Thread: Lime Kiln

I am Bob

Lime Kiln

Does anyone know anything about the Lime Kiln trail between Sedona and Cottonwood?

Sounds interesting, but I can't seem to find much info on it.

Ahhh the pain....
    Bob,
    rode it in last years coco250. The first part leaving Sedona is a HAB up a ridge then some downhill and really flat grassy stuff across the valley. As you approach cottonwood, you descend some ledgy limestone stuff that is pretty fun.
    Others may have more info, but for me, after it was over, I kept thinking, "damn, the Verde Valley is freaking WIDE"
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

I am Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Bob,
    rode it in last years coco250. The first part leaving Sedona is a HAB up a ridge then some downhill and really flat grassy stuff across the valley. As you approach cottonwood, you descend some ledgy limestone stuff that is pretty fun.
    Others may have more info, but for me, after it was over, I kept thinking, "damn, the Verde Valley is freaking WIDE"
    Thanks, Ray.
    I'm scouting some routes in that area for a much needed break from the world. I was considering the Coco250 route, but I'm looking for a shorter loop more vacation-y loop.

Ahhh the pain....
    Bob, depending on the time of year you're planning it, there are some other good options...
    1. Casner Dirty Century Route (95ish mile loop): Great views of Sycamore Canyon, Sedona, etc. About 70% forest road.
    2. Loop around Mingus: I was putting this one together a few months ago...kind of a combination of coco and pines to mines...Still needs some work, but it'd be a good fall ride.
    3. Casner + Coco : This would be a big loop, that would take the Casner route, but instead of heading north into Flag from Munds, you'd keep heading east towards Mormon Lake where you'd pick up the AZT and take it north into Flag. That one is probably a 2 day trip, maybe 120 miles-ish.
    4. Cottondale Route: This is a fun, one way route Mark and I did in spring that went from Cottonwood to Scottsdale using pieces of the Coco, bunch of forest road, all of BCT, Maricopa Trail, and the Sonoran Preserve. Definitely more like a November ride...

If any of those interest you, I've got GPX's if needed.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Bob,
    We had the good fortune of riding the Lime Kiln a few hours after a storm rolled through on the Coco250 last year (a week after Ray's group). From what Ray told me, we had the better conditions. It seems it tends to get a little soft in sections when dry, but packed down nicely after a rain. I enjoyed it. There are a bunch of pics of Lime Kiln on the blog from that ride. The last few miles into Dead Horse State Park were quite enjoyable!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

parenting for gnarness
    when are you looking? I am planning some sort of bikepack for Oct 12-13. Its only my 2nd time and right now solo, so it would be a humble and safe route near support. I have my eye on Flag-Williams, gotta GTFO of the heat.

I am Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    when are you looking? I am planning some sort of bikepack for Oct 12-13. Its only my 2nd time and right now solo, so it would be a humble and safe route near support. I have my eye on Flag-Williams, gotta GTFO of the heat.
    I'm going during the week of 10/7, but need to be back for the weekend for family stuff. I'm off that week. If there's a chance you can get off during the week let me know.
    I'm thinking that Prescott are would be the best option for weather that time of year. Maybe I should take a peek at the Prescott MonsterX route and add to it to see if I can string some stuff together.

@Ray: Thanks, I've already been eyeing your GPX files on your blog. Definitely good information there.

I am Bob
    Casner+Coco as you described may be the sweet spot for what I'm thinking of. Great suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Bob, depending on the time of year you're planning it, there are some other good options...
    1. Casner Dirty Century Route (95ish mile loop): Great views of Sycamore Canyon, Sedona, etc. About 70% forest road.
    2. Loop around Mingus: I was putting this one together a few months ago...kind of a combination of coco and pines to mines...Still needs some work, but it'd be a good fall ride.
    3. Casner + Coco : This would be a big loop, that would take the Casner route, but instead of heading north into Flag from Munds, you'd keep heading east towards Mormon Lake where you'd pick up the AZT and take it north into Flag. That one is probably a 2 day trip, maybe 120 miles-ish.
    4. Cottondale Route: This is a fun, one way route Mark and I did in spring that went from Cottonwood to Scottsdale using pieces of the Coco, bunch of forest road, all of BCT, Maricopa Trail, and the Sonoran Preserve. Definitely more like a November ride...

If any of those interest you, I've got GPX's if needed.

Ahhh the pain....
    Hey Bob, threw together a gpx but too big to attach here...sent you an email.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman View Post
    I'm going during the week of 10/7, but need to be back for the weekend for family stuff. I'm off that week. If there's a chance you can get off during the week let me know.
    I'm thinking that Prescott are would be the best option for weather that time of year. Maybe I should take a peek at the Prescott MonsterX route and add to it to see if I can string some stuff together.

@Ray: Thanks, I've already been eyeing your GPX files on your blog. Definitely good information there.
    family is outta town the weekend I've got planned now, tis my window.

Casner\Coco route may be right effort\support\weather. I've done most of that, however, and am wanting something new.

My other ride is your mom
    Lime Kiln when dry and hot, sucks. It's pushing your bike on a smooth gradual downhill in loess-like deposits....and it gets hot out there. But if you squint your eyes and cue the John Berry soundtrack....you can imagine yourself riding out on the central prarie, surrounded by bison, on top your horse.

Worth the trip once just to do it, worth it again if you're going somewhere and need to connect two points.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Lime Kiln when dry and hot, sucks. It's pushing your bike on a smooth gradual downhill in loess-like deposits....and it gets hot out there. But if you squint your eyes and cue the John Berry soundtrack....you can imagine yourself riding out on the central prarie, surrounded by bison, on top your horse.

Worth the trip once just to do it, worth it again if you're going somewhere and need to connect two points.

It seems we have a difference of opinion I enthusiastically added it to the 250 after I "rode" it for the first time

banned
    Jul 2013
    The gpx track for Lime Klin is available on the Skidmap database which is available for free online. You can also see the elevation profile. The direction that is most enjoyable I find to be east to west.

The route is not well signed and there are several intersections that have no signage whatsoever. It is best ridden several days after heavy rain to pack down the sandy areas. There are several climb sections you will probably have to walk a short distance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lime Kiln-lime-kiln-1.jpg  

Lime Kiln-lime-klin-2.jpg