wawe member

Long ride in thin air - suggestions wanted

Hello Class,

Road tripping with a friend who is training for Leadville, we'll be riding the course and Leadville area Thursday/Friday and plan to head back on Saturday. She'd like to get in another long ride on Sunday to get a bit more high altitude time and break up the drive. I'm thinking maybe something around Flagstaff?

How bout it endurance fools, any ride ideas?

+rep for good ideas. ++rep for good route info (those gps file things and stuff).

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You ought to check out www.redrockco.com for info. about the Barn Burner course. It is a 26 mile loop around Mt. Kendrick near Flag and runs between 7700' and 8100' of elevation. It is probably a little like Leadville (or so I have heard) in that it is all fire road and not very technical. You do get some nice scenery and even a splash of aspens at the top of the last climb. There are a couple of decent climbs and if you do multiple laps, it certainly adds up.

There is a lot of good riding in and around Mt. Elden (the road up Mt. Elden climbs a couple thousand feet in 5-6 miles) but there are others on the forum that know better what is open/ridable since the fire last year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RNC View Post
    You ought to check out www.redrockco.com for info. about the Barn Burner course. It is a 26 mile loop around Mt. Kendrick near Flag and runs between 7700' and 8100' of elevation. It is probably a little like Leadville (or so I have heard) in that it is all fire road and not very technical. You do get some nice scenery and even a splash of aspens at the top of the last climb. There are a couple of decent climbs and if you do multiple laps, it certainly adds up.

There is a lot of good riding in and around Mt. Elden (the road up Mt. Elden climbs a couple thousand feet in 5-6 miles) but there are others on the forum that know better what is open/ridable since the fire last year.
    Pretty sure the Barn Burner course is on private property, or at least part of it. So, not sure that's an option. What about Mt. Lemmon?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by RNC View Post

Thanks RNC (is this Reince Priebus?), +rep coming your way when I'm back on a computer. Can't figure out how to do it via tapatalk.

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    Pretty sure the Barn Burner course is on private property, or at least part of it. So, not sure that's an option. What about Mt. Lemmon?
    Private property? Mt Lemmon? Is Black Bart gonna hafta slap a ho?

Someplace between Leadville and PHX, not something to extend the drive!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Private property? Mt Lemmon? Is Black Bart gonna hafta slap a ho?

Someplace between Leadville and PHX, not something to extend the drive!
    Lockett Meadows is a lung buster. Also, the fire road around Mt Eldon would get you miles at elevation.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

parenting for gnarness
    the southern half of the Crazy 88 loop would be 40 fun miles on the AZT and through Walnut Canyon.

You can also start down at Schultz and work your way north via Pipeline, Gimpys Gully, Viet Springs, Mace's all the way to the AZT and beyond. Some of the Flagstafricans could do a better job explaining.

The route for last year's Turn & Burn would be great and hard if dry, but a lot of it is fire road.

Check the archives etc at http://www.handlebarsandwich.com/ for gpxs of those.

If you like something more AM, Schultz-Little Gnarly-Jedi-Schultz and road->Onceler-road-Overlook-Secret-Supermoto. ~4-5 hrs.

Be sure to check anything on the NE side of Elden\Locket Meadow\Waterline road as much of that is still under closure.

I'm looking to do a long one in Flag or the rim on Thursday, too bad our timing won't work.

wawe member
    Lockett Meadows is a lung buster. Also, the fire road around Mt Eldon would get you miles at elevation.
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    the southern half of the Crazy 88 loop would be 40 fun miles on the AZT and through Walnut Canyon.
    Thanks guys. Unfortunately I've got to spread my rep around some more before I can re-rep either of you.

Anyone else?

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Pretty sure the Barn Burner course is on private property, or at least part of it. So, not sure that's an option.
    Skinny is correct about a part of the course being on private property. The beginning (and end) of the loop is on private property, but the other 25 miles or so is on forest service road that is open to the public. I think that area is still a good option but you would have to improvise a little bit on where to park and do your loop.

BTW, I had to Google who Reince Priebus was (I thought he was a Harry Potter character or something). I don't believe I am him, though I am fairly certain I could do his job

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Whoops, misunderstood thread so I'm editing now.

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Whoops, misunderstood thread so I'm editing now.
    Hey, even if it's not exactly on topic, if it's good info I'll throw some rep your way.

Of course if it's not, pimp hand for you.

Just another half mile...
    If you are looking for a really high altitude ride, hit up the Colorado trail from Molas Pass to Cascade Creek. Most of the ride is above 11,000. It's my favorite high alpine ride and will be a great training ride for leadville. The trail is 35 miles north of Durango, so it's kinda on the way back from Leadville. It's a point to point ride, so you will need a shuttle or hitch hike to the start. More info, gps tracks and Maps HERE
    Hello Class,

Road tripping with a friend who is training for Leadville, we'll be riding the course and Leadville area Thursday/Friday and plan to head back on Saturday. She'd like to get in another long ride on Sunday to get a bit more high altitude time and break up the drive. I'm thinking maybe something around Flagstaff?

How bout it endurance fools, any ride ideas?

+rep for good ideas. ++rep for good route info (those gps file things and stuff).

pedaller
    +1 on the Colorado Trail from Molas Pass! Spectacular.

It will make for a LONG road trip home if time is a consideration though.

You can't go wrong with Flag either. Start at Shultz and work your way over to the AZ Trail north for more mileage.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    If you are looking for a really high altitude ride, hit up the Colorado trail from Molas Pass to Cascade Creek. Most of the ride is above 11,000. It's my favorite high alpine ride and will be a great training ride for leadville. The trail is 35 miles north of Durango, so it's kinda on the way back from Leadville. It's a point to point ride, so you will need a shuttle or hitch hike to the start. More info, gps tracks and Maps HERE
    I was thinking something around Durango would be good too. Could checkout shuttle options with Matt at Hermosa Tours for that one.

Thanks.

parenting for gnarness
    I was thinking something around Durango would be good too. Could checkout shuttle options with Matt at Hermosa Tours for that one.

Thanks.
    Maad and I did this one last September. Took about 4 hrs on the trail, then we hitched back to get our car in short order. It was an awesome ride and tiring, but not that long compared to a Leadville. you can ride up the road or there is a double track climb back to Molas that would probably add about 2 hrs and make it a big time training ride.

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006
    2 words, Greens Creek. Google it... 12000 foot plus 13 mile dh.
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

Ahhh the pain....
    This is a fun out and back....lots of other variants you could do to make loops including parts of the Crazy 88 track mentioned before.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95124569
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Ahhh the pain....
    or this one minus the road bailout on the way back....
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/91666741
    just so many options!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

wawe member
    Thanks all, keep em coming. I'll have to checkout the latest suggestions later on, got no wifi here.

With that, a quick review of America's Best Value Inn of Gallop, NM.
    In room fridge! Turn it on when you get there, I'm sure it will be cold Ny the time we leave.
    Free wifi! But it doesn't reach to your room.
    Shampoo/conditioner/soap dispenser in shower! Only stocked with conditioner.

Oh well, got to have dinner and a margarita before they rolled up the sidewalks at 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The LT50 (Silver Rush) is this Saturday! I'll be there , the energy level in Leadville will be amazing !!! (My energy level won't be very amazing after the race) That said, I think you should ride in Leadville Saturday (there is no training substitute for riding on the actual course). Break up the drive home by staying Sat night in Alamosa or Santa Fe, then an easy Sunday drive back to PHX or Tucson.

But since you asked for a Flag plan - stay at the Motel 6 at the Bellemont exit. 1/4 mile east on the frontage road is gravel Forest Service Road 171. Ride 7 miles north on 171 and
    that is the 171 on the Barn Burner course (the private property start finish area is the ranch owner's driveway off of FS 171).

http://www.redrockco.com/userfiles/f...Map%202011.jpg

The Barn Burner course might be slightly tough to find if you haven't done the race, but you can ride around for hours at 7500' on gravel roads just like Leadville's. There is a truck
    stop next to the Motel 6 for food/fluids.