mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Living in Ahwatukee

Just wanted to get some new perspectives on the Ahwatukee area. I used to live in Tempe from 1993-1995. Making a move back out west (from Texas) and need good schools (twin 7 year old daughters), good neighbors, and primo riding out my back door. Used to ride Mormon/National daily back in the 90's. I work out of the house, so a commute will be a non issue. Is Ahwatukee still a decent place to live ? Any other areas within Phoenix that you could recommend ? I'll be renting for the first year.

mtbr member
    Moved to Ahwatukee in '06 (a the top of the market), and I feel really fortunate to have landed here; considering I knew pretty much nothing about the neighborhood.

Perhaps somebody else can validate this or even say the opposite, but I'd say that the loss of property value in this community hasn't quite as dramatic most of the other neighborhoods in the valley. It is still a desirable place to be.

I may be putting on the some rose colored glasses here, but I am seeing vacant retail space beginning to get new business activity.

I guess one of the major concerns with the area is freeway access. I don't follow the Loop 202 extension news (thru the west side of South Mountain), because every time I pick up the newspaper there seems to be a new plan??? Be for you get anchored, I would make sure this isn't gonna impact you. As for the I-10, rush hour(s) can be a mess, and once the economy pics up again it will be even worse. Commuting prolly isn't gonna be an issue for you.

jddist
    May 2008
    Hard to beat Ahwatukee if you don't have to commute. Growth is capped due to location. Best biking and hiking in the area is only 5 min away. Airport is very close. Downtown and Scottsdale is very close. Not much traffic. Been here 10 years and still love it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Also...any thoughts on Hawes and living in Red Mountain Ranch area ? How long does it take to drive up to Fountain Hills/McDowells from there ?

Kathleen in AZ
    You will love it in Ahwatukee... I've been living my dream life here since 2000. I work in Tempe so the commute is easy by vehicle and even better by bike since I can ride half the commute on South Mountain trails. Great schools, shopping, and neighborhoods. In fact, there's a 2-story home available just two doors down that would be ideal for a family of four. Grade, middle, and high schools are all within walking distance and trail access is < 1 miles away in three directions. I would live no where else in the Phx area.

mtbr member
    Ahwatukee is definitely a great choice, especially for families. Although the average home price is around $325K-$350 in 85048 and 85045, you can find some pretty good deals on a 3 bed/2 bath home for around $150K and up. All depends on what your particular needs are. Schools are great, my kids went to elementary, middle and high school in Ahwatukee and we couldn't be happier. Desert Vista is one of the top high schools in the valley.

For easy access to trails, it is best to find a place close to Desert Foothills Parkway or Ray Road near the Ray/Chandler merge. There are a few feeder trails onto Desert Classic which will get you anywhere you need to go on SoMo. It is great to hop on the bike and be on a trail within 5 minutes or less.

Hawes/Mine is about 35 - 40 minutes from Ahwatukee, depending on where you live and traffic.

Happy to answer any other questions you have and good luck with the move.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Seriously I've been considering moving out of NJ and since this post I googled the place and it seems like a wonderful place to raise kids as the school system is great not to mention the trail system seems awesome! O and btw I'm seeing beautiful homes for just over 200k. How are Unions out there do they exist? How are snakes and poisonous bugs are they all over the place?
    Last edited by dogo; 01-02-2011 at 11:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Not familiar with the status of Unions here in the Valley, perhaps someone else can weigh in on that subject.

As far snakes and bugs, yes they do exist, but they are not as common as people think. I have yet to see a rattlesnake on the trail, although I have heard of other riders coming across one. There are scorpions here, especially in developments/neighborhoods closest to the mountains, but we have never had one in our house and we live right at the base of South Mountain. I grew up in Washington and we had more problems with rattlesnakes and black widow spiders.

There are a few New Jersey transplants out here or at least it seems like it since the company I work for has its headquarters in NJ and people are transferring out here from time to time.

Victim of Saddle Rage
    Quote Originally Posted by dogo
    Seriously I've been considering moving out of NJ and since this post I goggled the place and it seems like a wonderful place to raise kids as the school system is great not to mention the trail system seems awesome! O and btw I'm seeing beautiful homes for just over 200k. How are Unions out there do they exist? How are snakes and poisonous bugs are they all over the place?

I grew up in Montclair, NJ and I can't blame you for wanting to get out. My folks are paying 26K in property taxes for a modest home and they pay out a king's ransom for almost everything else as well. There are no good schools in AZ or anywhere in the country for that matter, so this is where good parenting comes in, but as far as AZ goes, the schools are well above average. "Unions," boy are you from out east .More like slave labour and minimum wage out here. AZ is kind of a mixed bag with about a voting class of 25% conservative leaning outspoken active voters, 25% outdoorsy types that don't really vote, 15% democrats, and 35% independent that just jump on any bandwagon that seems in at the moment. Very different than the pseudo-liberal Jersey attitude. As far a bugs and snakes, yeah they are here, but really how's that an issue? I've seen plenty of eastern diamondback while riding at Ringwood, along with bears, bees, wasps, and angry hikers, so it really isn't that different out here. As far as the Tukee goes, probably one of the best areas in the Valley. I also like the North Valley, as it is easy to leave and head north to the mountains. The Tukee has avoided a lot of the KB and Horton homes and has some well established neighborhoods. South mnt tends to keep the brown pollution haze out as well. Definitely worth checking out
    Last edited by cannonballtrail; 01-02-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballtrail
    I grew up in Montclair, NJ and I can't blame you for wanting to get out. My folks are paying 26K in property taxes for a modest home and they pay out a king's ransom for almost everything else as well. There are no good schools in AZ or anywhere in the country for that matter, so this is where good parenting comes in, but as far as AZ goes, the schools are well above average. "Unions," boy are you from out east .More like slave labour and minimum wage out here. AZ is kind of a mixed bag with about a voting class of 25% conservative leaning outspoken active voters, 25% outdoorsy types that don't really vote, 15% democrats, and 35% independent that just jump on any bandwagon that seems in at the moment. Very different than the pseudo-liberal Jersey attitude. As far a bugs and snakes, yeah they are here, but really how's that an issue? I've seen plenty of eastern diamondback while riding at Ringwood, along with bears, bees, wasps, and angry hikers, so it really isn't that different out here. As far as the Tukee goes, probably one of the best areas in the Valley. I also like the North Valley, as it is easy to leave and head north to the mountains. The Tukee has avoided a lot of the KB and Horton homes and has some well established neighborhoods. South mnt tends to keep the brown pollution haze out as well. Definitely worth checking out

LOL ya I am sooo used to making inflated wages through "The Union" lol, but I just found out the company I work for has an office in Glendale which isnt to far from like u said "tukee". I doubt there union in AZ, but I'll find out ugh I just need a change I'm so sick of the dog eat dog hustle and bustle of Jerz.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    AZ is a right to work state. I have worked for a couple different companies that are union. It's pretty much a joke though. They help a little, but nothing like you would be use to. We just had our retirement plan slashed and medical benefits cut back on but have to pay more for less. That's just to name a few. When we questioned "The Union", they just said they can't do anything, it is the company's right. Unions out here usually just keep around the beat a** employees that deserve to get fired. I live in the north valley so I can't comment on tukee. Phoenix area is pretty nice though...perfect winter weather, only 2hrs to go ski, 4 hrs to the beach and 1.5-2hrs to escape the heat in the summer.

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Ahwatukee

In 1998 before moving to Arizona / Ahwatukee, I was getting calls from head-hunters offering me jobs all over the U.S. (and we knew we weren't going to stay in California any longer).

As a result, my wife and I spent ~1 year researching where we wanted to raise our kids. We looked at cost of living, school scores, potential employers, crime stats, political affiliations, etc. (all the data one should consider before making a move), then we moved here July, 1999.

I live between Ray Rd. and Chandler Blvd. on 40th street so have great access to the mountain (I can ride a bike path to the trails without riding any roads), shopping, schools, freeway, etc.

My neighbors are fantastic (a number of us get together for Octoberfest, Superbowl, Christmas and block parties each year).

The heat, bugs, snakes are all over rated...Just don't bring any cats (coyotes got both of ours in the first six months. The coyotes hunt the greenbelts).

You can check out the demographics for the area using on-line tools, but what I have found is that it is a great family community. Folks are middle to high income (but they are not snobby at all) and well educated (many advanced degree's i.e. engineers, Masters, PhD's).

Home prices in the area have declined ~35% off the peak (vs. ~51% valley wide), so now is actually not a bad time to buy (I am in the home equity business for a large Bank and our forecast is that home prices will bottom out around Q3 of this year, but 30 & 15 year rates are now starting to move up so you need to consider that).

So after 11 years I can look back and say the research paid off. There is no place I would rather live - but do your own due diligence and good luck.

mtbr member
    I used to live in Ahwatukee...miss it, would live there again in a heartbeat...although it is nice not being far from the great trails in the (far) East Valley.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

nodejitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by vmb

I live between Ray Rd. and Chandler Blvd. on 40th street so have great access to the mountain (I can ride a bike path to the trails without riding any roads), shopping, schools, freeway, etc.
    We may cross paths, literally. If we haven't already.

skilldest©
    I will chime in too...

I lived in Ahwatukee '00-'05 then work took me out of state and I recently made it back Dec-09. Having come back I have no idea why I left! I love this place. Close to good schools, neighborhoods, South Mountain, bike shops, access to freeways et cetera. The older part of Ahwatukee (north part) imo not so great due to just having a bike stolen from a house I was renting. I am still bitter about that but I will stop complaining some day...maybe.

Moving on...last Nov I bought a house at an auction (yes a house at an auction) and moved in last month. My wife is a realtor so she helped me find it...my requirements were Ahwatukee, near schools (I have 4 kids), big, low price, very near somo. I got all of that (approx Ray & 33rd) so I am stoked. In '05 when I left I would never have been able to buy that house but now I have a massive house for 1/2 the '05 price...living the dream. So far the neighborhood has been really nice. 8 families have brought over "welcome to the neighborhood" goodie plates...uh cool.

Couple of other notes...just can't stop typing... As said in other posts AZ is a Right to Work State meaning that you cannot be compelled to join a union as a condition to work. I also noticed that a lot of the commercial real estate was vacant (compared to when I lived here 4 yrs ago). According to real estate people, commercial real estate follows residential by 3-5 yrs. So, it may not be getting worse anytime soon and hopefully get going in a better direction soon. The company I work for is building at 48th & Elliott. Hopefully we will have a swanky new building there shortly...go economy go!

Finally, it is cooler in Ahwatukee than in the rest of Phoenix by at least 20 degrees in the summer...hardy har har. Okay that was a joke. As soon as I am done with the PF Changs race in a couple weeks I hope to start biking again and can hopefully jump onto DC from War Paint. From a combined 6 yrs and living in 4 locations in Ahwatukee I hope to never leave. Now I just need to get that bike out from amongst all the partially empty boxes, shake up the stan's no tubes bottle, lube it up and get some stoke!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogo View Post
    Seriously I've been considering moving out of NJ and since this post I googled the place and it seems like a wonderful place to raise kids as the school system is great not to mention the trail system seems awesome! O and btw I'm seeing beautiful homes for just over 200k. How are Unions out there do they exist? How are snakes and poisonous bugs are they all over the place?
    Yeah.......union is kind of a dirty word in Arizona, or really most of the south/southwest.

Other than that, long as you're not an Obama voter, Arizona welcomes you.

mtbr member
    AZ is a deep red state in politics, attitudes, education, employment etc. It's like living in the deep south but without the southern drawls and humidity. And... a lot better trails. It is what it is. The trails and climate offset most of the downsides for me personally.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSdirt29 View Post
    AZ is a deep red state in politics, attitudes, education, employment etc. It's like living in the deep south but without the southern drawls and humidity. And... a lot better trails. It is what it is. The trails and climate offset most of the downsides for me personally.
    ^^^^Somebody who has spent too much time in Phoenix?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkelly74 View Post
    It is nice place for biking
    Nice job spamming a two year old thread.

mtbr member
    Just saw on Barrett Jackson that the original bat mobile is going to ahwatukee. Bought for 4.2 million to a guy who lives there. He will be putting it in his living room.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.