g^2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Looking for custom wheelbuilder

I rode the first moonlight ride out at pemberton a few weeks and broke some spokes, causing a flat. While repairing the flat, a few guys stopped to help. One of them built custom wheels for bigger guys. Anyone know who that was?

YT
    mtbr member
    Im guessing it was Dave Thomas of Speed dream wheels. He is a nationally well known wheel builder who lives in Fountain Hills, so being local is a great help. Has built me several pair of training/racing wheels and i have been completely satisfied. Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Srlpewheelworks.com
    This guy is in Scottsdale and has an amazing attention to detail.
    He is also more affordable than Dave Thomas

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by g^2 View Post
    I rode the first moonlight ride out at pemberton a few weeks and broke some spokes, causing a flat. While repairing the flat, a few guys stopped to help. One of them built custom wheels for bigger guys. Anyone know who that was?
    I was part of the group that stopped. If you are the guy I'm thinking of, it was Kaolin from Flat Tire that helped you, and yes, it was Dave from Speed Dream riding with us.

Speed Dream

meow
    Dave builds fantastic wheels...my hubby is 220 and rides super aggressively, every wheel he's built for him has lasted and rarely needs truing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pupous View Post
    Srlpewheelworks.com
    This guy is in Scottsdale and has an amazing attention to detail.
    He is also more affordable than Dave Thomas
    +1
    His name is Steve Liming and he builds fantastic wheels. I've had 2 builds from him and they are rock solid. I wouldn't hesitate to have hm build me a third set.

The PNF Ax Man.
    May 2011

Good job! Larry @ Mountain High, CO

Not sure who the local guy was. But if you're open to others, Larry at Mountain High Cyclery in Loveland, Colorado is an excellent wheel builder.

Dash
    Clearer-er of Prescott trails. Downhill downfall in your way? PM me. Have ax, will travel.

g^2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    I was part of the group that stopped. If you are the guy I'm thinking of, it was Kaolin from Flat Tire that helped you, and yes, it was Dave from Speed Dream riding with us.
    Thank you and thanks again for the help on the trail.

Yesterday, while riding at Hawes, I snapped the free body off of my rear hub. My bike (Specialized Stumpy FSR Expert 29er) is only 3 months old and is still covered by warranty. Specialized will replace the entire rear wheel since i've also had spoke issues. My dilemma is do i continue replacing with the same wheel set and most likely go through a new hub every 2-3 months or do i pony up some more $$$ and get a wheel set that is built for the abuse i will give it (I'm 6'5" 300lbs). Any advice?

Ahhh the pain....
    Get the warranty replacement, immediately put them on ebay or classified ads, then buy a real set of hand-built wheels with the rims and hubs you want.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by DashRiprock™®© View Post
    Not sure who the local guy was. But if you're open to others, Larry at Mountain High Cyclery in Loveland, Colorado is an excellent wheel builder.

Dash
    Yep. But make sure you have a confirmed turn around time.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I don't know the wheel builder these other guys have mentioned, but Dave Thomas has built my wheels for the last 7 years, three pairs for three different bikes. He takes great care to ensure you get the exact wheels you need, he never oversells you and he makes the best wheels by far.

g^2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I ordered my new wheel with a Chris King hub from Dave. Hopefully i wont be able to destroy this one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just placed my 1st order with Dave, should be here in a week or so. Super stoked to see the finished product. As others have touched on elsewhere, the process to date has been amazing. Guy is a pleasure to deal with and will educate even the most jaded know-it-all!

A plethora of pinatas
    +1 On Dave Thomas! I just got another wheelset built by him and love them!

I went with DT Swiss 240s hubs and Stans Arch rims. I am a bigger guy and ride mostly XC stuff.
    Last edited by mcoplea; 07-19-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea View Post
    *1 On Dave Thomas! I just got another wheelset built by him and love them!

I went with DT Swiss 240s hubs and Stans Arch rims. I am a bigger guy and ride mostly XC stuff.
    Ha, same here. I am in the tons-of-fun category also. Went with the Hadley hubs and Flow rims, hoping for a bomber setup.

Let'er Buck
    +1 on Dave Thomas quick turn around good price and great wheels
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

No new blood
    Any idea how to contact Dave? Links to the SpeedDream site do not work.
    "I've upped my standards. Now, up yours." - P. Paulsen

Quote Originally Posted by AZBob View Post
    Any idea how to contact Dave? Links to the SpeedDream site do not work.

(800) 275-5031
    http://speeddream.com/

And a +2 on all the positive reviews so far. He does really nice work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    SpeedDream is the best!

Dave knows how to build wheels and he stands behind his work.

mtbr member
    how MUCH does speed dream dave charge for his labor? and if I take him my used rim, spokes, and my new hub, would he build it for me, or does he only do all new builds?
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    how MUCH does speed dream dave charge for his labor? and if I take him my used rim, spokes, and my new hub, would he build it for me, or does he only do all new builds?
    Give him a call. Don't know what his hourly rates are but he will quote you a price before he starts. I have four bikes with his wheels on them, wouldn't consider anything else. Just had him true up the wheels he built for my Enduro after 41/2 years of abuse.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Just got my 823s with hadley/hopes done by Dave and like his attention to detail. Just give him a ring for a quote. His turnaround times are very convenient.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Great info, I will give Dave a call

My other ride is your mom
    I am on my 2nd ride with some Stan's Flows laced to Chris Kings....done up by Dave Thomas of Speed Dream Wheels in Fountain Hills. I was only charged for the spokes and labor as I had the hoops and hubs already. He even swapped out one of my hubs for another in his stock because he was not happy with the color matching in the reds I received from Chris King with respect to the front and back......very cool of him to do and it speaks volumes about the pride and care he takes in the art of the build.

As to the wheels.....Wow! The first ride was a 50 miler around the peaks and the 2nd was my normal day-to-day west side McDowell chunk fest ride. I've not heard a single spoke pop or loosen yet...and from what I hear from other satisfied customers, I probably won't. I have nothing but good things to say about how prompt he was when I called him and left a message after hours (he called back FOB the next day). His professionalism showed right off the bat in the interview process he put me through in terms of what I was looking for and how quickly he got my wheels back to me. The guy knows his stuff and everyone I talk to has glowing reviews of the guy's work. I never knew what a "compliant" wheel ever felt like and when he described what he was going to do for me, I just trusted that word....."compliant".....it's kinda like when Maude says....."Vagina"....it just stops the Dude in his tracks and makes him wonder and ponder what it all means

Well, I now know what "compliant" is and feels like and all I have to say is "Wow"....or "Vagina"......
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 09-05-2012 at 09:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Those wheels really tied the room together, dude.