mtbr member
    Jul 2010

A little Mishap on the BCT today

WARNING VIEWING THESE PICTURES MAY CAUSE THE STOMACH TO TURN A BIT
    So 8 of us set out this morning to ride from RS to TM, a few of us were going to to do the LPL but we didn't make it. One guy tore a tire open pretty good, put a tube in it and was bulging out. So he ended up hiking out, it took him about 1 1/2 hours to walk back to RS trail head.(he didn't want to try to and patch it from the inside) And then as a few of us were waiting for the rest of the group at the first road you come to ( about 7+ miles in) I got a call from my son who was riding with us, he said that he gashed his knee open pretty good, so I rode back a little ways and they had just wrapped it and we rode back to the rode crossing. We took a look at the gash and decided he probably shouldnt ride anymore. We kind of figured out where we were and that some of us would ride the road to TM trail head and get the truck, as we were riding some really nice guys in there beefed up rock crawlers stopped and we told what was going on and they offered to go pick up my son.They drove him about 3 miles until one our guys showed up in my truck. Just wanted to share this story for a few reasons, one being that I was really impressed that these guy's helped us. I even offered them $ for gas and they refused it. And the second reason be careful, but things happen so try to be prepared and we were. In the end the guys thanked me for showing them a great trail and said they really enjoyed the part that we did ride. I am attaching some pictures for those that like to see pictures.
    EDIT These pictures were taken before we cleaned and taped it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A little Mishap on the BCT today-josh-knee-2.jpg  

A little Mishap on the BCT today-josh-knee-3.jpg  

Last edited by cklog; 01-06-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: to add warning

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That is a pretty good gash. Glad things worked out and hope your son's knee gets better and he gets back out on the trail soon (with some knee armor).

Not only am I a mountain biker but I am also a Jeep/offroad fanatic and it is great to hear your story. Just like mountain bikers, rock krawlers will always help out another dirt lover in need.

You should try the Gnar BCT shuttle. Get to enjoy 30 miles of BCT without doing an out and back.

Brent

mtbr member
    2 problems that could have been remedied by gorilla tape - tire cut and deep skin cut

Pivotal figure
    Duct tape is an important part of my pack supplies. I used it to hold my knee together when I sliced it open back in November...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Carnivore
    I'm about to pass out looking at that gash.

DFMBA.org
    Pics like that need a *graphic* warning, seriously.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    ANyone laying odds on the number of stitches?

I say: 22 inner and 18 outer.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

No Clue Crew
    And that's why I wear knee, shin, elbow, and forearm armor (in addition to the helmet) for EVERY ride. That was pretty nasty. Hope he's back on the bike in short order.

Pivotal figure
    Judging by the size in relation to mine, I'm going with 16 stitches.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    2 problems that could have been remedied by gorilla tape - tire cut and deep skin cut
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Duct tape is an important part of my pack supplies. I used it to hold my knee together when I sliced it open back in November...
    Duct tape is one thing. Gorilla tape is another beast all together...You can tow a car with the sh!t!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    And that's why I wear knee, shin, elbow, and forearm armor (in addition to the helmet) for EVERY ride. That was pretty nasty. Hope he's back on the bike in short order.
    If I fell as much as you do I'd wear all that stuff too.

Sorry couldn't resist.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, I'd be a little scared to use Gorilla tape on my skin. Might take off more than the original injury!

Vitamin Bike Added
    every rider needs a bottle of tissue adhesive in their pack or even better.... A tissue stapler!
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just read about this over on one of the jeep forums I belong to. Great to see the 2 groups co-existing and helping each other out!

As a heads up, there will be a pretty good sized jeep event out there next weekend, as it's time to conduct an annual training course weekend (Saturday). We'll be staging/campming in what I think is now called the Table Mesa trailhead?? Tempted to toss the bike in the camper and stay until Sunday. Never ridden any of the BCT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post

Me too, the day I don't wear the shin/knee guards will be the day I need them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I made the unfortunate error of examining this wound up close. Blood and a bit of flesh usually don't bother me but this one was different. There were things twitching and pulsing in there and I had to look away. It definitely caused my level of concern to increase. CKLOG's son was taking it all in stride and wanted to ride on leaving me to think the cut was superficial. I'm so glad we stopped to wrap it in clean gauze and had that chance to get a closer look. It was definitely severe enough to have warranted extraction. He owes me pie from Rock Springs Cafe for ruining the ride, wouldn't you all agree?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BullitTom View Post
    Just read about this over on one of the jeep forums I belong to. Great to see the 2 groups co-existing and helping each other out!

As a heads up, there will be a pretty good sized jeep event out there next weekend, as it's time to conduct an annual training course weekend (Saturday). We'll be staging/campming in what I think is now called the Table Mesa trailhead?? Tempted to toss the bike in the camper and stay until Sunday. Never ridden any of the BCT.
    It is nice to see groups co-exist. They were more than willing to help. What jeep forum is it? As for throwing the bike in, you will need some time to ride the trails and get the full affect and appreciation for the BCT.

For those curious- The gash warranted 10 stitches

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Yeah, I'd be a little scared to use Gorilla tape on my skin. Might take off more than the original injury!
    you leave it on until if falls off (1-2 days) or let the ER doc worry about it

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cklog View Post
    It is nice to see groups co-exist. They were more than willing to help. What jeep forum is it? As for throwing the bike in, you will need some time to ride the trails and get the full affect and appreciation for the BCT.

For those curious- The gash warranted 10 stitches
    This particular group doing the classes is the Arizona Virtual Jeep Club (Virtual Jeep Club - AZVJC Home Page if it's OK to post other site info here). The guys that picked up your son are also part of the same club. It's a huge group, and pretty broad based...probably similar to the MTBR of jeeping! (And yeah, I do understand that prob comes with certain good and bad connotations! )

A bike ride is TBD for me at the moment. Fork on Blur is back at Fox (AGAIN) and I'm now missing a V-brake pad on my backup bike (Superlight).