mtbr member

Lake Powell, Biking and Kayaking..

The wife and I are looking to visit lake Powell this yr. and We're trying to stay off the beaten path.
    We're also looking for out of the way picturesque. places to paddle our Kayaks in the back canyons. We can launch off the side of the road, or small cartop put ins, if there are any.
    Kayaks are slow, so more than a mile to the best spots wont work.

Any lite Lake view trails around. in and outs are fine, and even paved paths.
    We have a small dog and he goes with us everywhere, He has his own trailer ( reason for smooth trails) and rides on the kayaks.

What's the best time of year to go , that most people dont think about?
    Any nice Towns that have decent lodging? ( not sketchy, nor Hiltons)
    Is there any local guides for kayak trips?
    Any LBS day guides ?

any "local" experiance would be helpful.

If this needs to go to the Utah Forum, let me know and I'll move it there.
    Thanks.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

bland

Meatbomb
    Are you looking to go to the north end or the south end?

Sept is my favorite month on the lake . Crowds are gone, temps are coming down but the water is still warm enough to swim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Are you looking to go to the north end or the south end?
    Which ever is best...

Never been, Tourest traps are not our thing.. so an old forest/desert road that leads to water would be Ideal.
    A possable bivy site to stare at the night sky would be cool too.

Thanks for helping !
    -Dad

Meatbomb
    Being a boater I am not familiar with vehicle access to the lake other than the launch ramps.

I did a little asking around and was told this group is very helpful so you may want to drop them a line when they open March 1 : Kayak Powell - Lake Powell Kayak Tours and Rentals.

Your probably going to find that vehicle access to the lake is limited due to the fact that most of the lake is in a canyon.

As for lodging in towns. Page on the south end has a ton of hotels. Bullfrog on the north end only has a couple and I'm not familiar with them since we always stay on the boat.

mtbr member
    Okay, that was pretty damn cool.

Kathleen in AZ
    Lake Powell, Biking and Kayaking..-_mg_2504-xl.jpg

Last May I headed to Alstrom Point to catch the solar eclipse. Alstrom Point is on the north side of the lake on a very very remote dirt road. There is not any water access from this point, but the views were out of this world! There might be some water access farther east along these rough roads - you'll have to do some research. I hope to do more exploring up there in the future due to it's remote beauty and dark skies for night photography.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I would think you would be limited for day trips on the Kayak.

I have camped at Lone Rock and it is a zoo, but you are right on the water. I had a lot fo fun with my kids, but it was mostly trailers and RVs. That is also a busy area for boats. I still had a balst both times I went there.

Ideally you would work a deal with one of the site seeing boat tours. See if they would drop you off somehwere cool, and then catch the next days boat back in. Not sure they would do that, but it could be fun. That way you can get out to the middle of no where out there. That is what you want. Oh, stay out of the Narrows with the kayaks.

Not sure about MTB around there. I do know that the general area around Paige is sand with some slick rock. The sand is super soft from what I remember. Also, a lot of the cool slot canyons are on Indian land, and you should not tresspass. I did a cool slot canyon hike about 45 to 60 minutes Norht of Paige, Buckhorn I think. I saw no bikes and there was some bouldering. There is the Grand Staircase/Escalanete. It is a 50 or so mile dirt road that goes thorugh some beuatiful country. Maybe bike some sof that?

You might want to go post on the Lake Powell fishing site. That is what I did when I was looking for lake info there. There are tons of folks on there that know the area very well. State that what you want to do and also throw in that you want to fish, so they think of you as one of their own. Categories - Wayne's Words Bulletin Boards

Either way, the area is awesome to visit. My blood preasure always drops when I go there.

One cool option idea could be to catch a ride in Flag on the way there, and then a ride in Sedona on the way back? Break up the trip and make it a mountain bike safari!

mtbr member
    Awesome info everybody... Really appreciate it !

I'm thinking we'll be there later in the year, Fall time, after the major heat.
    I'll be hitting up the local kayak/boat rental places and the local forums.
    Somebody knows somebody who knows somebody !

Thanks again for youse guys help.
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Put in points are very limited as mentioned because the lake is in a canyon. We put in at antelope point and paddled 14 miles (in 4.5 hours) to labyrinth canyon, it was seriously epic, early november, NOBODY there, unseasonably warm weather, zero wind, low 70s for highs and mid 30s for lows, water temp of 62*, a bit chilly but I swam everyday quite a bit at mid day when the sun was high.

We were also in a canoe because its the belief of my people that you should never get on the water without a cooler full of beer.

You can see our tents on the peninsula,

Slot canyon, we hiked about 3 miles worth of this,

Oh yea, I always skateboard on my birth day, and we were there on my b-day...

That trip was seriously one of the most epic trips I have ever been on and typically for me to consider anything epic there has to be a bunch of danger and things moving fast and this trip had neither. It was our first real "canoe trip" and its going to be really hard to top it because every bit of it was just about perfect.

mtbr member
    Ferk yea !!!

YES SIR !
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Depending on your funds you can get a "water taxi" from antelope point marina to anywhere on the lake, but it is a little spendy, to get dropped at the front of labyrinth canyon (the closest really cool canyon) costs about $150, well, I was told that was round trip, and then I was told that was one way so I can't say for sure what the cost is, from the mouth of labyrinth to the end is about 3 miles of paddling.

Give it a crank
    Very cool shots but I'm outta rep!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Very cool shots but I'm outta rep!
    I covered it for ya.
    -Dad

Meatbomb
    North of antelope can get VERY rough if there is any kind of heavy boat traffic. We call the area "Maytag Canyon" and then you get into what is referred to as the "Narrows". The lake in those areas is narrow and has vertical walls so with heavy traffic the wakes are not dissipated but instead are reflected back into the channel. Throw in a tour boat and a couple McYachts and it can be uncomfortable even in a cruiser.

Keep an eye out for the big white tour boats. Their displacement hulls pushes out monster wakes. Even from a mile away the wake will rock you good. If they see you most likely they will slow down.

If you get a chance, take a tour boat ride up to Rainbow Bridge. If you only go as far up lake as labyrinth you will miss out on most of the beauty the lake has to offer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    North of antelope can get VERY rough if there is any kind of heavy boat traffic. We call the area "Maytag Canyon" and then you get into what is referred to as the "Narrows". The lake in those areas is narrow and has vertical walls so with heavy traffic the wakes are not dissipated but instead are reflected back into the channel. Throw in a tour boat...
    As we paddled back to antelope point at the end of our trip a tour boat did head out past us and it was amazing how long its wake persisted in the channel you are referring to.

The lake is huge and there is so much to see, you can either see a lot of stuff quickly, or some stuff more leisurely, hiking up the labyrinth slot canyon was well worth not gong further into the lake. When we go back we'll hit west or face canyon, under paddle power much of the lake is kind of inaccessible due to the distances involved or require a very large investment of time to get to.