mtbr member

Jeep Wrangler Bike Carrier/Rack Reccomendation

Hey Guys,

I am getting a Wrangler and looking for a little help in finding a quality bike rack. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ross

Need more cowbell
    I have a Yakima hitch rack. I had to put an extension on the hitch to clear the spare tire, however....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jeep Wrangler Bike Carrier/Rack Reccomendation-jeep.jpg  

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by ruzz View Post
    Hey Guys,

I am getting a Wrangler and looking for a little help in finding a quality bike rack. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ross
    I'd go hitch mount, but make sure you have the clearance for that spare tire. The rack I used temporarily on my Rubicon was a little tight and the pedal rubbed the rim a little. I know REI has racked and really good with helping you make the right call.............Drew

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I had a Thule T2 on my 03 Wrangler. It would not fold up and lock place because it would hit the spare tire. I just tightened the bolts a little tighter and it would stay upright without being locked in place. Not ideal but it worked.

"No Clue Crew"
    This one isn't too bad if your running stock spare, 164 bucks............Drew

HERE

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Saris Rack

I have this Saris rack that I used on a Jeep and I am looking to sell it. It's a hitch rack. It retails for $400. I will sell for $200. Only thing wrong is the one back tire clip doesn't rachet any longer. I attached a pic of the part I am referencing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Pics!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jeep Wrangler Bike Carrier/Rack Reccomendation-rack.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler Bike Carrier/Rack Reccomendation-rack2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I went with a Yakima Sparetime

mtbr member
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the responses and input.

Ross

mtbr member
    With a stock tire as my spare I opted for the Thule SpareMe rack. I found one of the older generation ones on Ebay for a third of the price of new.
    It works OK for one or two XC type bikes but I wouldn't want to put more than one heavy sled on it.
    Back when obstructing a license plate citations were a bit more common I figured out I could rotate the rack to provide a clear view on the plate. Looks a little goofy but it works.
    Cheers,
    M

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    lemme tell ya' bout bike racks on jeeps. got an '06 wrangler unlimited. it's the 2 door wrangler that's a little longer than a regular wrangler. (no offense, i have no idea what ya' know about jeeps. an '06 vs a modern 'unlimited' are not even the same bird darn neared. 2dr vs 4dr. don't know why jeep did what they did, but this is what we're working with.)

what i have i will say ain't the cheap way to go. i plan on having my jeep for a long time and taking some trips with multiple bikes so i figured i'm going to buy nice and buy once.

this was my first purchase.
    http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/spare-tire/sparetime
    i bought this because i wanted something to keep on the jeep all the time. i also use the back gate a lot and didn't want to deal with putting a hitch mount up and down. one thing that i wasn't aware of when i bought it was i'm sure this works excellent with road bikes and standard top tubes, you start working with full suspension, wide bars, fat tires, things change. when my wife and i ride locally i use my hard tail 29er, she has a scott full sus. to get anything that doesn't have a straight top tube you're prob going to have to invest in one of these:http://www.rei.com/product/670346/ya...p-tube-adapter

with odd geometry, wide bars, wheel sizes, etc, it's can be kind of a pain to get things to line up right. with some bungee cords and tie downs though...no prob.

i then bought one of these:http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/top/highroller
    there are three of us, me, wife and step-punk. (she likes the name, it's a fun thing, i love the kid so it's not derogatory) the plan is to get a cargo rack system so the third bike would go on top.

one thing to really think about is what you're going to do with your jeep. i've been a jeep junkie since high school (i'm a little out of high school, 20-ish yrs) i went with the top rack that i did cuz of the ability to keep the front tire on. if you have bike with lawer tabs or the big front axle (don't know what it's called, the one where you have a quick release but then also unscrew it) you have to decide if you want to mess with that every time you put your bike on the roof or not. same with how many bikes you may/may not be carrying and how far you are going with them. also, how tall are you and how tall is your jeep or are you going to make it?

i really gotta get but if you have questions i'd be happy to answer 'em for ya. this is just a quick run down of how deep you can get into this if ya' really want.

gotta run, jason

"No Clue Crew"
    Nice input Jason. It's alway nice to see more "Jeep Guys" into bikes. I currently have 4

From all the racks I've seen and used the one I'll be buying for my Rubicon will be the 1Up hitch mount. Light weight and easy to add more mounts for more bikes!

http://www.1upusa.com/1upusarackhome.htm

mtbr member
    I've had this same dilema for a while. I origionally bought a rhode gear spare tire shuttle that fits on just about any tire skinnier than 12". If you want it, I'll give it to you if you pick it up in Sedona.

I just bought a cheap-o sportwing. I couldn't complain about the price, $160 and it holds 4 bikes if I pull the spare, or three with the spare in place. I am very pleased with the rack so far, it's been on a few forest service roads at max capacity a couple times now and seems to be doing great. I like how it holds the bikes- by the wheel instead of the frame.

Like Grave said, glad to see another Jeeper getting into MTB, or MTBer getting into Jeeps. The combo of 4x4 and MTB can get you even further off the beaten path.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    Definitely go with a non-spare mount rack. Running extra weight, especially with the leverage of bikes being moved farther away from the spare itself will not help your spare tire mount lead a long and dutiful life. Get a hitch, or even better, an aftermarket bumper with an integrated hitch, add some frame tie ins and pick a rack that will clear your spare.

This advice is even more important if you have your Jeep set up properly... with some larger rubber underneath Also some good info in "The Jeep Thread" which you can find in the autos section of MTBR.

(proud owner of an 86 CJ7, 3rd Jeep I have owned)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I use the Thule T2 it works great and keeps the bikes from beating each other up. REI has a 20% off sale on Thule for the 4th.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have a carrier I got at Harbor Freight. It's a hitch mount, and a little snug, but does the trick. What can I say...I'm cheap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch View Post
    Definitely go with a non-spare mount rack. Running extra weight, especially with the leverage of bikes being moved farther away from the spare itself will not help your spare tire mount lead a long and dutiful life. Get a hitch, or even better, an aftermarket bumper with an integrated hitch, add some frame tie ins and pick a rack that will clear your spare.

This advice is even more important if you have your Jeep set up properly... with some larger rubber underneath Also some good info in "The Jeep Thread" which you can find in the autos section of MTBR.

(proud owner of an 86 CJ7, 3rd Jeep I have owned)
    This is very sound advice, especially if you have a JK (2007 and newer). The JK's have weak tailgates. Even with a 97-06 Jeep it strains the gate. They wont break the gate off but you'll get weird stress creases from the hinges towards the spare tire carrier.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Took a picture of my cheap @$$ rack...still few complaints.
    Photobucket
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member

Rack

Woahey, what brand rack is that? I like the way it holds the bike. Looks very stable.

Thanks

mtbr member

Rack

Sorry Guys...Woahey...I see your earlier post giving the rack info. Would you advise someone to buy the same rack? The price is awesome but also makes me wonder....

Thanks

mtbr member
    I'll keep this short and sweet; 1upUSA 2" hitch version. I got the rack after owning Thule and Yakima racks. Zero regrets!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CATrails View Post
    Sorry Guys...Woahey...I see your earlier post giving the rack info. Would you advise someone to buy the same rack? The price is awesome but also makes me wonder....

Thanks
    I really like that rack and would recommend it to somebody looking for a budget rack. It holds the bikes secure, there's no contact with the frame, and if installed properly it's very stable. Had I not bought a pickup, I'd still be using it today.
    - Julie Furtado