mtbr member

Lightweight helmet mounted light/battery recommendations

Anybody have any recommendations for a helmet-mounted night light? I currently have the MagicShine 900 lumens, which is fine. But the battery is a bit too heavy for me to mount to my helmet, so looking for something lighter. I have terrible night vision, so also looking for something bright. I'll be running another MagicShine on the handlebars.

Ideally, I'll mostly be riding on user-built trails in the Sedona area.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

A plethora of pinatas
    For user-built trails in Sedona, I would definitely go with a Baja Strykr SL - Strykr SL System. But, you would want to put the battery in your Camelbak or jersey pocket.
    Marty

Ahhh the pain....
    Send RandyH a note...he knows a ton about light options....
    I run a gemini xera, super small and lightweight lighthead. You can get a helmet mounted battery, but the great thing about them is that they are compatible w all your magicshine batts...
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Light freak

Psssssssssssssst.............

Here is another option -

Standard unit (single mode) weighs 160 grams total weight for light head and battery, ~600 lumens with a 3.5hr run time. Got some others with dimming options and more max lumens.

Been building lights for over 4 years now. Got lights all over the world being used by commuters, mtn bikers, and endurance racers.

These are some of the reasons some people purchase my lights -
    1. - Size
    2. - Weight
    3. - Non proprietary batteries
    4. - Customer service
    5. - Made by someone who uses his lights on an almost daily basis and knows the importance of reliability and has the same passion for biking.

Shoot me an email if you would like some more information. Check out my blog link in my signature for some ride pics and videos.

mtbr member
    Are you in Colorado? If so, I think I have a buddy who bought one of your lights for the 24 Hrs in OP two years ago.

Light freak
    Yep, that would be me.

Light freak
    Ask him how he likes it

mtbr member
    I personally love my Light & Motion Stella 150 N. I swear it's brighter than some 450 lumen lights that I have used like the Cygolite. Also not heavy.

I've only used mine on user built trails in Goodyear, but I'm sure its capabilities will transfer over.

Pivotal figure
    NiteRider MiNewt. Basically a turbocharged flashlight
    Edit: Oops! They've changed the name for this year. It's now called the Lumina. same light, bit more power than mine (I have the 600).
    Niterider – Technical Lighting Systems Lumina 650 – 2013
    Last edited by kenbentit; 08-20-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Correction
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Meatbomb
    I thought the magic shine came with enough cord to stash the battery in your pack . No

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Ask him how he likes it

He said he loved it. If I remember, we had a lot of weather that year, including rain. And it held up fine. I'm going to drop you a note offline.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    NiteRider MiNewt. Basically a turbocharged flashlight
    Edit: Oops! They've changed the name for this year. It's now called the Lumina. same light, bit more power than mine (I have the 600).
    Niterider Technical Lighting Systems Lumina 650 2013
    I actually have this, and may take out on Wednesday. I just have terrible night vision, and if I call from the last time I took it out on the dirt, it was not bright enough for me. But what I'm looking for is something I can strap the battery to my helmet, as I don't typically wear a camelback, and hate the cords that hang from putting the battery in my rear pocket.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I thought the magic shine came with enough cord to stash the battery in your pack . No
    See above. I'm looking for something I can also strap the battery on my helmet. My MS has started to act up--turning off depending on how I move my head. I picked up a new 880 (2000 lumens) for the handlebar.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Send RandyH a note...he knows a ton about light options....
    I run a gemini xera, super small and lightweight lighthead. You can get a helmet mounted battery, but the great thing about them is that they are compatible w all your magicshine batts...
    Jeff, +1 for the Gemini Xera. I got one before OP, and love it. Very bright, and I mount the smaller battery on the back of my helmet...very light setup. Get about 3.5 hours out of the small batt. Let me know if you want to try it out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I use a DiNotte 400L (600 lumens) with battery on the helmet. I run this one step higher than my 1200L+ on the handle bar and it works great. (helmet on Med, Bar on Low).

If you want more light on your helmet and don't mind putting the battery in your pack, look at the XML3. That will put 1200 + lumens on your head. I have a friend who runs 2 XML3's. He runs the both on high for the entire ride, I always know where he is with that much light.

One other question... Are you wearing glasses at night? I can ride with out corrective lenses in the day, but at night I need them.

mtbr member
    I think it does if you buy the helemt mount. I have two miagicshines, and a helmet mount. One has a detatchable exension cord that is plenty long enough to stash a battery in a waist pocket of my camelbak.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    minewt cordless.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Shift less, Pedal more.
    MiNewt Cordless, cause it's so nice not having cords that can get caught in the branches. Light and bright. I've got the 600, but I run it at medium on most trails.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

Pivotal figure
    Casual; I run the MiNewt (Lumina) as my helmet light and the Trail 1500 on my bars. That gives me a nice flood as well as a spot (the MiNewt has a more focused beam than the 1500). I'm assuming the new Lumina has the same beam pattern. It is kinda lacking as a stand alone light unless you're riding in a place that has very low ambient light (away from the City, low moonlight, etc). I've used it for commuting and had trouble seeing with all the streetlight glare. Kinda seems counterintuitive but having more light around doesn't always help if you have to cut thru it to see what you need to see.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    See above. I'm looking for something I can also strap the battery on my helmet.
    Like this?

Last edited by Trail_Blazer; 08-21-2012 at 10:02 PM.

mtbr member
    This looks cool:

Strykr SL System 63-0076
    Strykr SL System