SRR
    mtbr member

Kingman Prospects

Hi all, here from Washington State, staying briefly in Bullhead City visiting relatives. Heard a rumor today at Bootleg Canyon of a local trail system in the vicinity of Kingman. If there's any truth to that, it would save me some gas. Looking for local single-track. Can anyone confirm this rumor or provide details/POC?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

there are a few trails in and around Kingman

I've done some work up there over the last few years and ride the Camp Beale and Monolith gardens loops everytime I'm up there. The monolith loop is built by the BLM as multi use and is currently a 8 mile loop with some shorter options, but pretty nice counterclockwise. The BLM is planning on another 20 or so miles off the west end of that loop. As an extension you can go under the 93 and add the Camp Beale loop (6 miles, I think, pretty tough uphill on the single speed, but fun down, I liked it best counter clockwise.) Off the north end of the Camp Beale loop (1/2 way/top of climb) you can take the Castle Rock out and back (4 miles). All uphill in that direction and the middle part I thought was pretty crappy on a hard tail but the top back down was great. Once to the top of that you can drop down Badger Springs back to the road (which is a hoot but watch out for the cat claws). You can then take the 6 miles of road back to the Monolith trail head or climb back up Badger and head back down Castle rock to Beale, under the 93 and back to the Monolith lot. To get to the Monolith gardens parking lot from take the 93 north from the 40 about a mile and turn left on the street after the Chevron station (across the street from the Kings Inn) follow that road to the left and then right past a few houses and the trail head is on the right. The BLM actually built a trail head. You will find maps of all the loops I described in the sign in box. The Camp Beale loop can be accessed directly by taking the 93 north from the 40 and turning right onto...awww...I forget the name of the road, there are only a few roads on the right and I think there are signs for the Camp Beale loop. Anyway you'll follow the road back passing the Kings Inn again but it will be on your left, the road takes a hard right and starts climbing up intp the foothills. You'll pass the water tower and the driveway to the trail head will be the only thing on your left. If you get to houses on the left you've gone too far. The Monolith loop is a great no lights full moon ride if your trip happens to fall on a full moon.

There are few others trails out there that the guys at Bicycle World on Northern (North on Stockton Hill road and then right on Northern, it will be on the left about a mile down) can tell you about. Talk to Jim, he's the owner. They have alot of potential but the area is still very under developed for riding. There is also a shuttle DH off the top of Hualapai Mtn. Again the bike shop can give you better directions on that one. I did it with them on their weekend group ride (sunday). Caleb Darnel is another rider up there that is really trying to get some things going, he also races the DH at Bootleg.

I tried to do a thirty+ miler with those loops but made the mistake of starting at the Badger Springs TH then climbing up, riding down Castle, down Camp Beale, around Monolith, back up the other side of Camp Beale, up Castle Rock and down Badger. I bailed while trying to climb back up castle and ended up riding the highway back to the Badger TH, more water and FOOD! I suggest starting at the Monolith TH then doing all the up and finishing up with the down, down , down and around Monolith for a nice finish. Again, Monolith counterclockwise is they way to go for sure.

Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

GPS data available if you can use it.

I did get a chance last time to GPS the Monolith loop and I can send you something if you could use it. Let me know.

SRR
    mtbr member

Thanks

Just what I needed! Thanks. I'll follow this up for sure this weekend, maybe even today. Hot dog, Kingman is just over the hill! I love Bootleg but it's a long drive and half a tank there and back. Muchas gracias amigo. Feedback to follow.

BTW, remember I'm here from the Pac NW, I can identify volcanoes and Doug Fir alright but just what the hell are 'cats claws'? I automatically think Cougar but I don't think that's what your describing. Ha, ha.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    cat claws are a small plant like a shrub that have thorns on them. They are like rose bush torns and branches. Bottom line is protect your shins if you have some veggie skins or something. That only goes for the Badger Springs trail. All the others are more well traveled. Good luck and have fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    BTW-I remember those guys at the bike shop also talking about a 12-15 mile down hill on the west side of the black hills which are the mountains you pass through on the way from Kingman to Bullhead City. I don't know anything more about it though.

SRR
    mtbr member

RideReport

Found the Chevron trailhead no problem late Friday, had just enough time to do Monolith CCW as suggested -- loved it, especially in that late afternoon sun.

Studied the map and your instructions harder after that and returned today to apply your idea: started from Monolith again but exited the loop early, heading directly underneath 93 to Beale and O&B to Badger TH (plus the small segment leading to Castle Rock). Inhaled a P&J at the bottom before returning up Badger, continued the Beale Loop (CCW, as suggested), then finished things up with the rest of Monolith loop (again CCW). Great ride! I jettisoned my computer a few days ago so no accurate mileage, but judging from the signs/map must've been around 27-28 miles. Had food and water to spare BUT my spare tube blew right where you turn right to finally exit the loop, so I had to hoof that final leg to the trailhead carrying the bike (faulty tubes, both valve cores blew at the base and there was nothing I could do -- first one had blown at the top of Badger on return). That was a bummer 'cause I'd acquired a second wind along that final stretch and was pumped, looking forward to coming to a final skidding halt at the truck with a long trail of dust behind me and a big smile. Still it was a great ride -- best this trip.

Thanks again amigo! [And thanks also to Sean (of Boulder City) who floated the rumor in the first place.] Feel free to message me so that I can return the favor, if you or yours find yourself in my neck of the woods. I'm mucho savvy on the best stuff in Washington State.

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nice job man! Bummer about the tubes on the final leg though. I'm glad I could help, I've been telling people about those trails for about two years and you're the first to check them out. My wife is due in July so it will be a while before we make it up to the Pac NW, but someday. Adios!

mtbr member

The Ride

Hey, folks. I have been talking to a few folks on the Nevada forum regarding bootleg. I am heading up to Vegas next week and was curious about some good XC trails. Any suggestions on bootleg? Is the park and trails well marked? I am looking for a good 15-20 mile loop or whatever.

Now that I've read this post regarding Kingman, I might give that a try as well on my way back. Please give suggestions.

Bondo

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sorry man I've only done the DH at Bootleg but it seemed you could easily find the XC trails.
    Good luck

SRR
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bondo
    Hey, folks. I have been talking to a few folks on the Nevada forum regarding bootleg. I am heading up to Vegas next week and was curious about some good XC trails. Any suggestions on bootleg? Is the park and trails well marked? I am looking for a good 15-20 mile loop or whatever.

Now that I've read this post regarding Kingman, I might give that a try as well on my way back. Please give suggestions.

Bondo
    Bootleg Canyon is within a stone's throw of Las Vegas, accessible from within Boulder City, maybe half a mile from the LBS. Stop there for a map, although one really isn't necessary. And there are signs to the trail head on the main strip in town and the trails are within half a mile. If you look north from the main drag, that hill with the tower/antennas on top represents the center of mass for the trail system. Just head for that. It's easy to read the terrain and stay oriented (you're so close to town), and the trails are marked. There's also a well-developed trailhead w/parking, latrine, shower, water, and posted maps (even some well-crafted small stunts behind the latrine enroute to the Lake View trails. If you want a long loop, there's Ernie's Epic (20 plus miles -- ask at the LBS about that; it traces the outer perimeter of the Bootleg, between 'Mother' and 'Caldera' but that portion is off the map). I usually do that first, then spiral my way into the central trails. Most everything that is not strictly DH is tight, fast, and flowy, and I always have a hoot. Best thing is to just follow your nose, for everything's consolidated in a small area, gathered together by the low hills surrounding the highest ground. I'd say for a casual excursion, say, 10-15 miles (1-2 hours), BC is good for at least 3 trips before things start to seem familiar. And I'm confident that if you do visit, you'll be super glad you did, and will likely find yourself at that trailhead more than once during your visit.

If you pass through Kingman, the Cook Canyon trails, also accessible from town (all the info you need is already here), then they are similarly worth the visit. I made 4 trips in 4 days and had a blast each time. That epic ride I described is eminently worthy, but so is everything in smaller doses: like Badger Ridge O&B from the Badger TH, Monolith or the Cook Canyon loop by itself, Beale Loop, and the Castle Rock trail O&B. I hooked them all together easily for an epic 5-plus hour ride IAW with elpolloloco's advice. No regrets! It was the highlight of my trip. The great thing about the Kingman trails is their quality vs. the LOW user density, even on a sunny weekend. You won't get that dgree of solitude at Bootleg unfortunately.

If it's convenient, there's also the Cottonwood trails on the other side of LV, near Red Rock Canyon, vicinity of the small town of Blue Diamond. Good for 2 trips IMO, for that's what it took for me to rack of some 50 miles or so of what's out there. This is a good time to visit those trails, what with spring coming on, everything green and ready to flower soon. I encounterd wild burros and even a small herd of wild horses during my explorations. There should be plenty online or at the forum regarding Cottonwood already.

Have a great trip! I wish I were still there !!!

Members who have read this thread: 0