mtbr member
    Jun 2009

A little trail buddy!

Saw...or I should say heard this little guy yesterday out at the Mcdowell Loop.
    Sorry for the bad pic..it was a cell phone and i wasn't interested in getting to close!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the picture. It looks like a decent sized western diamondback. I'm glad that each of you were able to escape the meeting unscathed. I saw a southwest speckled rattlesnake on SoMo, earlier this summer. They are pretty neat animals. About what time of day did you see this guy?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It was around 4 in the afternoon.
    He wasn't very happy to see us!
    I would have rode on by without even noticing him it it wasn't so loud.

Black and Sticky
    I saw him (or his cousin) on the MMP Long Loop near Convict Corner about three weeks ago. He was stretched out across the trail with his nose by a hole, I guess waiting for something to come out. It was about 6:30 AM and he was still in the shade. I rolled up on him and went by before either of us had a chance to react. I bet I missed his head by just an inch or two. You're braver than me, I didn't want to go back for a photo op! It freaked me out for the rest of my ride.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It was on the long loop. Not sure about the destination, maybe 2 miles from the end.
    I had to convince my buddy not to go "Crocidile Hunter" and try to pick it up.

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by az29er
    It was on the long loop. Not sure about the destination, maybe 2 miles from the end.
    I had to convince my buddy not to go "Crocidile Hunter" and try to pick it up.
    Good call... amazes me people want to do that. I run from them!

That is a pretty good sized one, looks like its pushing 5 feet; or is it just the camera adding 5 pounds?

Meatbomb
    Majority of the people that get bit deserve it because they simply do not just step away.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Stepping away saved my butt once.......nice pic!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    After are little encounter I started thinking...
    What if he was right in the middle of the trail in the striking position?
    I know it is easy to say "lift your legs", but would I have been able to get out of the clipless that fast?
    I'm a newbee, and new to clipless too...

Tucson, AZ
    I know it is easy to say "lift your legs", but would I have been able to get out of the clipless that fast?
    I have seen 3 rattlesnakes ON the trail (along with a few more on the side of the trail) and have not been able to react that fast... I just freeze, zoom right by them (thinking I even hit them on occasion) without incident. I wish I could have picked up my legs, but I am frozen in fear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    I have seen 3 rattlesnakes ON the trail (along with a few more on the side of the trail) and have not been able to react that fast... I just freeze, zoom right by them (thinking I even hit them on occasion) without incident. I wish I could have picked up my legs, but I am frozen in fear.
    That was kinda what I was tinking I would do.
    Hopefully it would be on a downhill!

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    A few years ago one was stretched across the trail, crossing it I assume, when I can barreling down on it. By the time I saw it, it was too late to stop unless I wanted to stop on top of it. I ran it over, right over its back. I have no idea how the snake reacted, and I didn't stick around to find out. I went about another 50 feet down the trail got off my bike and my legs turned to Jello, I collapsed right there and took about 10 mins just to start blinking again. The rest of the ride I went about 3 MPH constantly looking ahead for a snake.

Besides that I have ridden by them several times, sometimes I see them off the trail and zip by before they can react, sometimes I just hear a rattle from a bush as I ride past it. Most recent encounter was coming out of Dreamy Draw on T100, never saw it, just heard it in the bush as I rode past. It sounded close but it may have been my mind freaking me out.

I have a deal with them, I leave them alone and they leave me alone. So far its worked out, hope it continues.