Andrew

Just rode my first trail

Hey guys, just did my first trail on my new 29er and it was an absolute blast. Hit the White Tanks far north trail Saturday morning and did the advanced loop minus the switchbacks. I;m used to BMX and this is definitely more intense than I was imagining. Walked more than I wanted to but definitely showed me what was up for mountain biking out here. Planning to go back out next Saturday and hit it again and see how I do. Definitely glad I just upgraded to the RockShox Recon Gold forks, as the piece-o-crap Suntour M2025's that came on the bike would have snapped. Met a few riders (not sure if any post on here) but everyone was awesome and had positive things to say. Definitely an awesome scene out here. Looking forward to meeting more riders and networking.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    if you like mtbing at White Tanks, in this peak heat season, you'll love the best 8 months Oct-May. Been here since 2002 and haven't rolled everthing yet. Several new trails have opened recently, plus the multitude of goodness out there, will keep you stoked for a very long time.
    Try riding different areas with the knowledgeable locals and you will learn your favorite trails and meet a lot of cool people to ride with. Also ask questions and learn from experienced riders about things like gear, tires, and desert specifics that are somewhat different than other areas of the country.
    Obviously, exploring unfamiliar remote areas can turn deadly this time of year. Fortunately, nobody has been caught in a bad situation this summer (to my knowledge), but it does happen, especially unprepared solo riders/hikers. Example-- last summer, I was riding with a group in Sedona, 2 of us got dropped, and the other guy had little water & no energy food. Bottom line, he overheated, dehydrated, panicked, gave up, etc. and would have probably died had I not been there.
    I tend to ride a lot solo, sometimes remotely, but I prepare for the worst, just in case. Much better and more fun to ride with others for sure.

Have fun and hope to meet you on a ride soon!

mtbr member
    Just remember these three words: No pride outside. Don't let your pride get in the way and make you do something unsafe. If it looks wrong, feels wrong, is wrong, bail out. You can always try again later. Push it too hard and get killed, well, that's permanent.

And just remember, there's a long and storied history of bad sh*t happening to good people in the desert. There's not a single story I know of that started out with, "I had too much water."

Andrew
    Thanks for the advice guys. Pretty much no-brainers, but always good to see others with the same mindset. Just finally got a buddy to pick up a bike (Cannondale SL4 - WAY nicer than my K2) so we'll probably be trying to hit all the spots, especially when it gets cooler out. I'll be out at the White Tanks again this coming Saturday around 5:30a for a start time if anyone wants to join, just be ready to take a few breaks, as I'm still slow lol.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    White tanks comp loop is a great trail. I started out there myself and still ride it a bunch. When you get better you will want to spread your wings for sure. If you want to get good at climbing you will need to try other trails. Mesquite out there is good for that lol, but not till you are ready. Do that too early and you will probably start to hate MTB haha.
    I am off this week from work, so I will be riding all the trails I have missed out on the past 6 months or so. Did the comp loop at the tanks today for a break, but she is still a biotch. You can climb other trails with 2500-3000 feet of climbing and go back to the tanks and be in awe of how they still kick your arse a bit (despite how tame the numbers look). Good luck, have fun and ride ride ride!
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

Andrew
    Mesquite... that just sounds hard, lol. Probably do the Tanks this weekend then one of the South Mountain trails the week after.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Yeah Mesquite can be a bear to climb for sure, but you are generously rewarded coming down! What I love about the White Tanks is that every time you ride there, you leave with a new goal. For instance, I cannot wait to be able to ride Goat Camp without touching, or climb Mesquite without stopping. I don't think either will ever happen though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    Yeah Mesquite can be a bear to climb for sure, but you are generously rewarded coming down! What I love about the White Tanks is that every time you ride there, you leave with a new goal. For instance, I cannot wait to be able to ride Goat Camp without touching, or climb Mesquite without stopping. I don't think either will ever happen though.
    If it was not for the about 1/2 mile of HAB up mesquite it would be clearable lol. But someone stated once that mesquite is 99% rideable, I respectfully disagree (at least with my skill level) lol. It's a love/hate relationship with that trail

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I would imagine that the steep 1/2 mile toward the beginning of Mequite is a monster for an average (or below average rider like me ). I've only hiked up it but last time I did I saw a guy on a Pivot Firebird start on up. Not sure if he cleaned the whole thing but it sure looked to me like he rode most of it including that steep 1/2 mile. Impressive.

...me, I think I'd be hiking at least that part of it or looking for a tow rope!!! Suppose I should give it a shot sometime soon.

mtbr member
    Oh its not the first 1/2 mile of steep that is HAB lol, that can be cleaned easily enough. Its the rocky mess right after that does it (about a half mile or so of it). There is also another short section further up that is extremely rocky and damn near impossible to ride through that I have found. I'm sure there is some machine out there that has cleaned the entire thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yup, that first section you are referring to is what I meant to reference. Not sure I remember the second one though. It's been quite some time since I hiked up there.

Andrew
    So, still planning on hitting the technical loop at the tanks tomorrow. But, due to the weather, anything I should watch out for? I'm fairly good at reading terrain on dry ground, but don't have much experience in mud/wet conditions.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Are you meaning the Mesquite trail or the Competitive loops?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Are you still shooting for a 5:30AM start time? I live just down the road and might ride in.

Andrew
    I believe we did the technical competitive loop last time, so I think that's what we're going to be doing again. It's the far north loop with the switchbacks (although I don't have the strength for the switchbacks yet). AFAIK it seems like 5:30a is the time we're going to meetup. Going to confirm with the guys in a bit. If anything changes I'll post up.

We will either be in a black 2010 dodge ram or a white john deere work truck.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Cool, well have a great ride. Should be zero issues even if it is raining, might even feel good. I would join but I have class tomorrow and saving some energy for a long ride with some fellas at FINS on Sunday

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Sounds like I'll be seeing ya'll up there at 5:30. I'll be riding in on the Maricopa Trail. See ya then!

Andrew
    Good to meet you today Mike! Fun ride today, despite the humidity.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeah, that was a great time! Looking forward to another ride! Thanks again!

Andrew
    So, as of now we're planning to hit the Tanks again this Saturday at 6am. Anyone who wants to come out is more than welcome. I'm eager to test out my new shifters/bars/stem/grips.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drizzoh View Post
    So, as of now we're planning to hit the Tanks again this Saturday at 6am. Anyone who wants to come out is more than welcome. I'm eager to test out my new shifters/bars/stem/grips.
    Nice! What did you go with? I'll check with the boss and make sure I'm clear.

Andrew
    Shimano ST-EF51 RapidFire 3x7 Shifters/Brake Levers | Answer Protaper 685mm Bars | Answer Rove XC 70mm Stem | ODI Rogue Lock-On Grips

The shifters are the Acera series, so not super high end, but there aren't a ton of new options for a 3x7 gear ratio and anything would be an improvement over whatever GripShift setup I had. The tech sections should be a bit better now since I don't have to worry about accidental shifts from pulling-up.

So far I'm loving the new setup, very rigid (where the bars mount to the stem is at least 1/2" wider than the K2 setup). I just need to ride around a bit before Saturday so I can used to the new setup and make sure everything is adjusted to my liking. Also lost some more weight up front as well so that's always a plus.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

Andrew
    Had another fun ride out at the tanks this weekend. Thr new setup handled amazing once I got my fork rebound dialed in. Bashed in a tooth on my outside chain ring, tweaked my front rim and bent a rotor. Definitely a fun day lol. Was wanting to jump up a brake rotor size anyway though, so BB7's with G2 185's ordered. Might be a little overkill compared to my promax's, but if the brakes would have been better I wouldn't have done half the damage I did today in the first place. Definitely excited for the upgrade, I can't remember a time when too much stopping power was a bad thing (when it's expected).
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drizzoh View Post
    Had another fun ride out at the tanks this weekend. Thr new setup handled amazing once I got my fork rebound dialed in. Bashed in a tooth on my outside chain ring, tweaked my front rim and bent a rotor. Definitely a fun day lol. Was wanting to jump up a brake rotor size anyway though, so BB7's with G2 185's ordered. Might be a little overkill compared to my promax's, but if the brakes would have been better I wouldn't have done half the damage I did today in the first place. Definitely excited for the upgrade, I can't remember a time when too much stopping power was a bad thing (when it's expected).
    Had a great time again! I just got back from another 5 miles of desert flats. I'm determined to try to keep up with "Eric the Mountain Goat."

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by recovery View Post
    Had a great time again! I just got back from another 5 miles of desert flats. I'm determined to try to keep up with "Eric the Mountain Goat."
    Lolol. That's a perfect name for him. That kid flies. Has been riding like 2 decades and he's tiny though, so he has a bit of an advantage. We'll get him tho.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100