workin' it Administrator

... and if we just ... A little AZ passion..........

Snick snick went the gears as I rode along the 3rd street bike path. The sun, waning late in the day, covered me with the first hot rays that I have felt since fall. Striving to push away the cool winter days the sun was giving its all.

Then I sensed it...the smell of heat. It was fleeting but immediately the hairs on the back of my neck pricked and my mind was flushed with nostalgia from many a summers past..................

railing trails at kentucky camp.....blistering in the sun on reddington road after hours on the trail.....railing one last dusk loop around FI desert burnt to a crisp and sweat pouring.....dropping in on golden gate glad to be on the northside of something for once....basking in the meadow in flagstaff then hitting phoenix after a weekend riding and opening your windows and letting that heat gun hit you in the face....summer.

ladies and gentleman the salad days are soon to be upon us.
    Try this: HTFU

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    Snick snick went the gears as I rode along the 3rd street bike path. The sun, waning late in the day, covered me with the first hot rays that I have felt since fall. Striving to push away the cool winter days the sun was giving its all.

Then I sensed it...the smell of heat. It was fleeting but immediately the hairs on the back of my neck pricked and my mind was flushed with nostalgia from many a summers past..................

railing trails at kentucky camp.....blistering in the sun on reddington road after hours on the trail.....railing one last dusk loop around FI desert burnt to a crisp and sweat pouring.....dropping in on golden gate glad to be on the northside of something for once....basking in the meadow in flagstaff then hitting phoenix after a weekend riding and opening your windows and letting that heat gun hit you in the face....summer.

ladies and gentleman the salad days are soon to be upon us.
    Nice... thanks for the thoughts. I am looking foward to our summer heat, but need the spring to acclimate. Every year I have one of those near death riding experiences right around May or June where I am reminded of the importance of hydration and moderation to survive our summers.

Ridin' Dirty
    nice.

I'm ready for the heat to come back. The cooler weather has been nice, that's for sure, but this AZ native is ready for the blistering heat once again.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    somebody has the itch for some serious riding...hmmmm
    (yes i am lurking)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the heat is the only reason we dont have 15 million people living here, it weeds out the weak, but you should embrace the cooler weather while it is here,I like being able to do my chores around the house on a Sunday morning, and then still have nice weather for an afternoon ride, soon that will not be possible..............

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by doAZido
    the heat is the only reason we dont have 15 million people living here, it weeds out the weak, but you should embrace the cooler weather while it is here,I like being able to do my chores around the house on a Sunday morning, and then still have nice weather for an afternoon ride, soon that will not be possible..............
    Sorry to say this, but we're the fastest growing state, and will be at 15 mil very quickly -
    the main reason people come here is for the weather. I live in Tucson. Thats hot enough,
    in fact, a bit too hot for me, especially in June and Sept. I dont mind it durig monsoon
    season, except for the riding can get a little dicey at times. But Phoenix, at an average of
    108-110 during the summer months, yikes, - you cant realistically ride too long in that kind of
    heat. And even after dark, it doesnt cool off much due to the heat island effect. I lived up there
    in '94 when I first took up mtb. You had a short, I'd say 1 hr. window between sunrise and when it started to get hot. During the summers I find its easiest to ride in late/aft/ early eve.
    when the sun is not so direct, and you can get a longer ride in that way too, especially if you
    have a light.

Low speed, High Drag
    I work outside, year 'round. I absolutely dread the summer months, coming back. By the time I get home, I don't have the energy to do much of anything, let alone ride my bike.

However, since I'm missing so much riding, right now, I might have to extend my "riding window" a little further in to the warm months.

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Joined two friends at Afan Argoed forest centre (South Wales) yesterday morning for an early start to try and beat the forcast rain. An hour and a half on the manmade Whites Trail - about 800' of climbing in the gritty conditions generated by the heavy overnight rain but a fine fast descent down a rocky ledgy singletrack Back in the car park we await some later arrivals - about to depart and one rider finds he is down to metal on the brake pads so we freeze our nuts off waiting for him to change them While he's at it I check my front which was a bit thin to start with - it is gone so I join in I have a part worn set of hard sintered pads to put in.

On the way down to the next trails my back brake unexpectedly chews up the pad spring - I have got a lazy piston and the slight drag on a gritty disc has worn away one side - as I change it the rain arrives early! We have a good ride but it is heavy going and the rain keeps on relentlessly - visibility becomes an issue - no glasses = mud in the eye but glasses = mud, water and mist all over the glasses We only suffer one puncture but fixing it in heavy rain with absolutely everything saturated with wet mud and grit is a chore.

4 hours later and we are back. As I remove the wheels to load the car I notice the front pads are down to the wire again and the callipers clagged up with baked on filth - another evening of intensive maintenance lies ahead! Sodden gritty clothes are loaded into plastic bags and we head for the cafe for coffee and cakes - in the warm we are almost dozing off on our seats, eyes red and sore from too much cold wind, grit and water

I am sooooo looking forward to leaving for California next week and will see you guys out on the trail at the Fling - it had better not rain!
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz
    I work outside, year 'round. I absolutely dread the summer months, coming back. By the time I get home, I don't have the energy to do much of anything, let alone ride my bike.

However, since I'm missing so much riding, right now, I might have to extend my "riding window" a little further in to the warm months.
    I also work outside, in the summer i get home from work early enough to take an hour nap, then eat and hydrate and still get maybe 2 hours of riding before sunset, cant really carry enough water to ride much longer anyway on really hot days, plus the trails are empty, stay hydrated and you can ride for a long time in the heat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doAZido
    You're kidding, right? Best time to ride (in summer) is in the afternoons when all the hikers and hbr's hibernate to their ac'd houses and no body is on the trail. Nothing like 2 hours at 110F to keep the blood thin.

47 years an AZ native.
    Gary

workin' it Administrator
    it is funny that when I wrote this it was warm and nice out but then the weather turned and the weekend was cool and windy. That is the best thing about summer:

what's the weather today? Hot, sunny, and over 100F just like every day.

No ambiguity here. Summer you gotta love it.

I always tell friends that we have three seasons here. Hot-Monsoon-Random

GeeDubb last year I commuted all summer, this year I will as well. Love it. The heat and the warmth of riding at 5:30pm everyday is so contrasted by the absolutely wonderful 7:00am riding temperature. Each perfect in their own way. Plus all the snowbirds and the students are gone and kids are out of school so the roads are so much less congested and as you mentioned so are the trails.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm with you GeeDubb...
    Living close to Usery I do a great deal of my riding there. But this time of year between all the equestrians and snow-bird hikers it sure makes me remember how much more I enjoyed the summer when the trails are empty.

As far as population growth... It's very likely most of the population moving down here are part of the AC set... they will have AC at home, they will drive their AC car to their AC job, then drive to the AC grocery & over-air-conditioned mall to shop and back home to AC. While they will have to "suffer" the few moments they will be in the heat to and from their car, they likely won't take the time to truly get outside and learn to enjoy the outdoors. In the end, I'm ok with that because they won't be on the trails now will they?

110 & the sun at its peak... bring it on!

mtbr member
    This reminds me of the time I rode with a guy in Gunnison (a local). It was in the mid to upper 80's and he was complaining about the heat......I told him it was the one advantage I had since I had to try breathing at 8500 feet.

Rockcrusher...I'd commute to work but by the time I get to my bicycle I'm already at work :-) Good on you for commuting on a bike. Traffic scares the hell out of me, especially after bouncing off the side of a truck that ran a red light. What a difference a second makes! sob then fled the scene....cop.."can you describe the driver?" me "well, he looked ***** (** to protect the innocent) " cop "sorry, even if we find the truck and driver, if you can't pick him out of a line up, he's free to go.."
    Now you know why there are so many hit & runs
    Gary