mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Lance Armstrong's Bike Shop

France Armstrong's Bike Shop

Maybe I should send Lance the "Bored and Rich" thread?

skin tight lycra
    I think that is a great concept Lance has going. He could easily open a high end racing shop where CAT 3- racers would only go to.

I always wish Phoenix, especially Tempe area would be more biker friendly. Especially as a college student at ASU its a pain in the ass sometimes getting around.

Sounds excellent! There are lamentably few really good shops out there.

A plethora of pinatas
    I think that it is great that he is using his name to help promote all types of cycling in his area. It would be awesome if there was something like that here in the Valley.
    Marty

In the rear with the beer
    I should try to contact him about franchising....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

All That is Man
    Interesting concept to have bike commuting targeted for the white collar demographic. At first I was thinking it was some kind of community center or something but it's not, it's just a more commuting-specific shop. It's like they're trying to start a commuter's "hub". The idea of a locker room and shower facility is pretty awesome. I also like the coffee shop idea (assuming they sell various food items too, and not at Starbucks prices).

I second the franchising notion . . .
    John

bi-winning
    Based on the article, it sounds like a good thing to me.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Maybe a trip to Austin when it is finished.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

Black and Sticky

Not to sound cynical, but...

I'm not sure downtown Austin is ready for a concept like this. Before moving to Phoenix, I lived in Austin most of my adult life. If they are trying to develop a really first class bike shop, then great, they'll do fine. Downtown Austin has (believe it or not) one of the finest fly fishing shops in the US, Austin Angler. It also has RunTex, a world class runner's store. But Austin is not a bicycle friendly city, and downtown Austin is particularly challenging. Most of the streets are one way and driver sight distance is poor. A bicyclist would easily blend in to all the activity and go missing to a motorist. There are simply too many things to distract a driver and too many things for a driver to be watching for to make it a safe place for bicyclists. To make the concept work they'd have to close down every other street and figure a way to separate bicyclists from cars at grade crossings and figure out where/how buses fit into the mix. I really like the concept and I will be the first to visit Lance's shop the next time I'm there (actually stayed at the Omni in downtown Austin just this week). I'm just really skeptical that it is a doable concept in downtown Austin. I hope I'm wrong.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    I guess we'll wait and see, looks like a nice concept.

Members who have read this thread: 0