Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    DFL>DNF>DNS

Intro to Bikepacking: Mogollon Rim - July (12) 13-14

Ok, looks like we have a route. BrianC may be chiming in on shorter version, kinda the backend of this route. This ride is meant for anyone, but we're targeting people new to bikepacking. This is a self-supported ride, bring what you think you'll need. If you're not sure, ask here.

Ride, hang out, camp, repeat. That's bikepacking.

I've posted 5 gpx files to the link below, here's what they are so you can decide what you want/need:

AZT_FR_Option.gpx - is the optional route on the Sunday return if you want more AZT miles. There is one 10-15 minute HAB.

HoustonBros_FR_OnB.gpx - This is the optional out-n-back ride from the camp spot up Houston Brothers trail to the first forest road crossing, fun downhill back to camp, it's a really nice grade.

MogollonCabin_Network.gpx - This has everything we could possibly ride plus the entire cabin loop system, it's color coded. Red: Main bikepack route, Green: AZT option, Purple: Houston Bros OnB, Dark Blue: spurs to cabins & Cyan: other trails, U-Bar, Barbershop & some of FR300.

Mogollon_BikepackIntro.gpx - This is the main route, no options.

Mogollon_POI.gpx - This is a waypoint file, contains all points of interest along the trails.

So, if you combo the POI & Network files, you'll see everything.

The ride from the start to the cabin loops is 13 miles, then about 8 miles to Aspen Spring.

I'm planning on going up to the start/finish on Friday evening, July 12th, & camping out. (Junction of AZ87 & FR300) Any and all are welcome to join. I'd like to start riding by 9am on Sat. Taking a relaxed picture pace out to the camping spot. I'm hoping to find a nice spot Sat. night near Aspen Spring. At that point if anyone wants to do the Houston Bros OnB, this would be a good time. On Sunday we'll see what the group decides in re: to the optional AZT route.

After the ride I'm planning on stopping by That Brewery in Pine to try out the Arizona Trail Ale.

Please post up any questions. See you at the start!!

GPX files:
    Index of /gpx
    Last edited by freeskier46; 07-02-2013 at 10:50 PM.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good ride. Unfortunately I have the rest of July booked up with family vacations.

mtbr member
    I'm in. Planning on camping Friday night as well. Do you have a specific campsite in mind or first location you find off AZ 87?

As a first time bikepacker, my biggest question is food and water. Will there be a water source near the camp that can be filtered? Suggestions for food that is packable, I definitely want to keep it simple.

Also, being new to this, I purchased a Revelate sweet roll for the bars and seat bag, any packing order recommendations from past experience such as what to pack on the bars verses seat bag etc.

Go go gadget bike!
    Alan! Yes!! I'm in too.. +1.

Check out bikepacking.net for ride setups. bikepacking.net > Personal setups

Check out Salsa blog for packing tips n hints.
    bikepacking | Salsa Cycles | Culture

Very best thing you can do is pack what you think you'll need and then take notes during the trip. You'll find out what works for you, what you use and don't use, as well as what works for food... You can read all day long and listen to advice from the best but trial by fire is really the only way to go!

Always a good day to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by timothyclaus View Post
    Alan! Yes!! I'm in too.. +1.

Check out bikepacking.net for ride setups. bikepacking.net > Personal setups

Check out Salsa blog for packing tips n hints.
    bikepacking | Salsa Cycles | Culture

Very best thing you can do is pack what you think you'll need and then take notes during the trip. You'll find out what works for you, what you use and don't use, as well as what works for food... You can read all day long and listen to advice from the best but trial by fire is really the only way to go!
    "Trail by fire"?? - That is how I approached all my past relationships and it did not work out too well for me!

Getting my gear and bike dialed and looking forward to this. Thanks to freeskier46 for organizing it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Ride, hang out, camp, repeat. That's bikepacking.
    You left out the part about wanting to quit, becoming utterly exhausted, stomach issues, and my favorite, taking trailside naps

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by markphx View Post
    You left out the part about wanting to quit, becoming utterly exhausted, stomach issues, and my favorite, taking trailside naps
    Keep your NMES experiences to yourself!! Remember, the first BP ride is to sucker them in, then enter the AZT300.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Keep your NMES experiences to yourself!! Remember, the first BP ride is to sucker them in, then enter the AZT300.
    My apologies, the SFBFL beating is still lingering. Bikepacking can be a blast, especially when undertaking reasonable mileage/climbing levels. As with anything, it can become too much of a good thing if one is not careful.

I'd like to attend to test out my new rig, but I'm not sure I'll have it built and fitted in time. Plus, it seems as if any ride I've committed to lately I ended up bailing on.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_AlanS View Post
    I'm in. Planning on camping Friday night as well. Do you have a specific campsite in mind or first location you find off AZ 87?

As a first time bikepacker, my biggest question is food and water. Will there be a water source near the camp that can be filtered? Suggestions for food that is packable, I definitely want to keep it simple.

Also, being new to this, I purchased a Revelate sweet roll for the bars and seat bag, any packing order recommendations from past experience such as what to pack on the bars verses seat bag etc.
    Not a specific campsite, just the general area near AZ87/FR300. Chad and I started from here last year and there seemed to be plenty of space for parking/camping.

Unless someone has a very recent report from the cabin loop area, I've typically seen running water along the Fred Haught trail where is doubles as the AZT and out by Aspen Spring where we'll be camping Sat. night.

Tim is right re: food/setup, bring what you like re: food. For setup, assuming I have all my gear, I roll my sleeping pad around my 1-man tent & put that inside my handlebar bag, attach my sleeping bag to the outside of that. I put my heaviest items, tools, batteries, etc in my frame bag. Seat bag: any extra clothes, stove, food. I've been trying to lighten my pack load & only using it for water and some food. That's just me.

Here's a pic of my rig fully loaded: (feed bag by the stem & spare tube in the gas tank by the seatpost)
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

parenting for gnarness
    Alan - did you find the bags here in town, and if so where?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_AlanS View Post

Water is trickiest part of the whole trip. Especially now in the Summer, the requirements go way up. I carried a Camelback with 100oz and 3 cages with 25 water bottles two weeks ago in Flagg. My frame has room for 2 and the extra one was a velcro strap on - it worked really well. So I had 175 oz all together. Chlorine dioxide tablets are nice and a light back up. Filter or UV pen is nice too if you know that there will be water sources.
    A lot of those dry in up in the summer.
    Don't let John's subhuman water requirements fool you - you will need plenty of water in July.
    Refill fully at every opportunity you get.

Food, shelter, etc. - easy to manage in comparison.

mtbr member
    I won't be ready physically (shape or gear) for this round-but I want to thank all the folks putting this on. I hope it is a success because I would really like an initiation like this one when I am ready to roll. Until then- gotta beat my goal of top 50% finisher in some 50+ride/races. Thanks!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Alan - did you find the bags here in town, and if so where?
    Ordered online directly thru Relevate. At my door in less than 1-week.

mtbr member
    Revelate Designs Bags | Bike Bag Shop

these guys sell out of TUcson

mtbr member
    I really also would love to try this one day. Although I may need to get a 2nd bike (nothing wrong with looking for an excuse for another bike) as my bike is already about 35 pounds.
    Definately appreciate that you are arranging these rides though.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member

Intro to Bikepacking: Mogollon Rim - July (12) 13-14

I spent the evening expanding my favorites tab with bike packing related stuff.

For the pros- I am really intrigued with the cheaper pack methods because I am a cheap a$$. Any thing I should watch out for besides ease of use issues?

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I really also would love to try this one day. Although I may need to get a 2nd bike (nothing wrong with looking for an excuse for another bike) as my bike is already about 35 pounds.
    Definately appreciate that you are arranging these rides though.
    FYI: My bike without gear is 29lbs, so it's not exactly a featherweight, don't let that stop you from the experience. Bikepacking rides don't have to be 60-80 mile per day outings like some of us are prone to do. Dial in your setup with shorter rides, then when you get that lighter tricked out ride most of your questions will be answered.

Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    I spent the evening expanding my favorites tab with bike packing related stuff.

For the pros- I am really intrigued with the cheaper pack methods because I am a cheap a$$. Any thing I should watch out for besides ease of use issues?
    Far from pro or expert as this stuff, but the age old saying holds true here as well. You often get what you pay for. As you already know, bikes have to be tough to withstand our AZ trails, same applies for gear. It took me almost 2 years to amass all my bikepacking crap. IMO, the one item you really don't want to sell yourself short is the seatbag. I don't sew, but those that I know who can, say the seatbag is the toughest to figure out. In other words, just buy one from Revelate and call it done. I tried the cheap alternative: strapping a drybag below the seat. Didn't work so well.

Framebags are a bit easier to go cheap, I had my sis-in-law sew one up for me, see above pic, and it's been holding up well for over a year now.

Handlebar setup can also be done on the cheap, my first iteration was nothing more than a homemade sling copied off Raybum's design combo'd with an REI drybag & some straps. I ended up eventually upgrading to a full handlebar bag (Phantom Pack Systems, Revelate was sold out at the time). My sling setup tended to shift left/right every now and then, hence the upgrade.

I set a $200 budget for my sleeping pad & sleeping bag. That pretty much ensured I wasn't buying a 32º down bag, so I went with a 32º synthetic bag - Ultra Lumina from Mountain Hardware. Found it online on sale for $119. I then found a Big Agnes mummy air mattress (yeah, i like to sleep in comfort sometimes) for $79 and my sleep system was complete.

I opted for a 1-man tent, Contrail Tarptent, over a bivy. Again, I went for comfort for ME, others prefer bivies - to each their own. Picked up the tent for around $200 the following year.

I found a stove on Amazon for $9.95 with free shipping last year, the thing is super tiny and works great!

For a ground cover I went to Lowe's and had them give me the wrapping the lumber ships in. They were happy to hand it over...for FREE. That stuff is essentially Tyvek, I cut a piece large enough for the tent footprint. It's super light and folds down ultra small.

A couple months ago I used my 20% off coupon & dividend from REI to pick up a Sawyer squeeze water filter. I've taken it on a few rides, but haven't needed it. Yet.

Long story short(er): make a list, prioritize it, set a budget, start hunting. As soon as you can carry the bare essentials on a ride...GO FOR IT!!

As an example, last April was my first bikepacking ride. I was unsure how it would go, so a buddy and I parked our vehicle @Freeman Rd. water cache. We loaded our bikes as if we were going into the wilds, but did a lollipop Ripsey ride and camped out next to the truck. It gave us a little peace of mind for the first outing, but we still felt like it was a 'real' bikepack. My second bikepack was the AZT300 two weeks later, NO TENT, NO WATER FILTER, I just went for it. I planned on using my ground cover as a make-shift shelter if needed & I figured I could ride faucet to faucet. You get the idea.

Hope that helps.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Backcountry has a killer deal on the Lumina 35. Around 2 lbs for $80.
    I got one couple of weeks ago and used it. It was definitely warm up enough. The zipper can snug a bit and no way I could fit in the provided bag - I just stuffed it right in to my sweet roll.

I used a Nemo tent... I would rather use a bivy next time though - if only I can get over my claustrophobia.

Mountain Hardwear Lamina 35 Sleeping Bag: 35 Degree Synthetic | Backcountry.com

mtbr member
    I bought a zpacks 20 degree bag. It is just 18oz. I probably would have been ok with the 30 degree bag (16oz). I sleep cold so would rather have the extra 2oz than sleep cold.
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

You're killing me Smalls!
    Thanks, John, for putting this trip together!

I am considering just bringing a hammock for this trip. Are there trees in the area where we will be camping?
    Marty

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Marty,
    I'm sure we'll find a few!! Trees all around up there.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Big, fat pines around Aspen! Great shade also.

Last week Aspen Spring was running a little slower and shallower, but still enough water from the spring to fill bladders. My wife's at the cabin this weekend so I'll have more info after I talk to her.

Unfortunately, we leave for family vacation the 13th. Bummer I'll miss it.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

I am Bob
    Looking forward to it!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Same here Bob!!

How many of you plan on camping out Friday night?? I'm hoping to be on the road north around 3pm Fri. afternoon.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    I wish I could of done this but I will be doing the 12 hours at night in Presott. Kinda the same thing right!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast