mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Lesson learned and thanks to LBS

Last Thursday night during a group night ride, I heard a rattle coming from my handle.
    I found the bolt securing my X9 rear shifter had come loose from the Avid Matchmaker.
    Not wanting to be "that guy" that stops all the time I chose to ignore it...despite my inner voice of reason telling otherwise.....wrong decision.

The bolt came out, disappeared, leaving my shifter hanging in the wind...what the cuss!

So now where do I get a bolt that fits so I can ride on the weekend??.

Slippery Pig on Central to the rescue. After 5 minutes sifting through the small parts "avid" bin, we scored the exact bolt. Total props to the Pig, they saved my weekend and were happy to help.

Lesson learned: if you cannot tighten the bolt and know it is going to come out, you might want to just take it out, put in you pocket and save the aggravation of trying to find a replacement....or just check you nuts and bolts are tight.

dirt visionary
    ace hardware would have had the bolt ..but cool you got it sorted at the lbs.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Glad you luck in there....I went there two weeks ago for the first time...I was looking to possibly buy a new 29er.....after 30 mins of no one helping me....I left......I even asked two mechanics in the back if someone could help me and they both looked at me like I was from another planet?....Weird place and weird people....I'll never be back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D in AZ View Post
    Last Thursday night during a group night ride, I heard a rattle coming from my handle.
    I found the bolt securing my X9 rear shifter had come loose from the Avid Matchmaker.
    Not wanting to be "that guy" that stops all the time I chose to ignore it...despite my inner voice of reason telling otherwise.....wrong decision.

The bolt came out, disappeared, leaving my shifter hanging in the wind...what the cuss!

So now where do I get a bolt that fits so I can ride on the weekend??.

Slippery Pig on Central to the rescue. After 5 minutes sifting through the small parts "avid" bin, we scored the exact bolt. Total props to the Pig, they saved my weekend and were happy to help.

Lesson learned: if you cannot tighten the bolt and know it is going to come out, you might want to just take it out, put in you pocket and save the aggravation of trying to find a replacement....or just check you nuts and bolts are tight.
    Also a good idea to include a couple spare bolts--bottle cage, cleat, shifter--as part of your riding essentials.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rack Man View Post
    Glad you luck in there....I went there two weeks ago for the first time...I was looking to possibly buy a new 29er.....after 30 mins of no one helping me....I left......I even asked two mechanics in the back if someone could help me and they both looked at me like I was from another planet?....Weird place and weird people....I'll never be back!
    FYI, the exact same thing happened to me about a year ago. Bought my Rockhopper SL from Landis instead since they were eager to help and make the sale. I drove up to Slippery Pig because of all the reviews on here and despite obviously looking at the bikes like somebody who doesn't own one, nobody paid attention. Mechanic was working on something and there were two guys talking about random crap that wasn't in any way related to bikes. I didn't bother to ask for help after 15 minutes because their bikes aren't free. Quick way to go out of business.