Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Eleven - it's one louder

lap times at MMP?

Thinking of doing some age group racing (40-49, probably Cat 3 or maybe Cat 2) this fall. Despite the nasty heat I've been having a blast this summer re-learning how to ride my mt. (and road) bikes and getting back in some reasonable shape. Definitely getting faster but I'm almost always solo, so all I know is, as someone's avatar on this forum states, I'm "faster than most, slower than many" or something like that. Or maybe I'm faster than many but slower than most.

For those of you who race, or just ride hard recreationally but note your times, what kind of lap times do you turn out at McDowell Mountain Park? I'm most familiar with the Outer Loop at the Competitive Track and the Pemberton Trail (both CW and CCW). If you race, what category/age and where do you usually finish? What are generally considered to be fast times for the Cat 2 open age racers on these loops? I'm embarrassed to post my times after getting passed like I was standing still this morning slogging thru the beginning of Pemberton CCW but will pipe in with some eventually.

Thanks,
    BBC
    Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous

Meatbomb
    I'm slow ... very slow.. Next

mtbr member
    I have yet to record an entire lap time on the outer loop. I am so slow my computer thinks that I have stopped and shuts off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    On Pemberton I do 55 min to 1 hour, which I would consider fast but I don't know what category I will race in this year.

mtbr member
    I don't race and I am definitely not fast but last weekend I decided to record my time on the outer loop at the comp loops and I did it in 1 hour 10 minutes. I felt like that was fast but not sure how that compares to the "fast" guys.

Eleven - it's one louder

Wow!

"...slower than most" seems to be my category based on those #s! Cat 3 here I come...

Ethan, is that CW or CCW? I think I'm a little faster CW but possibly because I've only done CCW three times.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Most of the time I hit Pemberton on a long ride (coming from the other side of the mountain) so its hard to say which way is faster for me because I don't have comparable efforts each way. I usually don't go too hard on Pemberton. My fastest time was CW though, but that was the only time I gave a good effort on the loop.

mtbr member
    Conrad, check out http://theorangedog.net/mmptt/

and search for what's your best S-T-L times @ MMP on this forum.

mtbr member
    I too plan to race in the 40-49 Cat 3 class and I am in the far end of the group (49 yo). What I am thinking is to race a couple of the Muscle Milk Dust Devil Mountain Bike Series which will be 3 laps on the sport loop at MMP for a total of 9 miles. Tomorrow I will head out there to do a couple laps and then hit the PT (Love it). If anyone would like to join me I will be there about 7:30. Later than I would like but it is over an hour drive for me however very worth it. I will be the good looking guy in a white F250 riding an ugly green Kona Dawg.hope to see you there. If you can't make that I will be at San Tan Mtn Friday at 6:30 for some fun. Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I was told 17 minutes for the sport loop and 45 minutes for the Long Loop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Oh yeah I forgot to add I rode the sport loop 2 weeks ago at race pace in 14 minutes. This was my first time riding it.

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore Ken
    I was told 17 minutes for the sport loop and 45 minutes for the Long Loop.
    Right there with ya, do not recall my best STL combo though. Think my best Long Loop is just over 43 minutes and sport mid 16's. CCW pemberton in about 1:08-1:12.

mtbr member
    MBAA series at MMP, 45 min lap times on the outer loop will put you in the faster half of cat 2, and top of cat 3. I'm not really sure on the sport loop, but 15-18 mins seems about right for a fast loop.

There usually aren't as many racers in the Dust Devil Series, so the competition isn't quite as high.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You 40+ men better get your game face on cuz this old man is gonna tear it up! See ya out there training.

livin' the dream......
    Nice! DId you like the loop? Doing the STL combo is a nice lap.

No new blood
    I haven't done the outer STL comp loop since the MBAA race in January, but I think I came by in about 53 and then the sport loop after was 13 or 14. That will put you in the upper third of your cat 3 group. A few weeks ago I did a CW loop (my first CW) in 1:12 and turned around and did a CCW in 1:12. I'm not sure how fast a single loop in either direction would be at race pace.

Eleven - it's one louder
    OK, a few questions. When you guys say STL, do you mean doing each individual loop consecutively or doing the 'Outer' loop, which is right turns to form one big CCW lap?

@Ethan and AZBob: damn, that's pretty fast compared to me. I'm about 1:20 CW and a little slower CCW. Ethan, what Cat have you raced?

@SlowbutSure: I'm looking at that Series 1 race at MMP, too. How do you know that it's 3 laps on the Sport track? All I could find was this from the official site: There are three combinations of loops for this event: The descriptions are given so that you will take a connector trail from one trail to the next, not doing each individually. If you are confused, look at the maps and it should be clear. Not clear, still confused! Also, would definitely like to hit the trail with you some time. I did the Outer Loop this morn, hit it once a week either Wed or Fri morn and Pemberton on the other day.

I take about 1:15 to do an Outer Loop at what's a brisk pace for me but not really racing. I'll try some laps at a race pace but if I don't improve much I guess it's Cat 3. Hoping to upgrade my 21-year-old original wheelset that weighs about 50 lbs - rear wheel barely cranks out 10 revolutions when I give it a spin on the workstand. If I can get it done before the race, that should help shave a couple minutes!

-BBC
    Last edited by BigBadConrad; 09-04-2010 at 08:00 AM.

mtbr member
    BBC, I sent an email and 3 laps on the sport loop is what I was told. This is not set in stone but that is what I was told. I'll be at the pump track tomorrow morning (Sat) to play on the jumps as I had fun on Thursday after hitting the sport look a couple times. Judging from the times posted I better get my act together cause i was closer to 20 mins than 15. See ya

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadConrad
    OK, a few questions. When you guys say STL, do you mean doing each individual loop consecutively or doing the 'Long' loop, which is right turns to form one big CCW lap?

I take about 1:15 to do a Long Loop at what's a brisk pace for me but not really racing. I'll try some laps at a race pace but if I don't improve much I guess it's Cat 3. Hoping to upgrade my 21-year-old original wheelset that weighs about 50 lbs - rear wheel barely cranks out 10 revolutions when I give it a spin on the workstand. If I can get it done before the race, that should help shave a couple minutes!

-BBC
    STL = Start on Sport, take a right on the Tech and then take a right on to the Long. One big CCW lap.

From what you are saying, CAT 3 would be a good place to start and then go from there. Upgrading a 50 lbs wheelset would be a great start!

Good luck!
    Marty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirthead
    MBAA series at MMP, 45 min lap times on the outer loop will put you in the faster half of cat 2, and top of cat 3. I'm not really sure on the sport loop, but 15-18 mins seems about right for a fast loop.

There usually aren't as many racers in the Dust Devil Series, so the competition isn't quite as high.
    Hey Dirthead are you gonna race again this year...maybe do your trail time so you don't get hosed at the end?

If so, are you going CAT 3 OR 2?

mtbr member
    Last year I raced in Cat 3 40-49 and as I remember we ran the the outer loop plus the sport loop. I ran it in 1:05:54 and finished in 8th.

You can still pull all the race results off the MBAA site from every race last year.

livin' the dream......
    I think the McDowell Dust Devil Cat 3 laps were: Sport----Outer----Sport. I remember coming through 2x then in for the finish.

I think Azokie laps were for MBAA?

We did 3 "internal" laps at White Tanks last year for Dust Devil. I really hope they are not going to do 3 Sports@ McDowell. That may cement my decision to try Cat 2 for the Dust Devil Series!

Eleven - it's one louder

oops...

Just re-read my last post and I had been typing "Long" instead of "Outer" loop even though I know the difference. I've edited it now. So not quite as slow as it looked but still slow

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    I think the McDowell Dust Devil Cat 3 laps were: Sport----Outer----Sport. I remember coming through 2x then in for the finish.

I think Azokie laps were for MBAA?

We did 3 "internal" laps at White Tanks last year for Dust Devil. I really hope they are not going to do 3 Sports@ McDowell. That may cement my decision to try Cat 2 for the Dust Devil Series!
    It was actually sport/tech loops instead of sport. I am with you, if its 3 sport loops, I will be trying my luck in cat 2 unless I can gain 5-10 lbs pretty quick so I can do rock crusher......those guys aren't slow either! My plan B is to flatten my competitors tires at the start! Then I could make the win look effortless with a good 5-10 minute head start!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azokie
    Hey Dirthead are you gonna race again this year...maybe do your trail time so you don't get hosed at the end?

If so, are you going CAT 3 OR 2?
    Yep. Cat 2, 40-49. Ready to get my arse handed to me. Funny thing about the trail maintenance. The wife and I went to Tucson in March and she did trail maintenance on Mt Lemmon. I went riding instead. She still hasn't let me live that one down.

You racing? The tentative schedule on mbaa's site looks interesting.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast