mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Last Call for Alcohol

Just a heads up ... a great event in taking place in Pine, AZ the weekend of September 14th ... the Fire On The Rim mountain bike race. We've added a couple miles of fun singletrack to challenge the "chunksters". Those doing multiple laps will bypass town and continue on Trail 15 over to Hardscrabble Road.. approximately 2.5 miles of additional very nice techy trail... Stick around after the race on Sunday and ride Bearfoot Trail. We should have approximately 5 miles complete by then ... do and out and back ... 10 miles perfect post race ride.... Check out the events on the FOtR website... music, beer, food ... That Brewery needs to sell a lot of beer that nite .... every nite for that matter otherwise they will be turning the brewery into a gift and knick knack paddy whack shop...this is an old fashion mountain bike race .... grass roots which means we are all like the roots of grass if we participate and drink enough beer. Use your get out of jail free card and come up to Pine .. I mean ... let's see ... it will be 100 in Foonix .... so ride trail 100 for the 1000th time or ....meet some great people, ride some new trail, and smile in 70-80 degree temps...

One Lap -- worked up a lather with plenty of energy to hoot at those genetic freaks doing 3 laps while throwing back a Road Rash IPA
    Two Laps -- May need a recovery drink or two ... and reflect a bit before hurrying to Euthanasia to see the next crash victim while hoisting a dark Stout or Porter.
    Three Laps - 7000' feet of climbing .... you all are genetic freaks especially if you hang with the one lappers and drink beer

mtbr member
    In!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Go Speed Racer
    In also, and between my wife and I, we will drink PLENTY of that beer!

mtbr member
    90% sure I'll do it. It's only $60.

Anybody going there for a pre-ride? I was thinking maybe next weekend to see what it's like before I sign up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'll be in Pine all weekend... doing house project but need time to sneak away for a good 3-4 hour ride. contact me 90minuteipa4@gmail.com

mtbr member
    So, seriously, how bad does the climb up Hardscrabble suck? The elevation profile looks horrific.

The thought of doing it twice....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Last Call for Alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    So, seriously, how bad does the climb up Hardscrabble suck? The elevation profile looks horrific.

The thought of doing it twice....
    It sucks a lot.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Go Speed Racer
    I look forward to meeting some of you guys in person when we are up there for the race. This is my first race since I raced a few times when I was a kid (20+ years ago), so I am really looking forward to it. I am taking up my trailer and will be camping out from Fri-Sun. It is a white 26 foot trailer that says "Tahoe" on it in blue. Stop by and say hi I have been "training" fairly hard. Probably doubled my rides, and pushing a lot harder. I have not ridden in the higher country much (barely), so I am not really sure what to expect. Basically, I am looking to finish the race (I guess since I am only doing 1 lap, short of being carried out I will acheive that goal), and not dead last (hopefully mid pack), and have a great time at the event.

I am only doing the 15 miler. Basically did not want to "bite off more than I can chew" for my first race. My hats off to you guys that are doing multiple laps, and on single speeds, that is insane!

Look forward to meeting some of you guys and having a few brewskis!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: Last Call for Alcohol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Good to hear you're coming up I'll look for your trailer one lap means you have a lot of room for beer and you can watch the carnage on trail 15

Last edited by 90minIPA; 08-27-2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

The climb isn't deadly but some people start out a little strong from the start finish line and suffer toward the top. There are plenty of other places to expend energy so save a little bit of juice for some of the other climbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90minIPA View Post
    The climb isn't deadly but some people start out a little strong from the start finish line and suffer toward the top. There are plenty of other places to expend energy so save a little bit of juice for some of the other climbs.
    Yeah, I think if there's one lesson to take from my first couple of races it's don't come out of the pocket too hard. It's easy to do, what with the crowd, the cowbell, the cheers, the other racers, etc. At the Old Fashioned, most of the guys in Sport just ripped out of the gate. I had a feeling what was going to happen and I just hung back and kept a comfortable pace. Sure enough, a mile later, I was passing those fools like it was going out of style.

Oh, here's a pro tip from somebody who used to be a repsitatory therapist, learn this:

Pursed lip breathing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I felt like it helped me a lot. The more air you can help get into your blood, with less effort, the better.

Go Speed Racer
    Yeah, I think if there's one lesson to take from my first couple of races it's don't come out of the pocket too hard. It's easy to do, what with the crowd, the cowbell, the cheers, the other racers, etc. At the Old Fashioned, most of the guys in Sport just ripped out of the gate. I had a feeling what was going to happen and I just hung back and kept a comfortable pace. Sure enough, a mile later, I was passing those fools like it was going out of style.

Oh, here's a pro tip from somebody who used to be a repsitatory therapist, learn this:

Pursed lip breathing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I felt like it helped me a lot. The more air you can help get into your blood, with less effort, the better.
    Eazy, do you do this when riding, or after?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Eazy, do you do this when riding, or after?
    During. My personal thing is, down in PHX or the lower elevations, if I create too much of an oxygen deficit, like climbing a hill, usually I can just coast a while and catch back up with myself. In Flag, if I go over the threshold, I have to stop, I can't just coast and catch up. At least not yet. So, if you're not acclimated to the altitude, starting out with pursed lip will help prevent you from going into an oxygen deficit. You could also do that before the race starts to help get a little more O2 into your blood initially.

More:

High Altitude Breathing Technique | LIVESTRONG.COM

mtbr member
    During. My personal thing is, down in PHX or the lower elevations, if I create too much of an oxygen deficit, like climbing a hill, usually I can just coast a while and catch back up with myself. In Flag, if I go over the threshold, I have to stop, I can't just coast and catch up. At least not yet. So, if you're not acclimated to the altitude, starting out with pursed lip will help prevent you from going into an oxygen deficit. You could also do that before the race starts to help get a little more O2 into your blood initially.

More:

Ah, a LiveStrong article on high altitute training. I'm assuming there is mention of EPO and HGH?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Go Speed Racer

More:

Thanks Man!

Oh, and everytime I see your name on here I say to myself.. "Now I'm easy E I got ....."

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think if there's one lesson to take from my first couple of races it's don't come out of the pocket too hard. It's easy to do, what with the crowd, the cowbell, the cheers, the other racers, etc. At the Old Fashioned, most of the guys in Sport just ripped out of the gate. I had a feeling what was going to happen and I just hung back and kept a comfortable pace. Sure enough, a mile later, I was passing those fools like it was going out of style. ...
    Spot on. At old fashioned in sport I was on far right side maybe 3-4 rides deep. Pretty much in the front of pack and when we all went I rode my pace and started dropping back pretty fast. Not sure how deep I went, but I just rode what I could knowing there was alot of miles to ride and plenty of distance to the single track. Just like you a few minutes I started re passing many of those guys that got out of the gate hard. I don't think it makes sense to bust out of the start so hard that you have to slow down later. Start fast, but at a pace/effort you can maintain and let the race come to you. I am not at risk if winning so I would rather lose a little time at the start than push too hard and have to stop and re group in the race. It not that slow and steady wins the race, but steady and reasonably fast does well. If you blow up or crash hard you can lose more time than backing off a bit. Here there even times when the best idea is to get off the bike and HAB over something rather than spent more time and energy trying to ride something.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.