Mtbr minion
    May 2006

local wheel builders - who's good?

Who do you guys use for wheel building? I need a wheelset built for a DH/FR setup.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by VR46
    Who do you guys use for wheel building? I need a wheelset built for a DH/FR setup.
    Unfortunately, I no longer have faith in the local shops I have used in the past. I got my last wheelset from the Path in Orange County. Free shipping for orders over $75. They built the wheels from scratch and had them out in two days. Good prices too.
    I AM JUST A JERK

I've had excellent results with lacemine29.com, but that wouldn't work for ya. Bryce and Bobby at AZ Bikes in Flag are also very good, with very good customer service.

I am Walt
    This guy is local and quite highly regarded:
    http://speeddream.com/
    Ride more; post less...

meow

Dave's SpeedDream Wheels

Dave's built several sets of wheels for me and my Clydesdale husband, they've all been bombproof. He takes care to find out your riding style, your weight, etc. and puts together a custom handbuilt set just for you. He's been great about doing free truing and minor repairs for the life of the wheel. He's in Fountain Hills.

http://speeddream.com/

AKA shitbird
    Peter at Rage laced up my wheelset (819's to Hope hubs) and they have been awesome. Quick turn around time and didn't charge a fortune either. I've only had them trued a couple times in a year and a half, and still in good shape which is amazing considering the way I beat the hell out of my bike.

The only other wheelset I've had built in town was horrible and done by a shop that is no longer in business (wonder why??)
    JRA

ride.
    I have had great wheels built by Bob and/or Matt at South Mountain Cycles...they do good work and back it up
    i have 819's on Phil woods, and open pros on Record hubs built by them..they are used and abused and still going strong

thats my 2 cents

mtbr member
    I just had a Hope Pro II / Delgado set built at Rage cycles and they are awesome...

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    I second the work done at Rage, SoMo, and Dave. I think Dave is a bit more expensive but if you have the extra dough it's well worth it. I have had my speed dreams for 6 years with no issues. The Rage and SoMo are on my short list of locals I use exclusively for hard to find stuff etc.

Mtbr minion
    May 2006
    Anyone use Fish at cactus?

mtbr member
    Peter at rage built me a front wheel 3 years ago, on the fly, as I lived in flg and was down there just to pick up a maverick fork, swap rims over to the thru axle hub and split. Well he built it up real nice and i have been beating the piss out of it ever since with no problems whatsoever.

mtbr member
    My vote goes to Dave Thomas at Speed Dream Wheels. He is a local guy and that is all he does, build road and mtb wheels. Plus, he is a great guy to ride with.

my knees hurt
    Got to go with Dave Thomas (Speeddream). Supernice guy willing to talk to you and figure out your perfect build....three sets from Dave so far, all of them flawless after 1000's of miles.
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you would achieve if you knew you could not fail.

http://endurancerehab.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VR46
    Anyone use Fish at cactus?
    I have.
    He built me a pretty bombproof set of wheels for my SS. I know he also does a bunch of DH/FR wheels as well. He's very reasonable and does good work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i am good, but i won't be there until july!

MTBR Mafia
    FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He is the best out there. Go to Cactus and he will hook you up and build you a bomb wheelset. Trust me, I have talked to all the shops and Fish was the most knowledgeable tech out there.

Maybe thats why i got a job working with him....

Seriously though, head over to Cactus and talk to him for a bit and youll see
    All Mountain was so 2005

Mtbr minion
    May 2006
    I've talked to Dave before - he doesn't do 823's.