mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Little Critters are Gonna Doom Me

With the weather shifting and warming I know there is a need to watch (and listen) for rattle snakes on the trails. Maybe Iím fortunate not to have seen one this season, but it seems to be the only creature not out in force. The desert is lush and starting to bloom and all its inhabitants are busy, which makes for a great ride. But I think these little critters are actually out to wreck me. They are too organized not to have planned this. Iíll bet it was the desert tortoise, though not fast he is old and wise. He told all his shifty little buddies to dart out on the trail in front of bikers (or just me) and haul it straight down the trail not veering off til the last moment. Donít get me wrong, I do not alter my line or speed and though I donít want to run Ďem down I know they made the choice. But therein lies the ingenuity of their plan, I donít slow down, instead I am fixated on the kamikaze critter on the trail in front of me not watching where Iím headed. I tell myself not to watch next time after the chip weasel finally skids off into the brush, but then a lizard darts out running down the trail, tail up, legs all akimbo, moving at unheard of speeds and Iím hooked again. Sometimes Iím even cheering for the little fella. Iím pretty sure this is going to end badly for me, theyíll get me sooner or later. Pick just the right spot in the trail and Iím doomed. Iím just not smart enough to learn anything until I wreck, and then wreck again to make sure.

So just watch out for those little crittersÖ

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I think the rattlers are out mostly for these guys haha (as seen during my ride last night)
    Little Critters are Gonna Doom Me-mrsnake.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice shot. What trail was that on? Never seen that in the wild. One less little guy to distract me.

mtbr member
    you ride enough trail you will see one, guaranteed.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Trail was the CAP connector between Deem and Sonoran

Meatbomb
    I'm with you.. It appears that every critter on the right needs to get to the left side as I approach.

mtbr member

Crazy how different people's experiences can be out there. You haven't seen a rattler this year, I've seen MORE rattlers this spring than any other year! Maybe I should ride with you, I'd like to have a couple snake less trips 😊

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    Crazy how different people's experiences can be out there. You haven't seen a rattler this year, I've seen MORE rattlers this spring than any other year! Maybe I should ride with you, I'd like to have a couple snake less trips 😊
    This is my experience as well. I've seen about 10 this year... after seeing 3 total the last 3 years. I've ridden a lot more this year though so maybe that is it?

mtbr member

Wet winters make more snake food which makes more snakes which makes more snakes out for a bite!

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    This is my experience as well. I've seen about 10 this year... after seeing 3 total the last 3 years. I've ridden a lot more this year though so maybe that is it?
    That's what I'm wondering. I've spent a lot more time in "snakey" areas this year which probably explains the increase. Could be worse, I rode in SoCal a few weeks back and saw on the news the local hospital had 5 rattler bites in the past week alone

mtbr member
    I have killed about 3000 little black beetles on Desert Classic and T100 the last few weeks at night.