Break it, Fix it, Ride it

The Life Span of a Powerlink

....is about 9 months, or 1200 miles.

I started having serious chain issues in January when, after just buying a new derailler and chain, I broke my derailler on the APC AES event. I end up breaking the chain in a few places to get it to the right length to make it a 32x16 SS I could somewhat ride out.

I fix the derailler at home and proceed to put together my chain, initially without powerlinks. I refused to buy another chain when the one I had wasn't even two weeks old. I had three breaks I had to fix in the chain if I remember. All of them broke on me pretty quickly, one at the Torts AES event and one or two at the 24 HTOP. These were fixed in January/February of this year with powerlinks. I haven't had much trouble since. That makes it at least nine months before one of them gave out. And yes, I fixed it with another powerlink.
    Last edited by Dag Nabbit; 12-11-2012 at 10:22 PM.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    ....is about 9 months, or 1200 miles.

I started having serious chain issues in January when, after just buying a new derailler and chain, I broke my derailler on the APC AES event. I end up breaking the chain in a few places to get it to the right length to make is a 32x16 SS I could somewhat ride out.

I fix the derailler at home and proceed to put together my chain, initially without powerlinks. I refused to buy another chain when the one I had wasn't even two weeks old. I had three breaks I had to fix in the chain if I remember. All of them broke on me pretty quickly, one at the Torts AES event and one or two at the 24 HTOP. These were fixed in January/February of this year with powerlinks. I haven't had much trouble since. That makes it nine at least nine months before one of them gave out. And yes, I fixed it with another powerlink.
    That's great news, I also have some power links in a prescription bottle in my pack in a zippered pocket in case I need them for a chain repair I also purchased a master link pliers (MLP-1) recently for $13 inc. shipping to loosen the link.

TD

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Sweet! Looks like I'm good for another 1000 miles or so....thanks for the field study & I think I have pics of you repairing each and every broken chain!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Sweet! Looks like I'm good for another 1000 miles or so....thanks for the field study & I think I have pics of you repairing each and every broken chain!
    Dag is a trendsetter for that which can fail

DFL>DNF>DNS
    The one that started it all, on the AES APC 65:

From AES - APC65

Round 2: AES Tor de 50, BC lending a helping hand:
    From AES - Tor De 50
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    What's the lifespan of a belt-drive?

I am Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post

Round 2: AES Tor de 50, BC lending a helping hand:
    From AES - Tor De 50
    Looks like you and BC had a few Bud Lights while fixing the chain so you could continue whipping shitties on the dirt track.

My other ride is your mom
    ^^^^LOL....nice spot...I missed that the first time I saw that pic!