Always in the wrong gear

Let's talk Extended group rides

So I'm interested in joining the group for FotP this year. I'm curious of any training pointers or pre-run ideas. I'm just weary of a 70mile event for my first time. Is it wise of a 1.5 year biker to attempt?

Let's hear success stories, not-so-success stories, etc.

Strava data would also be handy...
    Last edited by Coondog#77; 08-23-2013 at 08:30 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm think I'm going to give it a shot this year too! My longest ride is only 40 miles but what the hell... who cares. It will be cool/cold weather, great camaraderie, and you'll be in the city so if you absolutely need to bail out, there are options.

Shred...it's the new drug
    I did it 3 years ago on a 33lb mini dh sled. my training was riding to bueana vista saddle and back. only saw the group at the start, lunch and finish. everyone thought I quit...finished in DFL but I finished and got the socks. maybe this year...we'll see. fun ride and not too crazy. great day on the bike with 50% on payment.

parenting for gnarness
    first, while its not a secret, its an 'underground' event where we could catch static from the Parks folks if we seem to be 'organized' and not just a gathering of friends. Might want to consider changing your post title.

You need to go C2C on Somo, and on T100. That's about 4 hrs of trail riding. The rest are several extended road sections for another ~4 hrs of riding. There are many rally points and abundant food and water stops, but you do need to be able do the mileage. I have several times left the rally points early to go slower on the road at my own pace but not lose the group, etc so there are ways to keep up overall.

Its a great event with lots of good people, definitely give it a try.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    first, while its not a secret, its an 'underground' event where we could catch static from the Parks folks if we seem to be 'organized' and not just a gathering of friends. Might want to consider changing your post title.

You need to go C2C on Somo, and on T100. That's about 4 hrs of trail riding. The rest are several extended road sections for another ~4 hrs of riding. There are many rally points and abundant food and water stops, but you do need to be able do the mileage. I have several times left the rally points early to go slower on the road at my own pace but not lose the group, etc so there are ways to keep up overall.

My extent on SoMo is only doing the National trail from Telegraph Pass back to the Pima lot (once). That's one of my main worries. How does National look like beyond Telegraph? I've NEVER ridden T100. How is that trail compared to others in the area? Is there a GPX of the entire course? I will probably be in the back of the bus so I'd like some tracks to follow if I could.

Kathleen in AZ
    Besides latedropbob that one year, I am usually the last to finish. Last two years I've done this with very little training and even less fitness... while this is possible, it is not advisable. It really is much more fun with some long rides in your recent toolbox. I hope to do a bit more "training" this year, which will consist of some C2C2C rides on National. I will try to remember to post invites here on MTBR as soon as it cools down a bit if anyone wants to tag along at DG pace. I'm not fast, but I will get there (where ever "there" is) eventually!

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post

Honestly I was weary of even posting something, given the nature of the event. I sanitized it a little. I do not intent to step on any toes or bring unwanted attention. On that note I can assume it is not marked so pre-running certain segments would probably be a good idea.

As for training I'm looking to do some longer rides while I commute to Flag this fall for school. Maybe take advantage of the altitude a bit. My longest ride so far was a 33 miler out on the BCT. I was in rough shape then, so I really need to test my limits before I commit to anything.

Bottom line: it sounds like a great time with fellow bikers.

mtbr member
    YOu can always pre ride sections on your own to get a fell for the effort of each section.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    This year I can finally join in with the group. Stoked about that. The past two years I just rode it solo on Thanksgiving, mainly to see how long it would take. First year I finished well after dark and I started at 7:30a or so, last year I think I started around 6a and was back at Pima around 4pm.

Arturo, if you want to check out the rest of National, just park at the Ranger TH & take the road up to Telegraph (nice warmup), do a little HAB then enjoy the highly underrated west National ridgeline. Down at the bottom, if you want some more 'trail' i.e. non-flowy XC chunk, take Bajada over to Ranger for the finish.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member

Let's talk Extended group rides

John, did you stop at the grassy knoll for beer and bacon? If not, you did not have the full experience.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Why do you think I'm going back for the group edition? Gotta get me some bacon on the grassy knoll!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    I think it can be done with a year and a half under your belt. I think National is the big test on that route. I'd suggest you try a C2C2C like DurtGurl mentioned. If you make it to the San Juan lookout and feel awful you've got an easy way to bail.

Always in the wrong gear
    I'm not sure what you all mean by C2C2C... I assume it's an out and back on the national route, can some one clarify that for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coondog#77 View Post
    I'm not sure what you all mean by C2C2C... I assume it's an out and back on the national route, can some one clarify that for me.
    Pretty much. Ride national end to end and back (Coast to Coast to Coast).