mtbr member

Last minute vacation plans in North Phoenix area!

Found myself planning a last-minute couple of days with my sister while she is in Arizona for work. It quickly occurred to me I should throw my bike in the car and squeeze a quick ride in too, since Arizona is known for their trails

I began to dig through the resources for biking, but I honestly don't have time to plan this carefully I am leaving before dawn Thursday! I need some help choosing a trail where I can get a quick ride in (4 hours MAX for commute and ride, schedule is tight). I will be in the North Phoenix area, near Deer Valley.

I am still a bit green on mountain biking, I would say a beginner moving into intermediate. Sketchy fire roads are no problem, but tight singletrack with sharp twists makes me uneasy, even if it is smooth. Singletrack in itself is not a problem, just really twisty stuff as I am still trying to keep my lines! I handle challenging stuff better with plenty of room on wide paths Not doing any drops yet either. I have been riding in the deserts in Socal, so I have experience with beginner desert riding in stuff like sand and eroded rutty/rocky-type areas. Bike is equipped to handle desert trails.

I really want to have a good time, and don't want to end up over my head on a trail. It would be a bummer for me, and a bummer for the bikers behind me that I am holding up Even more so, I am in town to see my baby sis! I don't want to keep her waiting for me to come down the mountain, nor do I want her visiting ME in the ER for going somewhere I shouldn't have :P

Help me mtbr! You guys rock! <3

Ahhh the pain....
    From where you're at and your skill level, I'd go here Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Sonoran Preserve Hiking Map and Trail Descriptions. There are two groups of trails, one north and one south. Their is a connection between but it's not very well marked.
    Just be sure you have sealant in your tires (or tubes) and watch out for snakes...(don't ride with headphones).
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Meatbomb
    Sounds like the Sonoran Preserve loops would be the best bet given location and skill level.

Trail head starts at 7th ave the Carefree Highway.

Others with more experience will chime in but I 'think' it's best ridden CCW.

My other ride is your mom
    Sonoran Preserve....game over.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Sounds like the Sonoran Preserve loops would be the best bet given location and skill level.

Trail head starts at 7th ave the Carefree Highway.

Others with more experience will chime in but I 'think' it's best ridden CCW.
    I found CCW to be a smidgen easier than CW. Not too much difference to me. Definitely not enough difference to ride exclusively one way. Same with the southern section.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    I found CCW to be a smidgen easier than CW. Not too much difference to me. Definitely not enough difference to ride exclusively one way. Same with the southern section.
    CW if you want to have a nice long rollercoaster of a descent and shorter but steeper climbs.

CCW if you want to have a long and gradual climb but steep and short descent (some with hard switchbacks)

mtbr member
    Here is the whole Sonoran enchilada if you feel strong - don't let the 30 miles scare you - those are pretty easy miles. And watch out for rattlers especially on that southeastern loop on the map (owl/cactus wren and its connectors)

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Apr 4, 2013 - Rattle and Run near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava

and if you got time hit up Black Canyon City - those miles are a bit tougher

parenting for gnarness
    hi Maya, sorry cant show you around - you are a very cool girl from the OC. Agree with recs on the Sonoran preserve. its mostly pretty buff and not terribly tight. Not the most unique system in Phx but sounds like it will be a good fit based on your needs.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys! I looked at the Sonoran Preserve website, and it sounds like a small area. I should have time to ride all the trails there, right? Three hours for a slow climber with average speed otherwise sound about right? My regular ride is basically a 4 mile climb, 4 mile decent, takes 45 minutes to an hour. Slow and steady up, haul ass with a huge ****-grin on the way down

Also, what is CW and CCW? Help a noob out!

I hadn't put the slime in my tires yet, but I will put it in tonight before bed. I also have ultra beefy tubes, and carry a CO2 pump, patches and levers, and a spare tube for major fails. Also, cell phone I am more concerned about the fork that I just replaced the spring in. I only had time for some tooling around the block and adjustments. If I messed it up, the trails will let me know!

On my way to pick up rental car, a few hours sleep, then to Arizona! Totally stoked!

Happy Trails

Last minute vacation plans in North Phoenix area!

Fair question.
    CCW = counter clockwise.
    CW = counter counter clockwise.

mtbr member
    I'd rather get my climb done and enjoy the decent.

Clockwise it is!