Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Vitamin Bike Added

Leading a Highline ride tomorrow, need some guidence (joiners welcome!)

I am meetin up with a few Canadian guys tomorrow in Sedona to 'lead' a highline ride. We are planning to park at Bike and Bean and hit highline then loop over to Broken arrow, across HOH and hit Sickboy then back up to chicken point and back to Bike and Bean. Can anyone explain the best way to link up to the highline (if I remember correctly it is right off slim shady?) then get across to broken arrow? I have only ridden Sedona once and was part of a larger group so don't remember the directions too well.

Also, will be heading out at 9AM, all of us intermediate riders (I might be the hack of the group but not sure), anyone who would like to is welcome to join!

Thanks in advance
    Keep the rubber side down

Huffy Rider
    The only way to get to highline is from Slim Shady, at its high point. Can't miss it, as there is a sign there now. To get to broken arrow from the backside of highline, you gotta go up the templeton switchbacks, then are several ways to meander over to BA. I like Easy Breezy, HT, Little Horse.

9am is quite a late start for the heat we are having right now. I rode Highline yesterday and was FINISHED at 9am and it was already quite hot. Take a TON of water and be mindful of the heat. Come back in a few months and I would be very happy to show you a fun loop including the trails you wanna ride!

Brenda

Vitamin Bike Added
    Thanks Brenda! That's a great help.

mtbr member
    This^^^. Eazy Breezy is nice because it's shady. Access it by riding down the slickrock bowl just past the Templeton intersection with the Back of Beyond trail or whatever it is all the tourons are hiking to Cathedral Rock.

Also a word of warning but if you know how to find it, Sickboy is not for the timid. I'd be leery of taking intermediates on it. But I guess the same goes for the backside of HiLine, although it's easier to walk the more difficult sections. Just my 2cents. Have fun!
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Vitamin Bike Added
    Thanks rock, I've ridden highline and sickboy before. Loved the sickboy steeps so if the guys can ride back side highline we will do sickboy, if they hab it, will give it a pass.

mtbr member
    Kewl beans. The rest of HOH and Hog Heaven doesn't suck either. But Chapel trail kind of does if you were going to head back to VOC on Llama. Or, just cut through the neighborhoods back to HT Eazy Sleezy and cut over to finish with a fine downhill on Slim Shady. That's a 17 mile figure 8 dealio from VOC.

I'm getting excited for Sedona Season. It's almost here. The trails are too muddy in Flag.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Huffy Rider
    I made an untrue statement above...you can also access Highline from upper made in the shade, but it is not for intermediate riders and has some steep, uphill HAB. SS is the best option for the ride you want....and I LOVE CHAPEL!!!! It is grueling and painful and a b!tch to clean at the end of a long ride!

There is no mud in Flag, it doesn't rain in AZ, this is the desert.

Shred...it's the new drug
    that damn sickboy took my elbow...sickboy!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    I made an untrue statement above...you can also access Highline from upper made in the shade, but it is not for intermediate riders and has some steep, uphill HAB. SS is the best option for the ride you want....and I LOVE CHAPEL!!!! It is grueling and painful and a b!tch to clean at the end of a long ride!

There is no mud in Flag, it doesn't rain in AZ, this is the desert.
    Chapel? You are one sick bike hucking lady

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I'm getting excited for Sedona Season. It's almost here. The trails are too muddy in Flag.
    You just hate the rain. Please leave Arizona.

Hey, it's what the peanut gallery told me when I dared to suggest that trails with six inch deep ruts aren't the best riding experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    You just hate the rain. Please leave Arizona.

Hey, it's what the peanut gallery told me when I dared to suggest that trails with six inch deep ruts aren't the best riding experience.
    Eazy E, keep following your breathing exercises. You're going to be OK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    I made an untrue statement above...you can also access Highline from upper made in the shade
    That trail was part of the closure order...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Vitamin Bike Added
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    that damn sickboy took my elbow...sickboy!!!!!!!
    Which part of sickboy you crash on? First roller? The second roller has a really harsh run out which I found a little saucy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    That trail was part of the closure order...
    Woahey is correct, not that you can tell from the high quality FS map http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5413875.pdf

mtbr member
    Woahey is correct, not that you can tell from the high quality FS map http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5413875.pdf
    Nice to know the toaster is also the printer.

banned
    Jul 2013
    When the FS says user created mountain bike trails are not sustainable the Taint trail is a great example of why they have that VIEWPOINT. You have to wonder if the renegades who built that trail have any remorse.

A bunch of us have been trying to convince the FS the user created trails are normally pretty well routed. Having to defend that position when the FS mentions that trail is pointless.

It seems like it would be a good idea for the MTB community to sacrifice that trail in a effort to help convince the FS that poorly routed trails need to be decommissioned by the group that built it and their friends.

PK has said the FS knows who built every trail and if those people were to re-naturalize some of their mistakes it might help to lift the closure order sooner rather than later.

Good luck on your Hiline to HOH ride, conditions should be good.

Huffy Rider
    How was the ride?

Meatbomb
    What a Country

Vitamin Bike Added
    Great ride. Actually bumped into traildoc and he stepped in as guide since I was not only slower than the guys I was leading but also not as proficient a Sedona guide anyway. Didn't make it so sickboy but these guys perhaps save for needing burlier bikes wouldn't have had much trouble with it. Moto, you weren't kidding, smoking hot by noon up there.
    Last edited by MTBCanuck; 09-05-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Huffy Rider
    Ya, we got a mini heat wave. Come back this winter and I can show you the double H. 50 degrees is just about perfect for that ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBCanuck View Post
    Which part of sickboy you crash on? First roller? The second roller has a really harsh run out which I found a little saucy.
    This time of year I start having powder skiing and Sedona riding daydreams. I'm missing me some Sickboy, Hiline, and Slim Shady.

The second roller is my favorite. It's so steep and you gotta creep into it so it's not too harsh.

Here is an edit of those trails and some other stuff as well.

Sedona Riding 2013 - YouTube

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBCanuck View Post
    Great ride. Actually bumped into traildoc and he stepped in as guide since I was not only slower than the guys I was leading but also not as proficient a Sedona guide anyway. Didn't make it so sickboy but these guys perhaps save for needing butler bikes wouldn't have had much trouble with it. Moto, you weren't kidding, smoking hot by noon up there.
    Did TD represent the older than 64 crowd today? Was he making excuses when he couldn't ride difficult sections?

Vitamin Bike Added
    Naw he rode hard but admitted white line was for the kids. He was the only one brave enough to session the templeton uphill switchbacks while the rest of us habed

Shred...it's the new drug
    upper roller...wasn't fully committed to doing it...but dropped in anyways. too saucy...hit rock on right to left elbow to HAB out to BA to Sedona Medical...nice view from the waiting room there. someday I'll post vid...I want to ride 99.9% of sedona before I do that thing again.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    upper roller...wasn't fully committed to doing it...but dropped in anyways. too saucy...hit rock on right to left elbow to HAB out to BA to Sedona Medical...nice view from the waiting room there. someday I'll post vid...I want to ride 99.9% of sedona before I do that thing again.
    Sounds like you attempted to ride the White Line, but something went wrong and you ended up hiking out Broken Arrow and maybe went to the Urgent Care. Good to hear you are OK, and want to check out some other trails.

I look forward to the video, please share it with us when you get a chance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast