I am Walt

It's heating up...go get that light now...

This is an excellent deal on my favorite light - the NiteRider Enduro HID helmet-mount.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...c=EM031207&x=y

If you're going to listen to all the whining about how it sits too far forward, and hurts your neck, then you can buy a handlebar mount for it.

But go get it...NOW! Then you can partake of the summer night rides, not to mention the OGOB rides...
    Ride more; post less...

Shovel Ready
    Been looking for a HID but I wanted a handlebar mount as I have a JET single beam helmet mount light. See you can purchase the universal bar mount for the Night Rider. Which would be better to have a HID helmet or bar mount? I think I can get a adapter from JET to convert my current light to a bar mount. Jet's battery is huge so I may want to keep it in the camelbak.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Which would be better to have a HID helmet or bar mount?
    I prefer the helmet mount - your light points where you are looking, not just where the bike is pointed, which helps on switchbacks, curvy singletrack, etc. Also helps with fixing flats or mechanicals because you can just leave your helmet HID on to illuminate.

On long rides, I carry a Light & Motion Arc HB mount as a backup.
    Ride more; post less...

Shovel Ready
    I have never rode the trails at night. So a single light is enough. Jet has worked fine for bike path stuff. I was thinking of running both lights. But if a single HID would be fine. I may go that route since the battery of the Jet is heavy.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

igoslo
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    This is an excellent deal on my favorite light - the NiteRider Enduro HID helmet-mount.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...c=EM031207&x=y
    But it's too heavy and sit too far forward. Do they make a handlebar mount for it?

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

Or...

You could go with something like this.

I already have an HID bar mounted light and have been looking for a small helmet mounted addition. Anyone used one of these?
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie
    You could go with something like this.

I already have an HID bar mounted light and have been looking for a small helmet mounted addition. Anyone used one of these?
    Niterider had something very similar on display at this year's 24HITOP. Very small, compact, light, and put out I think 10watts of light. Obviously, not bright enough to use as your main source, but good for you periphery vision.

I just went on their site, and didn't see it listed, so I wonder if it's still in development.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Niterider had something very similar on display at this year's 24HITOP. Very small, compact, light, and put out I think 10watts of light. Obviously, not bright enough to use as your main source, but good for you periphery vision.

I just went on their site, and didn't see it listed, so I wonder if it's still in development.
    NR MiNewt, fatty.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'd recommend NOT going with the Niterider. Support from them is virtually non-existant.

When I first bought my HID the 'head' would wiggle in the mount causing a flicker and I was concerned the excessive vibration might cause an early demise of the bulb ($110). After a few emails to Niterider, the finally replied and sent me a replacement part. Unfortunately, the light still wiggled and they never replied to any emails from that point on. I wound up using a little epoxy to take up some of the slack in the mount, and that worked well, although getting the light out of the bar mount was a pain. I eventually just bought another bar mount and went on with life.

My light has been flaky for awhile now. After running for about an hour or so and letting it cool down, it will not light back up. The LED turns green, but no light. If you use another battery, you can light it up and switch back to the original battery and run for another couple hours. I had to make sure once the light was on, not to turn it off until I got back home. I was thinking battery, however I'd been reading that the ballast can cause that problem as well. I didn't want to replace the battery and have it be the ballast or vice versa, especially since the ballast is almost $100 and the battery is about $160, and I could get a complete new light about $300.

I emailed Niterider about this three times a couple months before 24HOP, stating that I needed the light for the race. I wasn't looking for a freebie or anything, as the light is long out of warranty. I just needed to get it fixed or replaced. I still haven't received a reply.

Basically, once you buy the light, you're on your own.

Well, the night before last I dropped the light when removing the bar mount, breaking the bulb. Strange part is that the light fell on the side of the case, but the bulb broke on the inside... oh well, my fault this time, not Niteriders. Stuff happens.

Lets see... I need a new light and am willing to spend the $$$ for another HID... what company should I go with?

This time its Light and Motion (or maybe Lume)...

However, I will admit, the Niterider crew at the 24HOP was very cool and very helpful... even at 4am. Also, the MiNewt is very nice. It would make a great backup light or a great helmet light to use with a bar mounted HID.

Walt, what is an OGOB ride?

Lets have some Kool-aid!
    I just got my first light system the other day and took a test ride on the Desert Classic and it works great. I got the 500L for my bar and a 3W Ultra for my helmet. Its a Led system so I really can't compare it to HID. All I know it worked perfect on single track and I would highly recommend it. The 500L has a great, wide throw and all the light I need. It cost a little more than I wanted to spend, but I was able to talk to the customer rep via phone before the purchase and I was convinced that they would also have great customer service which is important to me.

You can check out their lights at www.dinottelighting.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Heating up?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971

Walt, what is an OGOB ride?
    One Gear One Beer - climbing Sunrise at night on the SS's and celebrating with an oil can before bombing back down...and trying to burp.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    One Gear One Beer - climbing Sunrise at night on the SS's and celebrating with an oil can before bombing back down...and trying to burp.
    That sounds like a great idea
    Once I get the 29er completed I think I'll try and introduce that here in Wales (not Sunrise obviously/unfortunately)
    Even if I end up as the only rider, I still think it'll be worth it