Thread: juicy five

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

juicy five

my juicy five rear brake gets stock and i allready bleed them any help

My other ride is your mom
    Let me translate for you: "My Avid Juicy 5's, specifically the rear caliper, gets stuck. I have already bled them to no avail. Do you have any help for me? Thank you in advance."

You could try the brake forum here, http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/ , and do a search on stuck calipers.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 06-07-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Meatbomb
    It's not the calipers, it's the levers.

mtbr member
    Had exact same issue. The seals inside are swollen. You need to either buy a piston rebuild kit about $20 shipped off ebay each lever. Or take it to your LBS for replacement under warranty. Cactus took care of me like rock stars.

If you do the work yourself you will need C clamp pliers. real small ones or some other sharp tools to get into the lever.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    It's not the calipers, it's the levers.
    forgive me....my drunken 3'rd grader l33t translation skills from Klingon to English sometimes backfire.....

Meatbomb
    was not pointed at you.. i had the same issue and it was the lever that needed a rebuild... they would not return.

I bet the problem started when it got hot.

Philbo....I'm not baggin' on you....I'm baggin' on the OP whose first post is almost intelligible. This drivel might be the parlance of our times...but I still believe in the concept of clear communication.....especially....when you're making first impressions....on a forum....where intent means nothing and perception means everything....to wit...I am not impressed....but who the hell am I anyways? So disregard......

Meatbomb
    "intelligible"

guilty.. i had to look that one up.

I just assumed he was foreign.

Kathleen in AZ
    I recently did a complete overhaul on several of my Juicy 7s - both levers and capiers. The 5s and codes are not much different but each requires their own specific kits and you need to know what year your levers were made.

Here are some directions for 2005s and 2007s:
    http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...TechManual.pdf
    http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...04-000RevA.pdf
    I'm guessing SRAM will have these directions in Spanish which might help

You'll most likely need a pushrod kit for your brake lever to fix it. I suggest you take the lever apart following the directions in the links above before ordering a kit. Most likely it will be SRAM part # 11.5311.567.000. Do a google search on that number and find a retail site where the items in the kits have pictures so that you can match it up to what you took out of your current lever. Order and then rebuild. Then bleed, and hopefully you'll be good.

Or bring it to your local bike shop and have them do the rebuild

Good luck!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I had the stuck lever issue on my juicy 5's. SRAM replaced lever internals under warranty with only change for 2 rides then kept getting stuck. They were rebuilt again under warranty that lasted approx 2 months. They have excellent customer service and when the bike warranty was for a while I called them trying to buy a new set of brakes at a possible discount since all my issues with the 5's and the sent me a full set(front and rear, levers, calipers, disc, hoses) of elixers free. I think they are basically the juicy 5 just newer but havent had any issues yet with the brakes.

Eroding into the trail

Wow! That is rockin' customer service!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Let me translate for you: "My Avid Juicy 5's, specifically the rear caliper, gets stuck. I have already bleed them to no avail. Do you have any help for me? Thank you in advance."

You could try the brake forum here, http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51 , and do a search on stuck calipers.

Good luck.
    Umm Maad, that should be BLED them, not BLEED.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

drink coffee, ride.
    Yep, same experience here, once it gets warm out they start to stick. Was in REI and they had a whole front kit for $35, granted it was the 3.5 but it's basically the same. I'll get to rebuilding them this fall once it's cool in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    Umm Maad, that should be BLED them, not BLEED.
    facepalm!

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by EPDP99 View Post
    I had the stuck lever issue on my juicy 5's. SRAM replaced lever internals under warranty with only change for 2 rides then kept getting stuck. They were rebuilt again under warranty that lasted approx 2 months. They have excellent customer service and when the bike warranty was for a while I called them trying to buy a new set of brakes at a possible discount since all my issues with the 5's and the sent me a full set(front and rear, levers, calipers, disc, hoses) of elixers free. I think they are basically the juicy 5 just newer but havent had any issues yet with the brakes.

You were lucky... Mine were out of warranty so after 2 rebuilds, I had to replace.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    thanks for your help
    regards
    regio1