mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Looking to escape heat-trail rec on Mt Lemmon?

I'm looking to escape the scorching heat and have never ridden on Lemmon. Could anyone make a trail recommendation high up on the mountain? Since I haven't ridden in 3 weeks due to a rib and thumb injury I am looking at something around the 10 mile range give or take a few.

mtbr member
    Hard to make a rec with out knowing how technical are you willing to ride.

There aren't many trails in the 10 mile range well not many single trails, you can easily put together 10 miles and more but you have to link several trails.

Most everything up there is going to have some tech and most likely Hike a Bike.

The coolest most shaded trail is likely Aspen Draw right up near the top. It's not super tech and is pretty much all down hill. Also up top Meadow trail down and loop back up on a tough jeep trail.

Most of the trails are on the maps posted at several trail heads but there are a few that are not.

There's a 20 mile loopish ride that people do out of the Bigelow Trail Head and a new trail on Incinerator Ridge that most people shuttle off of the top of Bigelow.

Also people often ride up the road and then down on trails. Green Mountain and Bugs Springs are both very popular. Tho they aren't that high up they are up high enough to be cooler. Green is very tech with hike a bike, Bugs starts with a .5 mile hike but gets super sweet.

Check out Mountain Biking Tucson - Tucson MTB to get in on group rides up there.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    like the OP, I've never been up Mt. Lemmon. I've heard a lot of people like Aspen Draw and Bug Springs...are these easy trails to find? Are they loops i.e. brings you back to where you park? I'm assuming they are not and you'd have to ride back up the road or get picked up.
    thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    There really are no loops per say on Lemmon, unless you count riding up the road at either the beginning or end of your ride. Incinerator, Green, Bugs, and Prison are all great trails, but either involve riding up Mt. Lemmon hwy before or after your ride or shuttling. Like AZT said you can link trails together at the top, but that involves riding Mt. Lemmon hwy or dirt road. Here's a loop we did yesterday for an idea. Trails rode were: Secret, 1918, Sunset, Aspen, Bigelow, with hwy and dirt roads linking them all together.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...d7094c9d&msa=0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel5d View Post
    like the OP, I've never been up Mt. Lemmon. I've heard a lot of people like Aspen Draw and Bug Springs...are these easy trails to find? Are they loops i.e. brings you back to where you park? I'm assuming they are not and you'd have to ride back up the road or get picked up.
    thanks
    Aspen and Bugs are both well signed and easy enough to find. For Aspen start looking left after the ski lift, there is a similarly named trail on the right that you don't want to do.

Deep VI's ride is as the name suggest the cream of the riding on top. Secret and 1918 take a little bit to find but his map should get you there.
    Last edited by AZTtripper; 08-13-2012 at 05:00 AM.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!