mtbr member
    Apr 2008

It's gonna be cold, what to wear?

Is there a designated AZ winter cold weather fashion guide? Tights? Parkas? Clipless Ugg boots? I need to do some shopping.

Navy Lacrosse
    Shorts and a LS shirt or hoody?

I was riding back here in Maryland in 30* weather with a LS UnderArmor Cold Gear + LS shirt + Fox trooper jacket and shorts, I was fine after warming up. My hands were what got cold. But I don't think you'll need to go that far.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG410
    Is there a designated AZ winter cold weather fashion guide? Tights? Parkas? Clipless Ugg boots? I need to do some shopping.
    It depends on where you live.

If you live in Phoenix and it's only 70° out, you're gunna need tights, winter-boots, face-mask, and some sort of waterproof jacket.

If you live in Prescott and it's only 50°, shorts, some sort of wool socks, and maybe a long sleeve jersey.

"It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

wretch
    Jayem I think thats one of your best post's to date. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

wool

Merino wool is the best. Get a shirt and socks. Then all you need is a light shell and vest for Arizona. Ibex sells great knee warmers and they go on sale at the end of the season. Use the thinnest wool layer for biking, thicker layers are too warm for a sport that is this aerobic. My Patagonia wool shirt is a great base layer but slightly itchier than Ibex wool. Icebreaker and Smartwool are excellent quality, IO Bio, new out of Canada, I haven't tried.
    Wool keeps you warm when wet and is best at keeping you comfortable over a much wider range of tempratures than any synthetic. You have to try it to understand. Usually feel slightly cool, rarely hot, perfect.
    Been a skier for decades and now that I finally strated wearing a merino base layer I'm always comfortable from the lifts to the lodge.
    With capilene I was always hot and cold, not as comfortable.
    agmtb

oooh, shiny...
    Quote Originally Posted by elaxerata
    Shorts and a LS shirt or hoody?

LS UnderArmor Cold Gear
    I second the LS UnderArmor Cold Gear. Mine keeps me toasty warm on those cold phoenix days.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem

If you live in Phoenix and it's only 70° out, you're gunna need tights, winter-boots, face-mask, and some sort of waterproof jacket.

If you live in Prescott and it's only 50°, shorts, some sort of wool socks, and maybe a long sleeve jersey.

When I lived in Seattle and it was 50, we just wore LS jersey, shell vest, shorts, biking socks and gloves. We didn't pull out the wool until it was 40 and raining.

I like cold though.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

LOL we're built for heat down here, don't make fun of us!

I’m a wuss in cold. I wear my LS under armour cold weather at this time of year, love it! Plus tights and a windbreaker over. Actually I wear cold weather stuff as soon as it starts getting chilly, 60s or so. Yes, 60s, brrrrr cold! I've considered that face mask thing but I couldn't get past how ridiculous I'd look riding around Phoenix in it! Oh and I have some heavy gloves for the really cold days when it’s in the 50s outside…….

Tiff

mtbr member
    People actually bike when it's that cold? I typically take the Winters in Arizona off because it's so damn cold.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    People actually bike when it's that cold? I typically take the Winters in Arizona off because it's so damn cold.
    The key is to keep it short.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG410
    Ugg's???
    I thought that was a 90's thing.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Leg warmers, a very light jacket, and a headband to keep my ears warm. And always wear full-fingers gloves!
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

Clothing for today's ride: Mid-40's in the sun, mid-30s in the shade. Light dusting of snow in shaded spots. 7 mile ride to the TH, 1500' climb (singletrack), 1500' descent (singletrack), 1500' climb (singletrack), 1500' descent (singletrack ), 7 miles home. No clouds, no wind.

Pearl Izumi knickers, lightweight knee-high wool socks, normal cycling shoes.
    Lightweight LS merino shirt, SS jersey, Specialized deflect gloves.

I brought a light windshell jacket and light beanie in the pack. Wore neither.

Those Specialized gloves kick ass. Light, windproof, just warm enough.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I may take flak for this and truly hate to offend anyone, but Jayem is right!! Although I have gotten softer since moving from Buffalo, NY to Preskit, LOL........ I must tell you though, my ride last week Tuesday right before then rain on BCT at 75 degrees felt pretty good!!!!