mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Liz and Sue...Thank you!

I spent Memorial Day at Banner Medical Center with what turned out to be multiple fractures of my scapula...(I'll know more today). I managed to walk myself and my bike out of the trail but likely wouldn't have made it far without Liz and Sue.

These two wonderful ladies stopped and helped me get my bike on the rack, and then drove my car to the hospital. I never got their contact info, but if you know these two (one is a middle school teacher and both were on Usery Pass Road during a road ride)...please hug them for me. I cant tell you how kind it was to stop and help. Thank you, Liz and Sue!!!

PS - let them know I am resting easy and healing well.

Kathleen in AZ
    Very cool that you had help from the ladies. Takes alot to break a scapula... I know cause I've done it! Where/how did you fall?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I was riding at a semi-undisclosed location (with Strava turned off )...I didnt take the time to investigate a jump, launched at full speed and a ended up stopping myself with the front of my shoulder on a poorly placed boulder. The impact was so significant that it transferred the force directly to my scapula causing 2 fractures. No other injuries to speak of (except a few bruises). 8 to 12 weeks of healing time...bummer

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Glad you got help. I just got back on my bike a few weeks ago after breaking myself on SoMo and a random hiker helped me get the bike down the trail. I managed to forget to get her info as well. Such people restore your faith in the kindness of others.

Tough to be off the bike, but look at it this way.. your recovery will occur during the hottest time of year. Rest up, heal, and get ready for a beautiful return as the weather shifts.