Thread: Jan 20 AES

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Jan 20 AES

Whats the talk on this one? Its one that has been done before. I see there is a super loop. So starting in the dark, would that be finishing in the dark? I met two ladies on the AZT by Pistol hill who are coming they said. Hope to see everyone again.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

Ahhh the pain....
    Lane, the 60 ish miler is a good solid loop that gets you on the AZT from Tiger Mine Rd (N of Oracle) to Freeman Rd...about 27 miles of AZT. Toss in a foot scramble to the top of Antelope Peak for bonus minutes...(must do!).
    The longer loop hasn't been run for several years; I did it the last year it was run(2012) and yep, start/finish in the dark...it's a beatdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Lane, the 60 ish miler is a good solid loop that gets you on the AZT from Tiger Mine Rd (N of Oracle) to Freeman Rd...about 27 miles of AZT. Toss in a foot scramble to the top of Antelope Peak for bonus minutes...(must do!).
    The longer loop hasn't been run for several years; I did it the last year it was run(2012) and yep, start/finish in the dark...it's a beatdown.
    Actually, the long loop was resurrected last year at the request of one or more very sick individuals. Not sure if anyone actually did it, but the details are on the site. At 111 miles and over 10,000 feet of climbing it is not for the uncommitted.

mtbr member
    it's for those that ought to be committed

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Im not doing the long loop on the 20th, but once there is more daylight, for sure. As a training ride, one time, haha. I am a minimalist on the bike hate carrying lights and all that extra stuff. Which out here can mean dying, not just a walk or call of shame to get a ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Does anybody want to do this same route before the 20th? Let me know and im in. Or that Punisher one i missed. I need to get some long rides in.

Edit..Thursday at 3:20. Sunday 730am i am riding the azt part of this route. Out and back.

Last edited by LaneDetroitCity; 12-28-2017 at 03:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    How much water can the box at Freeman road hold at once? I will be parking at Freeman and riding to Kelvin hwy before the event on the 20th, probably a few days before, i will bring enough water to fill that water box to max capacity. Weds or Thursday before the 20th i will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    How much water can the box at Freeman road hold at once? I will be parking at Freeman and riding to Kelvin hwy before the event on the 20th, probably a few days before, i will bring enough water to fill that water box to max capacity. Weds or Thursday before the 20th i will do it.

you can see a picture here:
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-G...0315%2B413.JPG

This is probably the most reliable water cache. It almost always has some water. But it certainly is good to check.

If you end up doing that mega loop you should check the cache at the Ripsey trailhead too. If there is water in both you can do that big loop carrying a reasonable amount of water.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    you can see a picture here:
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-G...0315%2B413.JPG

This is probably the most reliable water cache. It almost always has some water. But it certainly is good to check.

If you end up doing that mega loop you should check the cache at the Ripsey trailhead too. If there is water in both you can do that big loop carrying a reasonable amount of water.
    Im camping at willow springs right now. Going to ride to tiger mine rd, then to freeman road and back sunday. Then closer to the race, i am going to take water, and park at freeman, and ride north till the kelvin hwy rd and back. So there will definitely be water for our event.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I'm planning on doing the mega loop at 5 am. Anyone else in for that?

Never been on that part of the AZT either. I'm looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fitzhenry View Post
    I'm planning on doing the mega loop at 5 am. Anyone else in for that?

Never been on that part of the AZT either. I'm looking forward to it.
    How many yours you estimating?

I never ended up doing the ride when i was at Willow Springs. Neil the bikepacker from Oracle ended up rolling into my campsite in the dark bikepacking and we ended up talking for a while. I wasnt taking my bike out there with Thunder burt tires, and he said i should have the gpx file to find painter boy and all that.

Plan to this weekend. Possibly with a few AES guys.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Probably 12 hours. Found this old strava file: https://www.strava.com/activities/3694544

That guy's pretty fast, so we'll see. I'd like to go a little faster, guessing there's a lot of slow parts and some HAB on the AZT.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Probably 12 hours. Found this old strava file: https://www.strava.com/activities/3694544

That guy's pretty fast, so we'll see. I'd like to go a little faster, guessing there's a lot of slow parts and some HAB on the AZT.
    Any way to see his actual vs moving time? I dont have a ton of gear, i have the revelate feed bag for my bars, 100oz pack, and two 25oz bottles. Good lights but only about 3 4 hrs worth. Definitely enough to start in the dark but only would want to be relying on about 1hr worth in the evening. Thats a lot less climbing than i expected for 110 miles, does that sound right?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Any way to see his actual vs moving time?
    Aaron's total time was about 13:20. He's a very strong, fast rider. Completed the AZT300 in 48 hours a few years ago. Definitely plan on some HAB, nothing is too long and quite a bit of trail has seen some work done over the past months/year.

Also, if you guys are going to do the 110 mile version, Painter Boy trail is NOT part of that route. You stay on Willow Springs Rd. Painter Boy is only for the 65 mile loop. Zoom in on Aaron's Strava map and you'll see where Painter Boy trail is located and how it deadends on the northeast side. That's where it typically gets dicey to follow, but last year the 65 mile route had to be rerouted due to some private property access. Once you're on Painter Boy proper, it's not hard to follow. Feel free to add it in for extra credit!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters: Ups & Downs

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    The weather forecast is looking a bit chilly for Saturday!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I'm planning on camping out after the ride on Sat. night. Anyone else staying over?
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    I'm planning on camping out after the ride on Sat. night. Anyone else staying over?
    Yes, i am. Staying fri night also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    The weather forecast is looking a bit chilly for Saturday!
    Thats actually better, need less water!

mtbr member
    If I was going I would be camping, but I am not going so I will miss out. Next year (fingers crossed)
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Is the staging area near the arch over the road, down that side road?

Is Painter boy actually on the east side of willow springs rd.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Is the staging area near the arch over the road, down that side road?

Is Painter boy actually on the east side of willow springs rd.

Looks to be here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/32...4d-110.8988611

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks, i have looked at that. Just wanted to make sure that was by the arch because my service sucks once i get on willow springs rd. There are a bunch of pulloffs along there. Im thinking ill be there tonight. Might as well.

I have a white van and a black lab if you see me.

mtbr member
    Staging is just beyond the Arch as the main road turns right. Staging to the left. Painter boy is on the west side of main dirt road, but without GPS you will never find the start of it.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Any potential for mud issues on this section of trail with the predicted afternoon rains on Saturday?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Any potential for mud issues on this section of trail with the predicted afternoon rains on Saturday?
    IIRC, the AZT 'should' be fine. I recall Willow Springs Rd being difficult for drivers when wet down near the arch. With that said, I'm OUT. I've had more than my share of crappy riding conditions recently and have no desire for that nonsense. Best of luck to those who stick it out in the cold, wind & rain.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I'm now out for tomorrow's APC. Wife and dog were going to hike/hang out around Oracle while I rode, but weather won't be good for that. I'm going to do the APC next weekend, or instead, considering a Sat-Sun bikepack from Oracle to Picketpost, leaving early before most of the oracle rumble runners get started. Let me know if anyone is interested in joining.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    It says the bad weather doesnt start till 2pm. I really hope i didnt waste my time putting water at freeman and driving all over out here. If anything the trails and road need the rain its so dry and loose.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Its so dry rain should help not hurt, i rode some from tiger mine, and from freeman yesterday, its definitely dry and dusty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    This is hardly a bad forecast. Most of the "storm" should happen about 5pm, after everyone is done...

mtbr member
    IIRC, the AZT 'should' be fine. I recall Willow Springs Rd being difficult for drivers when wet down near the arch. With that said, I'm OUT. I've had more than my share of crappy riding conditions recently and have no desire for that nonsense. Best of luck to those who stick it out in the cold, wind & rain.
    Well with John out weather should be perfect. John is a rain magnet!
    Joe

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I'm not fast. Each time I've done this ride I either finish just after sunset or a bit before. 44* & rain isn't my cup of tea, no matter how 'great' the trail is riding. Consider any dropped water good AZT trail karma, those caches always need the support, so THANK YOU!! Hope you had a good ride out there today.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I'm not fast. Each time I've done this ride I either finish just after sunset or a bit before. 44* & rain isn't my cup of tea, no matter how 'great' the trail is riding. Consider any dropped water good AZT trail karma, those caches always need the support, so THANK YOU!! Hope you had a good ride out there today.
    I have a tendency to only see the world through my viewpoint. Im working on it.

You would have been fxxxed out there and you have nothing to "prove" for sure. I personally need all the experience i can get with handling weather, and hydration, and fuel and troubleshooting and decision making in all terrain and conditions. I personally had a great time, i also finished at 3 just before it started raining like crazy and snowing. You would have been out by antelope peak somewhere still probably.

To anybody who wanted to go but couldnt for whatever reason....

I enjoyed the route so much im going to do it again next Saturday if you want to join. Same plan as the official, just cruise to tiger mine and then get after it. Shooting for a 2:30 finish. Start at 8.

Ahhh the pain....
    There's a running race out there on that section of AZT next Saturday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    There's a running race out there on that section of AZT next Saturday.
    Thanks for that info. Definitely not the day to go as fast as I can, let the hikers run in peace.

I will be riding the tortolita 50 route instead.