Bend, OR

Living in Flagstaff

I realize there was a recent thread about riding in Flagstaff, but I'm more interested in the living aspect. I'm sure the riding would be top notch, especially with Sedona so close.

My questions are, how is finding a job there, and what about apartment availability/cheap places to live for a couple months? I'm just a college student thinking about moving there for the summer, so I'm obviously not concerned with getting too serious of a job.

Any feedback would be appreciated

igoslo
    I'm not sure about employment but I've got a friend who may have a room available this summer. He's close to the trails but more importantly he's close to the path that will keep you safe from cars when you riding home drunk from the Pay N Take.

Bend, OR
    Actually, it will probably be my roomate and I, so I'd be looking for more of an apartment, or at least somewhere where two people could live. Thanks for the offer, who knows I may take it if available.

Anyone else have an opinion?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Since Flag is a college town there are quite a few apartment complexes. Unfortunately, they are relatively expensive. I was paying around 800 for two a bedroom while I was up there. Not sure how many places will do short term leases, but your best bet is to do a google search for apartments and make a few calls. There are also rooms for rent in private homes, but these can be expensive and hard to find.

parenting for gnarness
    different board, but you might want to go here and post to their group: http://www.flagstaffultimate.org/.

Almost all the ultimate people in Flag are affiliated with the college.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    different board, but you might want to go here and post to their group: http://www.flagstaffultimate.org/.

Almost all the ultimate people in Flag are affiliated with the college.
    Threat hijack alert: Do you play Ultimate?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

parenting for gnarness

go ho or go home

yes, but just in the VOTS rec league now. I was a hardcore club player for 15 years until one-too-many knee surgeries in '03, then biking became my top sport.

The local rec leagues are having signup now for Spring season. All skills\experience welcome, you will meet many fun, active people with tons of biker-crossovers, there are rookies and National-caliber players. The league is intended as a learning and supportive environment. And you will learn all about Spirit of The Game, where all players make all their own foul calls.

www.vots.org for details.

PM me or start a new thread if you want to talk more.

mtbr member
    yes, but just in the VOTS rec league now. I was a hardcore club player for 15 years until one-too-many knee surgeries in '03, then biking became my top sport.

The local rec leagues are having signup now for Spring season. All skills\experience welcome, you will meet many fun, active people with tons of biker-crossovers, there are rookies and National-caliber players. The league is intended as a learning and supportive environment. And you will learn all about Spirit of The Game, where all players make all their own foul calls.

www.vots.org for details.

PM me or start a new thread if you want to talk more.
    I play with VOTS too. I was just curious. What's your name? I'm a middle-of-the-roader. I'd love to play more than I do, but for the last year, we've been house remodelling, and prior to that, I lived on the extreme west side, so getting over to Tempe was impossible.

Jeff Kellum here.

parenting for gnarness

Take the Dump!!

hey Jeff, this is Jason Alexander. we've met a few times. you may remember me from such features as "Al's Tours Moab '02-'05", "Get Disc or Die Trying," and "Vincible: It Only Hurts When I'm Running."

I'm playing thursdays this season (if you call poaching, cagging, and ill-advised crossfield hammers playing). 5th round here I come!!

nice talking to ya again!

igoslo
    hey Jeff, this is Jason Alexander.
    Jason Alexander!?!

WOW, celebrity in our midst.

Bend, OR
    umm.. cheers for the replies

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloRider
    Jason Alexander!?!

WOW, celebrity in our midst.
    ouch, i think i broke my spleen. that's some strong heckling, I salute you SoloRider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Aprtments run from $600 (studio/efficiency) to $850 for nice 2 bdrm. Renting a house runs about $1500/month.

Jobs--Summertime most of the college students leave so the employment market is good. Depending on what you are looking for Target is always looking for summer help--actually full year help. I would suggest www.azdailysun.com it is our local paper and you can check out the classified adds for employment and lodging.

Bend, OR
    hey, cheers for the link. good stuff.

mtbr member
    ouch, i think i broke my spleen. that's some strong heckling, I salute you SoloRider.
    Bet you never heard that before, eh?

I think I'm Thursday too. I'll know who to avoid when I'm out there