Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    banned
    Jun 2011

Just out of curiosity

Just by a answer of yeah or nay, when on the trail riding and you see someone along the trail side with what appears to be a repair moment. Do you check to see if they need anything or help, or do you just ride on past and not give it a second thought?

Thanks.

~azm

Oh, and I always stop and ask. YEAH!

mtbr member
    I always stop and ask, Normally You can tell if they need help, But the best rule to live by is, "never leave anyone behind" and Hopefully it will always come back in return.

~Disc~Golf~
    nah, they're probably noobs and they need to learn the hard way
    -especially if they are out of water.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

dirt visionary
    always ask if they are okay and got what they need
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Ridin bikes is fun
    I always ask if they have what they need.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

Huffy Rider
    ALWAYS stop and ask, lend a hand (or pump) and make sure all is well. Even if there is more then 1 rider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav View Post
    Ditto.

Shovel Ready
    Never hurts to ask if they need something. Handed out a few master links over the past couple years.
    Last edited by Cycle64; 07-03-2011 at 11:46 PM.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Pivotal figure
    Always ask. Out here it really could become a serious issue...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Are they wearing Spandex? What kind of bike were that riding before the POS broke down? Do they look like they already have enough water retained in their outa shape butt? Too many variables to answer such a basic question...

mtbr member
    I Always ask.
    Just out of curiosity AzMtbkr1: how many people passed you on the trail today when you see fixing something that didn't ask?

Blood, Sweat, and Gears
    Always, especially if it's a solo rider.
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. -- Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Always ask...

mtbr member
    Usually say something like "got everything you need".

Can't think of any time that I have been doing repairs and someone passed me by without saying something similar. At least not while riding solo or even with a group.

One time I fixed a guys chain because he was walking the bike and didn't have a chain tool, and once someone needed a #8 hex wrench for a bottom bracket bolt. That's all I can remember helping out in about 20 years of riding.

Now giving directions at Star Pass that's a much longer list.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTtripper View Post
    this. only takes a second and it's good karma.

banned
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin View Post
    I Always ask.
    Just out of curiosity AzMtbkr1: how many people passed you on the trail today when you see fixing something that didn't ask?
    I have seen a few times out on Desert Classic when there is a "Team" doing a XC ride and they tool on by without a flinch.

They shall remain unnamed. But you know who you are.
    Like I said, I was just curious.

For the most part MT Bikers are some if not the nicest folks. I can't name one that I met that I had anything poor to say about.

Just with it getting hot out now... I tend to keep a extra eye out to watch for my fellow riders to make sure their alright.

banned
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTtripper View Post

Can't think of any time that I have been doing repairs and someone passed me by without saying something similar. At least not while riding solo or even with a group.

One time I fixed a guys chain because he was walking the bike and didn't have a chain tool, and once someone needed a #8 hex wrench for a bottom bracket bolt. That's all I can remember helping out in about 20 years of riding.

Now giving directions at Star Pass that's a much longer list.
    Good for you. I gave out two tubes in one ride. Then Im like what the heck am I going to do if I get a flat. But my tires are near flat proof. Tube liners, slime tubes, extra 20 oz. of slime in each., kevlar...

J/k

mtbr member
    Always ask. I've even cut rides short to get my truck and lend a ride to people whose bikes are just f*#&ed out there. Makes me feel better than them getting stuck after dark and calling out the helicopters to get 'em.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Looks like the narcisists are all hiding. : )

mtbr member
    I always ask too. I'm not sure why I ask, though, because I somehow always manage to forget absolutely everything at home. All I'd end up providing is some mediocre conversation.
    Being stranded sucks. I got stranded with a flat on my road bike many miles from home without a tube or phone. I counted a lot of trucks driving by that day. Also got stranded in Prescott on Spruce Mountain. Took a wrong turn at the top, ended up on a dirt road with no houses (found out later to be Senator Highway) with no tools to fix my flat. Sun came down and so did the rain.
    I should start bringing supplies...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Do you check to see if they need anything or help, or do you just ride on past and not give it a second thought?

Thanks.

~azm

Oh, and I always stop and ask. YEAH![/QUOTE]

My thoughts...one should ALWAYS stop and ask. YEAH.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I always stop and ask as well.

I have walked my bike several miles on single track before, and if I can prevent someone else having to do that, I am more than happy. lol

I think about 99% of mountain bikers out there stop and do the same. There are some tools in their own world who won't sacrifice their "training", but karma will take care of them.

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav View Post
    What he said, ALWAYS...
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

banned
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    I always stop and ask as well.

I have walked my bike several miles on single track before, and if I can prevent someone else having to do that, I am more than happy. lol

I think about 99% of mountain bikers out there stop and do the same. There are some tools in their own world who won't sacrifice their "training", but karma will take care of them.
    Done the walk once, but it was late and I think I was the only one left out on the trail. But for the most part folks have helped out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzMntBkr1 View Post
    Just by a answer of yeah or nay, when on the trail riding and you see someone along the trail side with what appears to be a repair moment. Do you check to see if they need anything or help, or do you just ride on past and not give it a second thought?

Thanks.

~azm

Oh, and I always stop and ask. YEAH!
    Yea. (By the way, this is not a yea or nay question.)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    1 rider: yes
    2 or more: no

I've helped a 4 pack before and stopped because they all had "that look" on their faces. Nobody brought a pump/co2 because they figured that someone else would have it.

I've given out tens of tubes on trails over my life while riding. I've also accepted 3.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Never given out tubes - but - I have never used my patch kit on myself (all four times I've run across someone on a 29er without a tube)

The last one I ran across were a couple of kids out on desert classic - had a patch kit, but, weren't too sure on proper use and they didn't have a pump - and were about a mile from being able to exit to a road.

Also for good discussion - what does everyone else carry in their pack? In my "pack" I carry a patch kit, chain link, multi tool, tube (for my bike), zip ties, co2/combo pump, antibiotic cream packet, and bandaids.
    Yes, I'm the crazy christmas guy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Always ask...

mtbr member
    I've been on both sides of the trail as it were. I hammered a square rock with my back wheel once, and pinch flatted my tubless tire! Anyway, I needed a tube and discovered I had forgotten to replace the one in my pack. After hiking with the bike for a half hour,
    I had a guy come along and He stopped and offered to help. He say's yeah, I have two tubes. I'll sell you one for five bucks!! I COULD'NT believe it. He was totally serious. I had my wallet, but I don't carry cash. He ended up giving me the tube, but he said the next time he saw me he expected me to give him a tube. I have never seen him since, and I HOPE I don't. Not because of him wanting his tube, but because he's a "Jacktard" example of the nice folk we dirt cyclists are. I always ask, and i have given tubes and time to help when needed. I LIVE by the golden rule of what you give will come back to you, and it HAS. Now let's RIDE.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Yep, always ask.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    Always ask!

mtbr member
    I don't stop, I ask as I'm riding by. Sometimes I don't hear what they say, but at least I ask.
    I'm here for the OT

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Always ask.

banned
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    I've been on both sides of the trail as it were. I hammered a square rock with my back wheel once, and pinch flatted my tubless tire! Anyway, I needed a tube and discovered I had forgotten to replace the one in my pack. After hiking with the bike for a half hour,
    I had a guy come along and He stopped and offered to help. He say's yeah, I have two tubes. I'll sell you one for five bucks!! I COULD'NT believe it. He was totally serious. I had my wallet, but I don't carry cash. He ended up giving me the tube, but he said the next time he saw me he expected me to give him a tube. I have never seen him since, and I HOPE I don't. Not because of him wanting his tube, but because he's a "Jacktard" example of the nice folk we dirt cyclists are. I always ask, and i have given tubes and time to help when needed. I LIVE by the golden rule of what you give will come back to you, and it HAS. Now let's RIDE.
    You should have told him to cram it. What an A$$hat!
    Ill give you one if our trails cross...

banned
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    Yea. (By the way, this is not a yea or nay question.)
    You're always splitting hairs...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzMntBkr1 View Post
    You're always splitting hairs...
    How is that splitting hairs? You specifically asked for a yea or nay response, and then asked "do you stop and ask for help or do you ride on."
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

banned
    Jun 2011
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZspeeding View Post
    I've helped a 4 pack before and stopped because they all had "that look" on their faces. Nobody brought a pump/co2 because they figured that someone else would have it.

I've given out tens of tubes on trails over my life while riding. I've also accepted 3.
    This is why I keep buying bigger packs. I keep borrowing more sh*t every time I break something, go home and buy it, and stuff it into my pack. Then, I'll see somebody else need something and again, go home and buy one. I'm to the point now where I even have a presta valved tube. I don't ride tubes, let alone presta. I may have a 15 lb pack, and take 5 minutes to find anything, but I'll have what I or anybody I encounter need
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    This is why I keep buying bigger packs. I keep borrowing more sh*t every time I break something, go home and buy it, and stuff it into my pack. Then, I'll see somebody else need something and again, go home and buy one. I'm to the point now where I even have a presta valved tube. I don't ride tubes, let alone presta. I may have a 15 lb pack, and take 5 minutes to find anything, but I'll have what I or anybody I encounter need
    + rep for that,

Another thing to have in your rig ( not your pack) is some TP, and roll it up tightly w/ a $20 bill and shove it into your seat post. TP is good not only for emergency 'evacuation', but for cleaning wounds/hands,,,etc the $ is also go besides obvious reasons (cab ride, tire boot, etc) but for a sack of kind

Zzzzzzzzz
    Always ask. Stop and help if needed. Give a ride in my truck if need be.

skilldest©
    Yeah

mtbr member
    Depends what they are riding, how much I want to steal it and how broke it is.

Seriously- I rarely "stop" but do slow enough to ask if they are "okay" or "need anything" and then leave before they say yes.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    + rep for that,

Another thing to have in your rig ( not your pack) is some TP, and roll it up tightly w/ a $20 bill and shove it into your seat post. TP is good not only for emergency 'evacuation', but for cleaning wounds/hands,,,etc the $ is also go besides obvious reasons (cab ride, tire boot, etc) but for a sack of kind
    Hmm...never thought of having sh*t tickets stashed in my seat post. I always thought I'd use the gauze in my first aid kit if I ever had emergency evacuations out on the trail. Never had the opportunity to buy kind on the trail either. There's two more things I get to carry now.
    - Julie Furtado

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^ yeah, gauze would suck for that - like pressin' paste through a screen

Well, the $20 helped out once ( I tend to not take my wallet w/ me - I have my emergency info in my pack) for the kind... I was on my way back home from a ride and stopped to cool off at a creek - a couple others were there and were tokin' - stuff was nice - and they asked if I would like some to take home - at first I thought..aw crap, ain't got no $$ (you kinda forget about the seatpost stash) but then I went AHA!..'hold on!', pulled the post grabbed the $20...They thought it was pretty cool too (the also rode and were gonna incorporate it after that)
    I think they said, 'high-five for stoner-ideas'! - I agree - High-Five

mtbr member
    always ask if they are ok

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    we asked some guys tonight at pmp on 1A/Zipperish connector trail if they had everything .....NEITHER one of em had beer...wth?!?

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Well, the $20 helped out once ( I tend to not take my wallet w/ me - I have my emergency info in my pack) for the kind... I was on my way back home from a ride and stopped to cool off at a creek - a couple others were there and were tokin' - stuff was nice - and they asked if I would like some to take home - at first I thought..aw crap, ain't got no $$ (you kinda forget about the seatpost stash) but then I went AHA!..'hold on!', pulled the post grabbed the $20.
    And now I know where the "high" in highdell comes from

I don't know any rider that doesn't offer help when it looks needed. I always say "good morning/afternoon/evening" to people as I pass and always ask "got everything you need" or "doing alright" if they are stopped. I ask if they are OK even if it's pretty clear they are just resting and BSing. They could be waiting for their buddy to return with a tube or tool that I have in my pack.

Like woahey, I carry too much stuff in my pack. Well, I guess I don't but it sure feels heavy.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    And now I know where the "high" in highdell comes from

I don't know any rider that doesn't offer help when it looks needed. I always say "good morning/afternoon/evening" to people as I pass and always ask "got everything you need" or "doing alright" if they are stopped. I ask if they are OK even if it's pretty clear they are just resting and BSing. They could be waiting for their buddy to return with a tube or tool that I have in my pack.

Like woahey, I carry too much stuff in my pack. Well, I guess I don't but it sure feels heavy.
    Last week I was riding with Mike and I was hungry for a three cheese omelette. He opened his pack right on the trail and cooked one up! He has everything!!!!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    Last week I was riding with Mike and I was hungry for a three cheese omelette. He opened his pack right on the trail and cooked one up! He has everything!!!!
    Can't do that in the winter though so you'd better plan ahead...

aka Diesel
    Depends on if you believe in karma.

As with anything in life, pay it forward or piss it forward, it's up to you.

I myself, try to be a Good Witch, instead of a Bad Witch.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast