Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bland

It's like PHX up here.

With all this chunk, right? Monsoons are killing it.

Pivotal figure
    Everywhere is getting chunkalicious right now. PMP is a rutty, ragged masterpiece again and Prescott is in similar condition. All the loose stuff keeps things interesting!
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    chunkalicious....

It's like PHX up here.-imgp0438.jpg
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

DFMBA.org

It's like PHX up here.

All the fines get washed off the trails this time of year. It brings out the bugs and the f/s riders.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member

It's like PHX up here.

So it's actually fun to ride now?
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

DFMBA.org

It's like PHX up here.

Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    So it's actually fun to ride now?
    Absolutely!
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yep. I was bombing down the root and rock section on upper brookbank at my usual pace.... got squirly in the new chunk and had to back up off of it a bit. Made me smile.

It was raining hard, I had just picked enough oyster mushrooms for dinner, it all had a very northwest vibe to it. I dig this time of year more than any other.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Did some riding in the McDowells today; that place is a mess. After the rains this weekend, the topsoil on many of the trails is long gone. However, Sonoran is in mint condition and beggin' for some tread.

mtbr member

It's like PHX up here.

Quote Originally Posted by markphx View Post
    Did some riding in the McDowells today; that place is a mess. After the rains this weekend, the topsoil on many of the trails is long gone. However, Sonoran is in mint condition and beggin' for some tread.
    Ok you talked me into it, Sonoran night ride Wednesday!! Did a night ride tonight out at FINS, it seemed very smooth to me. Could've been the fact that today I took my new baby out for her maiden voyage (stumpy fsr) and was my first ever ride out there on a full squish?? Perhaps! Me likey the new bike

Addicted to 2 wheels
    You guys are different and tripping me out. When the rain comes, I am excited for great traction, compacted, fast trails. You guys get excited about more looe rocks? Never considered that a bonus. Too each their own.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Everywhere is getting chunkalicious right now. PMP is a rutty, ragged masterpiece again and Prescott is in similar condition. All the loose stuff keeps things interesting!
    PMP is beat to hell. At least from 7th St over to Disneyland. There's some big ruts at the bottom of Disneyland that'll suck you in quickly. At least now I have a reason for failing at climbing...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    You guys are different and tripping me out. When the rain comes, I am excited for great traction, compacted, fast trails. You guys get excited about more looe rocks? Never considered that a bonus. Too each their own.
    Staff to the North, CA to the West. Cheerio!
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    I love huge rains that come through PMP, its like riding an almost completely different set of trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    Ok you talked me into it, Sonoran night ride Wednesday!!
    For what it's worth, I was talking about the Sonoran Trail in the Fountain Hills Preserve/McDowell Mountain Regional Park. Best trail in the McDowells in my opinion.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    For what it's worth, I was talking about the Sonoran Trail in the Fountain Hills Preserve/McDowell Mountain Regional Park. Best trail in the McDowells in my opinion.
    I knew that....
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member

It's like PHX up here.

Ohhhhh ok. Well, stills, night ride at Sonoran sounds good to me.

pedaller
    Flag is perfect right now! Way better than the moon dust days!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    I knew that....
    I figured you'd understand. The Sonoran Trail has a bad wrap for being a difficult grunt, but the techy tight nature of the trail is just too fun. Plus, that bomber descent you get down to Dixie Mine Trail is killer. You just need a 20t granny ring and a 39t rear cog to bump the rideability factor, but every bikepacker runs that ratio, right?

dirt visionary
    Wow you guys got hammered last night . Hopefully the trail damage isn't too horrendous. Floods force closure of Schultz Pass, Elden Springs and Waterline roads
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    Wow you guys got hammered last night . Hopefully the trail damage isn't too horrendous. Floods force closure of Schultz Pass, Elden Springs and Waterline roads
    And that was on top of Sat night's storm. This is the link for the Schultz Fire precip stations. ADWR Schultz Fire ALERT Stations and NOAA Doppler Radar

It's been an unusual and whacky monsoon season so far.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Camped Saturday night off Shultz the Lighting show was brilliant and the Thunder rolled right on down seemingly right on over of us once I stopped trying to figure out if I was better off in the car or low to the ground insulated by sleeping pads in the tent I have to say one of the best nights ever out there!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It's like PHX up here.-7dayrain.jpg

Much better rainfall data here:

http://www.decdatasystems.net/Flagst...pfs10080m.html

You can select the period from 15 minutes to 30 days.

The rainfall amounts in the image are amazing when you consider these are from a 2-day period and the average for the entire month of July (at the airport) is 2.6".

-db-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7dayRain.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	818334

Much better rainfall data here:

http://www.decdatasystems.net/Flagst...pfs10080m.html

You can select the period from 15 minutes to 30 days.

The rainfall amounts in the image are amazing when you consider these are from a 2-day period and the average for the entire month of July (at the airport) is 2.6".

-db-
    Thanks for that link DB. The data geek in me makes me want to install my own rain gage and get on the network.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member

It's like PHX up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    Ok you talked me into it, Sonoran night ride Wednesday!! Did a night ride tonight out at FINS, it seemed very smooth to me. Could've been the fact that today I took my new baby out for her maiden voyage (stumpy fsr) and was my first ever ride out there on a full squish?? Perhaps! Me likey the new bike
    Dude guys ride road bikes on FINS!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelina View Post
    Camped Saturday night off Shultz the Lighting show was brilliant and the Thunder rolled right on down seemingly right on over of us once I stopped trying to figure out if I was better off in the car or low to the ground insulated by sleeping pads in the tent I have to say one of the best nights ever out there!!
    Yeah, your sleeping pad won't protect you from 3 million volts of electricity, the electrons will easily jump that gap.

Car is a safer bet....faraday cage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast