parenting for gnarness

Knee\elbow guard suggestions

I would use these a few times a year for Goat Camp and Somo north face rides. Not a downhiller, just want some insurance on the occasional gnarly trail.

Really no idea what brand to get or where to start, sizes, what stores or online\ebay, etc. I guess I want a good balance between value, weight and comfort.

Thanks for any tips.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    I would use these a few times a year for Goat Camp and Somo north face rides. Not a downhiller, just want some insurance on the occasional gnarly trail.

Really no idea what brand to get or where to start, sizes, what stores or online\ebay, etc. I guess I want a good balance between value, weight and comfort.

Thanks for any tips.
    661 makes the veggie wrap and chicken wrap i believe. i have them and have yet to use them because the arms are too small. i thought i was a medium. they are light abd protective, and IMO are perfect for national. my problem isnt the impact, its the goddam slicing the rocks give me. if you do decide on these and have arms smaller than about 14 inches @bicep then i would go medium. any larger youll want large. legs i have a 22-24 inch thigh circumference and the medium works fine. if you get these and decide you have medium sized arms, order the large and ill trade you. mine havent left my room yet, they are just a bit too tight for me.

What's that smell?

What's that smell?
    The Fox knee/shin guards breathe the best.

AKA shitbird
    Those look like the "nicer" fox stuff. I have some cheaper fox leg armor and it's the worst crap ever. The RaceFace Roaches are really nice. Cactus bikes seems to have a pretty good selection of protective gear but some of it is probably overkill for what you're looking for.

And regarding pwrtrainers mention of the "veggie-wraps". don't let him fool you, when he's wearing them it's more like "V@gina-wraps"....
    ......pansy.
    JRA

Powered by ice cream.
    I wear Race Face/Roach Rally FR legs and Core Rat Elbows on all my rides (even long SS slogs).

No complaints. Avoid the Core Rat legs.

Going for a ride......
    True the Fox knee/shins do breathe best of all but I found the Race Face FR knee/shins to be much more comfortable particularly if you do alot of pedalling with them. Hotter than Fox pads but not really that noticeable when you're riding. The Fox ones were somewhat irritating/chafing, my particular set got warrantied for durability issues, although I wouldn't say this is a widespread problem.

Otherwise you could look into TLD T-Bones and 661 Kyle Strait pads if you wanted something a bit more low key. Although that style is more of a pain to take on & off as you have to remove your shoes.

Haven't tried any elbow pads myself.
    energetix

Low speed, High Drag
    I just got a set of the 661 Kyle Strait knee guards, and for the little bit I rode in 'em, I like 'em. They don't offer any shin protection, but cover your kneecap, and the sides of your knee pretty good.

I rode in 'em for about an hour and a half, and hardly noticed they were even on my legs. Pedaling in 'em was no problem, either.

I am in the market for some elbow guards, too, so if somebody comes across some that work pretty good, let us know.

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    Not too bulky because they don't go all the way down, and fairly light:

Or if you are looking for just a little knee protection:

'06 Specialized Demo 8 II * '10 Specialized Pitch Pro * '09 Haro Steel Reserve * '70's Guerciotti SS

mtbr member
    These pads are great. If youíre looking for something to wear on long days of up-and-down riding, these may not be your best bet. But if youíre riding hard at the bike park or your local DH trail, these puppies are where itís at.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Rockgardn makes a great product that isn't too constricting or warm
    Do what it takes to move through

Exhale Bikes
    2814 W Bell Rd
    Phoenix, AZ 85053-7530
    (602) 548-0567

mtbr member

Fox ventilator and standard?

Has anyone tried these? Not bad for $15 and $20.[IMG]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit350
    A friend of mine has and he has the scars to prove it. You only get straps that secure the shins and NOT to the knee. Hence upon impact the knee pad folds back and does you no good what-so-ever.

Basically you are getting what you pay for.
    Do what it takes to move through

Exhale Bikes
    2814 W Bell Rd
    Phoenix, AZ 85053-7530
    (602) 548-0567

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit350
    I believe that's what I have, the Fox standards. The price is good but they kinda suck. Like doode was saying the knee isn't secured and even though that hasn't "hurt" me, I have to constantly pull them up cause when pedaling they creep down the leg, uncovering the knee. The straps also stretched out after just a few rides and soon I won't be able to wear them at all. My opinion, stay away
    JRA

mtbr member
    Dianese are the best!! They don't slide around when you take a big digger. The Fox stuff is good for the first hit, but if you bounce your armor will slide all over the place. The Specialized stuff isn't bad either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danabeck
    The Fox stuff is good for the first hit, but if you bounce your armor will slide all over the place.
    True, that. But I've been happily wearing the Fox elbow guards for at least 7 years now (and
    BOY do they smell bad ).
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.