Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Looking to get back in the swing of things

I sold all my bikes at the beginning of the summer planning to take a break, but now i completely regret it and looking to get something some what cheap to get me back in the game. I am by no means a beginner, as i have been riding for years. Do you guys think this is a pretty go set up to get me going? or should i wait it out and get something a little more, new?

Full Suspension Cross Country

Thanks everyone.

Edit: i mainly ride Deems hill, thunderbird, trail 100. simple trails like that around town. Maybe a hardtail would suit me better?

Kathleen in AZ
    You had me lost at "I sold all my bikes" ....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I know I know. Times were tough for me over the summer. Lost my job and as a college student I needed money fast. One of the worst choices I've made!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    You had me lost at "I sold all my bikes" ....
    Ditto.I really wanted to give my opinion, but I kind of took it personally when you said you sold *all* your bikes. Now you're just dead to me.

That said, three words: rim brakes
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    For 350 it looks OK. It's old but has decent parts and fairly light. Some may point out that it doesn't have disc brakes but V-brakes work fine. It's older but I'd rather ride this one than some of the sub thousand dollar tanks you could buy new. Offer 275 and see what you get.

and yah, how could you sell all of your bikes ??

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well glad to hear that your getting back into riding.

I ride mostly local as well and am really loving PSP. I have a 29 hardtail SS and love it. I think it all depends on what ride your looking for. I know going it, that I didnt need Full suspension or any suspension (riding rigid currently) for that matter when I first started riding. If you dont need the full suspension, that will allow you to get a newer cheaper bike. I think the hardtail might be better that thats my opinion and I like to keep things as simple as possible.

mtbr member
    just saw this one on CL-

Mountain Bike - Used (Chris King, Mavic, Thomson, Raceface, XTR)

Cost more but has great parts and it's a hardtail. Way better quality than the same price for something new. and about 10 pounds lighter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Ditto.I really wanted to give my opinion, but I kind of took it personally when you said you sold *all* your bikes. Now you're just dead to me.

That said, three words: rim brakes
    Well I should rephrase it. I sold my am and dh rigs. I still have my two Roadies that I ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by IamtheYeti View Post
    Well glad to hear that your getting back into riding.

I ride mostly local as well and am really loving PSP. I have a 29 hardtail SS and love it. I think it all depends on what ride your looking for. I know going it, that I didnt need Full suspension or any suspension (riding rigid currently) for that matter when I first started riding. If you dont need the full suspension, that will allow you to get a newer cheaper bike. I think the hardtail might be better that thats my opinion and I like to keep things as simple as possible.
    How're you enjoying SS? I was looking into it but since I haven't ridden in a while I am a bit scared I'm not in shape

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barefootdan View Post
    How're you enjoying SS? I was looking into it but since I haven't ridden in a while I am a bit scared I'm not in shape

Nothing will get you in shape faster than riding a singlespeed. And besides, a little stroll with your MTB in the desert isn't a crime!

That hardtail posted looks like a good deal if it fits into your budget. Problem with cheap/old FS bikes is that technology wasn't all the way there yet and a cheaper FS often is unbalanced suspension wise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Nothing will get you in shape faster than riding a singlespeed. And besides, a little stroll with your MTB in the desert isn't a crime!

That hardtail posted looks like a good deal if it fits into your budget. Problem with cheap/old FS bikes is that technology wasn't all the way there yet and a cheaper FS often is unbalanced suspension wise.
    With that said, howd the rigid ss 29er on bikes direct look? 349!

mtbr member
    If you want info on bikes direct go to the beginners forum and mention you're looking for a new bike. The spambots and fake accounts will come out of the woodwork with all kinds of info on motobecan and Airborne bikes.

Personally I would stay away from BD. Look at CL and ebay and find a deal on something used.

mtbr member
    I still have my two Roadies that I ride
    This is supposed to make things all good between us? I think not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    This is supposed to make things all good between us? I think not.
    Eeek didnt mean to offend you. I did what I did to make by without a job. Sometimes hard choices have to be made in order to live as a college student. I apologize.

mtbr member
    The SS forum on here has a few long threads regarding G29's. From what I can tell its not a bad bike. Not very light, but easily upgradable with nicer used parts as your budget allows (I for one understand that not everyone can get a credit card or afford $2000 of bike all in one swoop). Brakes are the weak link on that bike by looking at the specs.

mtbr member
    Eeek didnt mean to offend you. I did what I did to make by without a job. Sometimes hard choices have to be made in order to live as a college student. I apologize.
    Ok, you're forgiven.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Give the guy a break...he can't even afford shoes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post
    Give the guy a break...he can't even afford shoes.
    This fits...I Was Born A Poor Black Child - YouTube

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yep. My budget is tight and I just wanna ride. No matter what bike I get in this range, I know ill outgrow soon enough. I wanna get something that will let me have fun

EDR
    Just to get going again I don't think that Cake looks all too bad, when did they come out? '05ish?

Anyhow any $400 HT bike bought new at a store will likely weigh several pounds more, at least.

Sub $300 bucks seems like a reasonable deal. It will ride, and you will have fun, and you will have a FS if that's what you want. Better bikes can come later. You could probably ride it for a year or two and sell it for 60 or 75% of what you paid for it. Maybe more. Have you seen the crap on CL for $150 range? No name Walmart bikes.

I bought a nice bmx bike for my son a few years back for $100. He had it for almost 2 years and I sold it on CL for $100. It was in nice shape though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ignore. I need to learn how to read.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    love it. I had a geared bike before but realized I wasnt shifting so I figured just to get SS. I do have the Gravity G29 from BD and I love the bike. Its comfortable to me and does everything I need it to do. I will prob upgrade the brake pads though soon as the back was is pretty noisy. Other than that, it works for me. I am not too picky and have only been riding for a couple months but I do sometimes throw caution to the wind so the bike has taken some punishment and has held up nicely.

Even if you arent in shape, you will get there quickly. I was in good shape, running wise, before I started riding but riding is a different animal. Didnt take long before I got in better shape for riding and am still seeing a lot of progress each and everytime I ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Just to get going again I don't think that Cake looks all too bad, when did they come out? '05ish?

Anyhow any $400 HT bike bought new at a store will likely weigh several pounds more, at least.

Sub $300 bucks seems like a reasonable deal. It will ride, and you will have fun, and you will have a FS if that's what you want. Better bikes can come later. You could probably ride it for a year or two and sell it for 60 or 75% of what you paid for it. Maybe more. Have you seen the crap on CL for $150 range? No name Walmart bikes.

I bought a nice bmx bike for my son a few years back for $100. He had it for almost 2 years and I sold it on CL for $100. It was in nice shape though.
    Yea thats very true. Itll get me out there and going. I'll have to take a look at it and see. I asked about the tune ups ect. and he said the shocks were rebuilt last fall (overdue, i can rebuild i suppose) and then he said its roughly 20lbs Gonna get an exact weight tomorrow though.

EDR
    Yea thats very true. Itll get me out there and going. I'll have to take a look at it and see. I asked about the tune ups ect. and he said the shocks were rebuilt last fall (overdue, i can rebuild i suppose) and then he said its roughly 20lbs Gonna get an exact weight tomorrow though.
    I think he meant to say roughly 30lbs, lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast