Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fragile - must be Italian

Good job! IRC Mibros - an overlooked gem of a tire?

I recently slapped a pair of IRC Mibro's on my singlespeed and wanted to post my general feedback about the tires.

I heard about the Mibro's last year when IRC released the new design as an "all-mountain XC" tire. But I have never seen them on the trail nor are there any reviews on them on the MTBR review section (they usually take *forever* to update the database with new products). Shiggy on the MTBR Tires board raves about the Mibro as a front tire and that was all I knew about them. His compliments, combined with the outrageously low price of $16/ea at Pricepoint (yes, $16!) pushed me over the edge and I figured I would give them a try.

Since I have clearance issues on the rear of the singlespeed, I opted to get the 2.25 for the front and the 2.10 for the rear. These tires appear to be "actual size", as opposed to many tires that are bigger or smaller than their advertised size.

The bottom line is that this tire kicks a$$ as an AZ desert tire and is an overlooked gem IMHO. The weight is respectable (520g for 2.1; 590g for 2.25).

The front tire is definitely the best part of the setup. It tracks straight and true; rolling resistance is very good (not as good as a Python, but much better than most); grip in both the hardpack and loose stuff over hardpack is excellent; braking control is superb; and cornering inspires confidence (holds tenaciously and then gives way gradually as opposed to washing out). It also has a way of clinging on to off-camber hits as opposed to bouncing off of them. In fact, there is nothing in our dry AZ terrain that this tire doesn't excel at. Based on the construction, it will probably suck in the mud or wet conditions, but who cares...this is AZ.

The rear tire is a pleasant surprise. Based on the mounting instructions it rotates opposite the front tire. Compared to the last rear tire I used, a Veloceraptor (one of the most grippy rear tires made), the Mibro does not disappoint. It holds on in hardpack, rocks and moderately loose stuff. Only in the really loose stuff does it loose some traction, whereas the big paddles on the Veloceraptors have a way of gripping in anything. But it rolls with 10x less resisitance and bounces around much less in the out-of-the-saddle singlespeed climbs.

Since these tires are relatively new, I can't comment on how well these tires will wear. Some IRC tires wear ridiculously fast while others do well. My guess is that the Mibro will be about average.

If you are looking for a good set of "all mountain" XC tires and are sick of paying $50/ea for a Kenda or Conti, definitely check out these Mibros. At $16/ea online, I think the Mibro is an outrageous bargain (I just ordered another set). Why more people aren't riding this tire...I have no idea.

Thx...Doug

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    I'd been watching these for a while since I first saw 'em in a bike mag ad, but like you couldn't find any reviews... Thanks for the info, I'll probably pick up a set as well to see how they do. Just curious... Do you think the 2.25 is wider than a MutanoRaptor 2.24? That's about as big as I can go in the rear of my Titus...
    Can you hear me now?

Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie
    I'd been watching these for a while since I first saw 'em in a bike mag ad, but like you couldn't find any reviews... Thanks for the info, I'll probably pick up a set as well to see how they do. Just curious... Do you think the 2.25 is wider than a MutanoRaptor 2.24? That's about as big as I can go in the rear of my Titus...
    The casing on the Mibro should be the same width as the Mutano 2.24. However, the Mutano 2.24 is a "squarer" tread design, so the tread should be a little wider than the Mibro. If the WTB fits your bike, the Mibro 2.25 should fit too.

Thx...Doug

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Compared to the last rear tire I used, a Veloceraptor (one of the most grippy rear tires made)
    I'd only agree with that if you are talking about climbing traction. It doesn't corner anywhere near as good as more modern tires, and the rolling resistance stinks. They last a long time, but they don't perform very well.

I'm not a fan of tires like the "backcountry" and "kujo" (actually they're the same tread pattern), the tread compounds were too hard, and they just didn't provide much grip compared to other tires. There are some IRC tires that never seem to make it here though, there was a 2.6 tomashi DH tire a few years ago on the titus prototype supermoto, and they were in one of the parts catalogs, but that size never got imported. That was a great tire that never made it here, and it wasn't too expensive or anything either.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I am Walt
    Couple things:
    - Jayem, are you talking about the Velociraptor not performing well, or the Mibros? I've been running a Velociraptor on the rear of my SS and don't like it, plus it's worn out, and I've been looking for a replacement.
    - I think I'll order a set of the Mibros and give them a try based on Doug's very positive feedback. Will probably run 2.25 front and 2.1 rear, or 2.25 on both - haven't decided yet.

Thanks for the review, Doug.
    Ride more; post less...

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Couple things:
    - Jayem, are you talking about the Velociraptor not performing well, or the Mibros? I've been running a Velociraptor on the rear of my SS and don't like it, plus it's worn out, and I've been looking for a replacement.
    - I think I'll order a set of the Mibros and give them a try based on Doug's very positive feedback. Will probably run 2.25 front and 2.1 rear, or 2.25 on both - haven't decided yet.

Thanks for the review, Doug.
    He must be talking about the Veloceraptors not performing well. Veloceraptors suck a$$ at cornering (don't grip/wash out) and rolling (slow). Plus Veloceraptors are heavy for a 2.1 -- like 650-700g (most 2.1 tires are in the range of 500-600g, the Mibro 2.1 being 520g as per weight weenies).

What I meant by my comment was that the Veloceraptor is probably the best climbing rear tire ever made. Those paddles, which contribute to the horrible rolling resistance, grab on to everything when muscling uphill. For everything else, they are terrible.

Last year I put Pythons on the SS, which worked great while the trail was hard and sticky from all the rain. But when things dried out last Fall, the Pythons became completely unusable. So in the interim I slapped the Velo's back on the bike...until I wanted to pull my hair out because they were such crappy performers.

Like I said earlier, for $16/ea for the Mibros, I figured I just *had* to try them. If they sucked, then no biggie. But, to my delight, the Mibros turned out to be a really great tire.

Thx...Doug

Elitest thrill junkie
    Couple things:
    - Jayem, are you talking about the Velociraptor not performing well, or the Mibros? .
    The velo.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Unrepentant Cowboy SOB
    you;re pushing my goal back by responding to these jayem

give me another 15
    "...it feels like.....times have changed."
    "Times maybe. Not me."

South Mountain Bulimic

Old Fart at Play
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie

I'm running the 2.25 Mibro UST on the rear of my 2005 ML. It fits fine. Tight, but not too tight. It's a good roller and has decent traction. On the front, where I tried it first, I got this weird sensation that it would oversteer when I turned. Very strange and disconcerting. So I threw it on the back, where it has much better manners, and put the Octopus 2.3 UST on the front. Now that's a front tire! Tracks straight and corners with a vengence. It just felt like a boat anchor on the back (it is kind of heavy), but I love it on the front. The Mibro does seem to be wearing a little prematurely, so I doubt that I'll get another. Just put on a Vertical Pro UST on the rear of my other wheelset, and traction is noticably better in the steeps. The Mibro rolls better, even though it's a little bigger than the Vert, so that's a trade off one might want to make.
    Last edited by Titus Maximus; 03-29-2006 at 02:34 PM.
    "... displays the social skills of a barrel cactus." - TNC

Follow up to my latest review

Just a follow-up to my latest review of the Mibro tires...

This weekend I took the SS to Pima/Dynamite for the first time in years. We did a 25-mile loop, so I had the chance to roll the Mibros through most every kind of terrain that P&D has to offer, which is completely different than most other AZ trails I ride on (read -- not rocky). Just like I remembered it -- the trail was fairly loose gravel over hardpack with some sand thrown in for fun.

Dammit if the Mibros didn't perform great on that loose stuff. The front tire hooked up wonderfully on the turns and ruts -- when the ground was skittish, the Mibros found a way to grab onto something. The rear tire held on as well during the brief climbs. I only recall once where I lost traction. The low rolling resistance was also noticeable. My friend had Panaracer Fires on his bike and he kept compaining about wash-outs. I never had that problem.

The only thing I can say these tires sucked at was the sandy wash crossings. They just sunk right in. But to be honest, I have never had a tire do well in sand. And since sand is something I try to avoid, I really don't care.

Thx...Doug

I am Walt
    I ordered three today from Pricepoint - two 2.1's and one 2.25 - for [SIZE="7"]$14.98 each[/SIZE]! They've already shipped.

Can't wait to try them out.
    Ride more; post less...

I ordered three today from Pricepoint - two 2.1's and one 2.25 - for [SIZE=7]$14.98 each[/SIZE]! They've already shipped.

Can't wait to try them out.
    $14.98? Are you sure you didn't order the Mythos by mistake? I just ordered the Mibro's again from PP tonight and they were $16.98 ea. The Mythos are price at $14.98...

Thx...Doug

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    $14.98? Are you sure you didn't order the Mythos by mistake? I just ordered the Mibro's again from PP tonight and they were $16.98 ea. The Mythos are price at $14.98...

Thx...Doug
    Freaked me out for a moment, but...
    QTY ITEM DESCRIPTION AMOUNT
    ************************************************** *****************************
    2 320 IRCMB5 210 IRC MIBRO FOLDING TIRE BLACK 26 X 2.10 29.96
    1 320 IRCMB5 225 IRC MIBRO FOLDING TIRE BLACK 26 X 2.25 14.98
    PRODUCT 44.94

You had to click on one of the Special boxes on the home page.
    Ride more; post less...

Freaked me out for a moment, but...
    QTY ITEM DESCRIPTION AMOUNT
    ************************************************** *****************************
    2 320 IRCMB5 210 IRC MIBRO FOLDING TIRE BLACK 26 X 2.10 29.96
    1 320 IRCMB5 225 IRC MIBRO FOLDING TIRE BLACK 26 X 2.25 14.98
    PRODUCT 44.94

You had to click on one of the Special boxes on the home page.
    Walt - you just saved me a few bucks. To get the "deal" price you have to click on the "BIG SALE" hyperlink on the home page. $14.95/ea makes me smile even more.

Let us know how you like the Mibros. Hopefully I didn't steer you wrong...

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Dgangi thanks for the review I have been wondering how these tires would be in the desert. Light with good traction and rolling resistance. I just ordered a couple of these. At $15 too good of deal not to give them a try.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Two 2.25 tires just got here from Price Point. They both weighed in at a porky 660g. I may send them back........

Quote Originally Posted by Que?
    Two 2.25 tires just got here from Price Point. They both weighed in at a porky 660g. I may send them back........
    Real weight > claimed weight is not uncommon. Hell...the Panaracer Fires I used to run were at least 50g heavier than claimed.

But before purchaseing the IRC's, I checked out Weightweenies to verify the Mibro's. Nobody has a weight listed for them, but if you look at all other IRC tires they are damn close to their advertised weight.

The Mibros are definitely lighter than the Python Elites (not the Airlites) they replaced.

I'm curious now if anybody else found their Mibros to be heavier than advertised.

Thx...Doug

I am Walt

Thumbs up!

Have had two rides on the Mibros (2.25 in front of my SS at about 25-25 PSI and 2.1 in back at about 32 PSI) at the Phoenix Mtn. Preserve (T100 area) and McDowell Mtn. Park (Competitive Tracks). Very pleased. Rolling resistance is excellent and they track really well on the trails. Seems to hold better in front than the 2.4 Motoraptor I've been running. Hook up well on uphills, much better then the Velociraptor in back.

I'm very happy with them...especially at $14.98 each (Priceline).
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I recently purchased a pair of the 2.1s and so far have been really pleased. I tried them out Friday night at Pemberton Night ride. They tracked really well and were fast rolling. I The 2.1s looked narrow compared to my 2.1 Kenda Nevegals. However, the Nevegal 2.1s seem to really be 2.3s. I now thinking about getting the 2.25s.

Have had two rides on the Mibros (2.25 in front of my SS at about 25-25 PSI and 2.1 in back at about 32 PSI) at the Phoenix Mtn. Preserve (T100 area) and McDowell Mtn. Park (Competitive Tracks). Very pleased. Rolling resistance is excellent and they track really well on the trails. Seems to hold better in front than the 2.4 Motoraptor I've been running. Hook up well on uphills, much better then the Velociraptor in back.

I'm very happy with them...especially at $14.98 each (Priceline).
    Hey Walt -

Glad that the Mibro's worked out well for you. I rode SS on Hawes today and the Mibro's hooked up great on that loose crap.

After 3 rides (about 50 miles), my rear tire is starting to show a little wear. It's not affecting traction yet, and it's definitely not out of the norm for wear compared to my other tires (especially the Pythons, which wore pretty fast). I just bought a second set and may order a third. At $15 bucks, these things are cheap enough to have a few extra on hand.

Thx...Doug

Ouch, I am hot!
    ...especially at $14.98 each (Priceline).
    Its PricePoint. Priceline is William Shatner. Live long and prosper.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My 2.1s were 510 grams.

trail "cleaner"

decent tire for tame trails only.........

Mibros will work OK for trails like Pima/Dynamite, Desert Classic, McDowell mtns and maybe Hawes but, they absolutely are way too fragile for technical super rocky trails like National, Holbert, Germonimo, etc.. Cut a sidewall on the first ride (2.25" version). Limited traction on the climb up National... There are many better choices for these type of trails.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Its PricePoint. Priceline is William Shatner. Live long and prosper.
    Leonard Nemoy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Nimoy

MTBGremmie

Mibro 2.25

Doug, thanks for starting this thread.

I tried the 2.25 size and find it works very well here in SoCal, as it does for you in Az.

I rode some pavement on my way home. I noticed that the dirt was rubbed clean off top of the small knobs, but also part of the patch of the casing in between the knobs. Interesting.

The rolling resistance was near that of my old Specialized S-Works tires that were so worn down that the rear had become a semi-slick.

In the right conditions these tires can offer the best of both worlds, to some extent. That is, good low rolling resistance on hardpack, and yet knobs for grip when needed. But they probably would not be appropriate for mud or wet stuff, or where bigger knobbies are needed. Not much of that here, so no worries for me.

The softer center compound is also pretty grippy, but probably not long lasting. But still a great deal at the current pricing.

Cheers

EDIT:
    the knobs feel like gummy bears. they wear fast- stay off the street.

don't know why they did't make the center harder and the side knobs soft, like other tires. OK, they stick.
    Last edited by jSatch; 11-13-2006 at 11:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast