mtbr member

Which LBS would you trust with your fork?

Need to get my fork serviced. Not a standard service I'm fearful. Having an issue with the damper/rebound. I can't lock it out, the rebound adjustment is not working, and I hear a small ping on the rebound.

Any recommendations for an LBS who might be able to address? Any fork gurus might know what could be going on?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    That's why Dog made rigids!! (Sorry, couldn't resist)
    I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    What fork?

SCRUBDUNKER
    Go to Joey at Trailhead. He is on his honeymoon but is back tomorrow.

and get a rigid fork

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've worked with Adrian over at Bicycles of Phoenix by PV Mall. He's awesome at forks and all other kinds of mechanical issues. His specialty is the big downhill forks but he does work on all of them.

I've also seen on here that Kelstr (I think) is a fork guru. Might want to try PM'ing him.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    That's why Dog made rigids!! (Sorry, couldn't resist)
    LOL, I KNEW this was coming. Just didn't think it would come so soon :-).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    What fork?
    Reba RLT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by razardica View Post
    Go to Joey at Trailhead. He is on his honeymoon but is back tomorrow.

and get a rigid fork
    Cool. I actually need to head over there tomorrow. Not much luck at Trailhead in the past, but I've heard good things about Joey.

And F the rigid fork. I'm old.

SCRUBDUNKER
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Cool. I actually need to head over there tomorrow. Not much luck at Trailhead in the past, but I've heard good things about Joey.

And F the rigid fork. I'm old.
    Joey is the mechanic for Nationwide and an awesome wrench

If you didn't like Trailhead before, give it a shot now that Joey is there - I was same boat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyChap View Post
    I've worked with Adrian over at Bicycles of Phoenix by PV Mall. He's awesome at forks and all other kinds of mechanical issues. His specialty is the big downhill forks but he does work on all of them.

I've also seen on here that Kelstr (I think) is a fork guru. Might want to try PM'ing him.
    Good to know. I think that is who I met when I went in there a couple months ago. he seemed pretty knowledgeable, but I get nervous when we get into more complicated things like forks. Typically, I get my forks serviced by Push. But my feeling is, this is not a standard fix (and not sure if Push does that kind of stuff).

mtbr member
    Sunday Cycles. You know, the shop for which you host rides for

but seriously, they worked on my reba once and it held up very nicely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Sunday Cycles. You know, the shop for which you host rides for

but seriously, they worked on my reba once and it held up very nicely.
    Hhmmm, while I LOVE Sunday Cycle, this is one repair I'm not sure I trust them with. What did they do for you, and how long ago?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've heard randyharris is highly skilled in the dark arts of the suspension fork. #singlespeedmonster#forkguru#steelisreal#rudysbbq# manitoutower

you may want to add a little oil to the top of the damper leg to see if its just a low oil issue. it may be a little low, which happens, but if you need to add more than say 10cc, you may want to have a shop tear all the way into it.

+1 to joey as well. isn't he the owner of trailhead?
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

SCRUBDUNKER
    Kiel Marley is the owner of the Trailhead, Joey is the assistant manager and head mechanic and all around good person

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971 View Post
    I've heard randyharris is highly skilled in the dark arts of the suspension fork. #singlespeedmonster#forkguru#steelisreal#rudysbbq# manitoutower

you may want to add a little oil to the top of the damper leg to see if its just a low oil issue. it may be a little low, which happens, but if you need to add more than say 10cc, you may want to have a shop tear all the way into it.

+1 to joey as well. isn't he the owner of trailhead?
    Good suggestion regarding the oil. Bad suggestion regarding Randy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Good suggestion regarding the oil. Bad suggestion regarding Randy.
    once you get past the attitude, he really is a nice guy.
    #quadzilla #cyborg #pitajungle #+1joey

@randyharris - i still have that kona mechanics shirt for you.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971 View Post
    once you get past the attitude, he really is a nice guy.
    #quadzilla #cyborg #pitajungle #+1joey

@randyharris - i still have that kona mechanics shirt for you.
    And I'm sure I owe you a lunch - maybe next week?

Tower Pro running strong.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    And I'm sure I owe you a lunch - maybe next week?

Tower Pro running strong.
    that could work. don't let me forget i still have your leftover fork oil... and that MILO kit... and that syncros tire.

i'm going to starve myself for a week.

#ycs_mongolian #1gear4eva #noshoxnomo

Always in the wrong gear
    Might be out of your way, but I took my Reba to Flat Tire Bikes in Cave Creek. Cool guys and good work from what I can tell.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Roca Roja Breezy 29+ SS

Flat Tire Bike Shop, Cave Creek, AZ

bland
    Out of you way, and I'm a little biased, but Flag Bike Rev in flagstaff has excellent service AND guarantees next business day turnaround on all repairs. If they have the parts in stock you get your fork the next day. They have a big stock of fork parts and use motorex oils.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coondog#77 View Post
    Might be out of your way, but I took my Reba to Flat Tire Bikes in Cave Creek. Cool guys and good work from what I can tell.
    I think the guy Raz is recommending used to work at Flat Tire. Was this recently, or possibly it was Joey who worked on it.

Nonetheless, thankfully I'm not in any huge hurry. I do have a second bike I can ride. But the damn thing has these weird things on the handlebars, and some goofy contraception on the back wheel. I'll need to figure out how to use those.

SCRUBDUNKER
    Yes, Joey used to work at Flat Tire

mtbr member

Ted at DNA Cycles Mesa rebuilt my Reba and it is now flawless. Amazing mechanic - can't go wrong.

Alive and Lurkin'

Rage

Sent using Tap N Stalk
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Always in the wrong gear
    I think the guy Raz is recommending used to work at Flat Tire. Was this recently, or possibly it was Joey who worked on it.

Nonetheless, thankfully I'm not in any huge hurry. I do have a second bike I can ride. But the damn thing has these weird things on the handlebars, and some goofy contraception on the back wheel. I'll need to figure out how to use those.
    It was this past summer and I only remember him being a big fella with an awesome beard, he rode a fatbike during the night rides.

Not sure about the contraception you're using on the back up ride. Having a "bike on the side" comes with risks.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Roca Roja Breezy 29+ SS

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    Out of you way, and I'm a little biased, but Flag Bike Rev in flagstaff has excellent service AND guarantees next business day turnaround on all repairs. If they have the parts in stock you get your fork the next day. They have a big stock of fork parts and use motorex oils.
    FBR is awesome!!! Too bad after next week it will be a long drive for me to see them.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Roca Roja Breezy 29+ SS

Just Joshin' ya!
    Last time I took my 2008 Marzocchi 55 to Rage for a rebuild (oil change and seal change), they left me with an ETA lever that just spun round and round and my front brake was fouled with fork oil. I tried Javelina cycles once for a rebuild and the Micro TST did nothing and the ETA didn't engage. To be fair, it was a Marzocchi from the "dark years" so I think most mechanics would have struggled with putting that thing back to gather.

At both shops, I took the fork back and they fixed everything so that it was perfect....it would have been nice if they could have gotten it right the first time but it was all well in the end.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Hhmmm, while I LOVE Sunday Cycle, this is one repair I'm not sure I trust them with. What did they do for you, and how long ago?
    reba rl 2012 model, they re built it feb 2013

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coondog#77 View Post
    It was this past summer and I only remember him being a big fella with an awesome beard, he rode a fatbike during the night rides.
    I'm pretty sure that's Joey, who is at Trailhead now. Win-win for me: they are the closest shop to me, and Joey has gotten sparkling reviews. I'll try and fix it myself, and then bring in for Joey to fix it for me (and all the new things I'll break in the process).

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure that's Joey, who is at Trailhead now. Win-win for me: they are the closest shop to me, and Joey has gotten sparkling reviews. I'll try and fix it myself, and then bring in for Joey to fix it for me (and all the new things I'll break in the process).
    So any report back?

My Manitou Minute Expert is doing some strange things I need it checked out. Consider Sunday or trailhead. Bike is the car and I will be taking it by the shop after work. Both trailhead and Sunday are on the way home.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", Fetish Fixation SS 26" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Joe,

I've been happy with the work Jamie at Sunday has done for me the past few times I have been in... they are on my way home from work so they are convenient. I wouldn't hesitate to use Joey as others have mentioned.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    Not sure if you ever get down to Tucson, but Dane Higgins (formerly of Fair Wheel Bikes, now at Trek Bikes in Oro Valley) has a side business doing suspension work and he is an amazing wrench. A number of the local shops send suspension work to him rather than doing the work themselves. You can reach him at the Trek Store. I'm sure you could mail the fork.

mtbr member
    Took it Sunday and they did not want to work on it. Strangely the fork felt better, but I not sure why. They suggested sending to back to Manitou. I am going to try Trailhead on Tuesday. If they say no I will just do it myself. I can't wait 3-4 weeks to send the fork and turn it around.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", Fetish Fixation SS 26" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Ow!
    You could always try to fix it yourself. Forks are generally very easy to maintain and overhaul, especially Rock Shox. It takes time (which you may not have), but at least you will know it was reassembled correctly, and learn a bit about the fork.

Yes, I do just about everything on my bikes. More bad experiences than good with shops. I am not very mechanically inclined, which means it takes a long time.

mtbr member
    That is what I decided to do today.

Ordered a rebuild kit and will rebuild it myself. In fact the fork fells normal now I have not done a thing to it. I am thinking a good cleaning freshening will do the trick. I have take apart car engines so this is not hard. I was hoping to take the easy route and just farm it out, but I trust myself just much more.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Finished the Rebuild and did a test ride. All is well.

Rebuild process was quite simple really. Here are all internals removed. Put in new seals/wipers and O-rings and new fluids.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which LBS would you trust with your fork?-img-20140227-00315.jpg  

Joe

Ahhh the pain....
    Nice work Joe....I just rebuilt a Reba Race last week that was feeling a bit sticky. Turns out the oil volume in the damper leg was wrong since the remote lockout didn't really change the fork behavior. Now that it's correct, I can go from plush to firm with a press of a button...sweet!
    Highly suggest trying this, especially if all you're doing it changing the oil and seals. Tons of great resources on the internet to help.
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Thanks Ray! When I took it apart I noticed very little semi-bath oil in the bottom of the damper leg. That might have been causing it to lock up at times. Anyway now with fresh fluid and damper fluid restored to the right levels it seem really nice. No more arm chattering on the smaller rocks. Does what I want which is to take the edge off the bumps on the hands.

It was in fact much easier than I expected. Took me about 2.5hrs over a couple days mostly because I went very slowly.
    Joe

Ow!
    Great, Joe. Rock Shox are soooo easy to work on, everyone who owns one should maintain their own. I have kept my old Reba and Pike running great by simple maintenance. Started using my older Lyrik recently, but it doesn't seem to run all that well. So, will tear it down this weekend--likely just need to clean and get new oil in there.

mtbr member
    Mine is a Manitou Minute Expert. Pretty basic fork really.
    Joe

Ow!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Mine is a Manitou Minute Expert. Pretty basic fork really.
    Oh, sorry. And, good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clydecrash View Post
    Oh, sorry. And, good.
    Don't worry they are all pretty much the same inside.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Don't worry they are all pretty much the same inside.
    What time do you guys close, and what do you charge?

mtbr member
    What time do you guys close, and what do you charge?
    I have considered opening up a shop that specializes in fork rebuilds and does them right. The only problem is that I come from an automotive background where labor rates are $60 to $120 a hour. (I have experience doing engine rebuilds and built a race car with my father). I don't know that mtn bikers would pay that kind of labor rate. Then again maybe they would, but for me it is not really a good profit margin. Reason being is that I am slow. It took me about 2-3 hrs to do the rebuild and few more hrs to research the parts and get them on hand. Not a big deal for one fork over a few days time, but that would not be profitable. No way you would pay me $300 plus parts to rebuild a $250 fork. I bet with practice I could drop that labor time to $100 to 120, but only for a fork I already have done since there is no learning curve.

BTW this did not include new bushings in the lowers. No need to replace them and I would need special tooling to pull them.
    Joe

mtbr member

Just throwing this out there, sorry if I missed where someone mentioned him already. Kevin over at Gordys is a real solid guy to work with. Always fair on the price, turn around times are good on repairs and they don't try and sell me what I don't need. I've purchased three bikes through him and the whole process has been great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    is a squishy-noise indicative of need for a rebuild, even if the shock seems to be otherwise functioning?