF we don't want to have to hike to much.

mtbr member
    Well, water, cooler, and "hidden" is a hard combo to find in AZ. I suggest one of the lakes, perhaps Blue Ridge Reservoir or Woods Canyon Lake. All the water holes that might have some solitude will require some hiking.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    Keep in mind that most of the creeks in the Verde Valley will likely be too cold to swim in yet. I personally love Wet Beaver Creek (insert 8th grade snickers here...) for a nice spot to hang out at. If you get off at the Sedona exit on the 17 and head East there is a main parking lot on the left, or if you continue on the road across the creek then head left at the "T" there is a pulloff a bit farther up there that is close to any number of lovely spots along the creek.

mtbr member
    Isn't the fossil creek hike close to 8 miles round trip, or is that to get to the waterfalll part? I'm thinking if taking the kiddos this summer

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That's a good question, I thought I read online that it was only about a 1/4mi. hike each way. That might have been just to what they call Fossil Creek.

Has anyone been to the Fossil Creek waterfall that can provide some insight?

mtbr member
    The Fossil creek hike that starts at the fossil creek trail head is 4 miles down to the springs, than about another 1/2 mile down to the water fall. Then turn around and hike back out. My GPS usually shows close to 9 miles if you go all the way to the falls. Its a canyon so the hike out is more difficult.

If you drive down to where the road crossed the creek there are some places you can hike to down there. This is probably where the 1/2 mile is coming from, but its not the same water fall.
    Last edited by cw50must; 05-20-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: correction

EDR

Re: Looking for Hidden Gem? - Non biking, Day trip

Box canyon up near Christopher Creek past Payson. Easy day trip and a three quarter mile hike down to the canyon and sheer quartz canyon walls 180 feet tall.. lots of water to play in. You can swim from pool to pool making your way down the canyon.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Do you have directions to Box Canyon? I know where Christopher Creek is, this sounds like a great place for this weekend!

mtbr member
    You can drive right to Fossil Creek from Camp Verde. Once you get to the creek, you can hike off down the creek as far as you want. There are several waterfall sections that are really scenic. This same rode will take you on down to the Verde River as well. The Hot Springs are a short hike up the Verde. This whole area is a good place to take the GF's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nando87 View Post
    Do you have directions to Box Canyon? I know where Christopher Creek is, this sounds like a great place for this weekend!
    The old access point from the road was obliterated with the road construction and rerouting of the highway. There may be an newer, direct route to the Box blazed in but otherwise you'll have to hike down from the campground which is an hour or so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Looking for Hidden Gem? - Non biking, Day trip-img_3116.jpgLooking for Hidden Gem? - Non biking, Day trip-img_3137.jpg[Fosssil Creek ..

It's a slugfest!

Fun AZ water hike

If you like water hikes at some point you have to hit "The Jug". Apologies for re-posting this video. All water footage was taken from highlights of The Jug.

Random Gopro clips. from Steve Connolly on Vimeo.

"I've got nothing to hoard...."

Happy Trails

Looking for Hidden Gem? - Non biking, Day trip

Sedona. Go everywhere else after you go to Sedona.

But, if you don't take this advice, try Tonto Bridge, an amazing natural covered bridge near Payson.

http://azstateparks.com/Parks/TONA/

Happy trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug View Post
    If you like water hikes at some point you have to hit "The Jug". Apologies for re-posting this video. All water footage was taken from highlights of The Jug.
    Looks cool, where is the jug?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Looks cool, where is the jug?
    Just north of Roosevelt Lake. Salome drains the Sierra Anchas. It will likely be busy on Memorial Weekend but is a stellar place for sure. The lower end of Tonto Creek near Gisela has some nice swimming holes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thank you everyone for all of the great places, after talking it over with my buddy I think we are just going to go to Fossil Creek since none of us have been there.

However we will be making a few extra trips this year to visit the places you guys have posted here!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by azokie View Post
    You can drive right to Fossil Creek from Camp Verde. Once you get to the creek, you can hike off down the creek as far as you want. There are several waterfall sections that are really scenic. This same rode will take you on down to the Verde River as well. The Hot Springs are a short hike up the Verde. This whole area is a good place to take the GF's.
    How far is the waterfall and the Hot Springs from where you drive into? We are going to come from Camp Verde.

mtbr member
    How far is the waterfall and the Hot Springs from where you drive into? We are going to come from Camp Verde.
    The Hot Springs are about a 1/4 mile hike up the Verde River. You can drive all the way down to the Verde River camp area and park, then start walking up river and the Hot Springs are across the river and up about 1/4 mile. Not exactly sure what waterfalls you are talking about as there are several along Fossil Creek. Coming in from Camp Verde, you will drive right into Fossil Creek Road...park anywhere along the creek at this point and hike a little ways and check it out. There is a good swim spot right near that intersection. You can drive Fossil Creek up towards Strawberry and check it out along the way. Good Luck!

EDR

Re: Looking for Hidden Gem? - Non biking, Day trip

You know what? I even have a GPS route but I am currently in Dallas on business. The entrance from the highway is still there. It's between Christopher Creek and the Boy Scout Ranch I believe. Its just a quick pull off on the side of the road that holds maybe 6 or 8 cars. You do not have to hike from the campground.

The hike down to the canyon from the pull out gets quite steep for a short distance. Okay for kids maybe 10 years and older but any younger would be a little sketchy. The alternative route is to take the Boy Scout hiking trail. Its very tame but you'll have to look on the net to figure out where that's at. Its in the exact same general area.

If you are familiar with the Tonto Creek turn off, that leads to upper Tonto campground and Horton Creek on your left as you go up Highway 260, its in between that and Christopher Creek on your right hand side. The pull off is not marked in any way but if you go on a weekend you're guaranteed to see several cars parked in the dirt just off the highway. There is a small opening to walk through the fence. If you see that you're at the right place. As you hike stay to the right when given the option to go left or right.

There will likely be people at the first pool of water when you make your way down. Sometimes a lot of people. But if you are adventurous you will jump in the water and make your way down the canyon swimming through pool after pool. The further you go the less people you will see.

If you are planning on staying overnight you can camp at the upper Tonto Creek Campground. It's a small 9 site campground and is usually very quiet. Its only 5 minutes to the box canyon turn off from there. There are other paid camping options of course, like Christopher Creek but that place is often a zoo. From upper Tonto Creek Campground you can hike on the trail that borders Horton Creek. After about three quarters of a mile hike depending on the water shed, the water begins to flow in the creek. I suggest hiking up the trail several miles and then making your way back down in the creek itself. It is absolutely gorgeous. Sometimes when I do this with my kids I forget I am in Arizona.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 05-21-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast