How much further ???

Instructional Video

Im not sure how many people here head over to the All Mountain forum but there was a pretty good instructional video someone posted over there (best Ive seen actually which is why Im posting it up). Covers everything from climbing, cornering, and braking to large drops. I found the segment on cornering to be rather interesing. The only thing I didnt quite understand is the dropping of the ankles. Seemed a very big part of most of the segments. Enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/25176773
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

banned
    Jun 2011
    Thanks Douger, good find.

mtbr member
    I agree with dropping your ankles, a buddy of mine suggested it and it helps. It helps keep your weight towards the back when you need to go past the comfort zone of extending your arms. I like to do it for drops, really steep decents and jumps I am preloading for. But it really all depends on the angle I am comming in at something and how much I bend my knees. I'm not sure about cornering either, unless its a steep decent corner I'm usually towards the center of my bike... but I could be doing it wrong too.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    The dropping of the ankles may be a technique to reinforce placement of rider weight onto the bottom bracket.

Just guessing, but it also may be more stable than say an alternative, the extreme one being standing on your tip toes on the pedals.

Very cool video.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i kinda feel like I'm the only one here who just goes out to ride and wings-it the entire way... i never was very good at planning anything ahead of time...

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Dropping the ankles gives you better leverage when descending or on the steeps. The body is even with the tilt or angle of the bike therefore preventing OTB
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo View Post
    I agree with dropping your ankles, a buddy of mine suggested it and it helps. It helps keep your weight towards the back when you need to go past the comfort zone of extending your arms. I like to do it for drops, really steep decents and jumps I am preloading for. But it really all depends on the angle I am comming in at something and how much I bend my knees. I'm not sure about cornering either, unless its a steep decent corner I'm usually towards the center of my bike... but I could be doing it wrong too.
    I think there is something to the cornering technique. I tried it last night on my ride and found that a few times I would actually corner too much and end up riding up the inside of the corner. Im sure I was over exaggerating for that specific corner and need to refine it. I actually liked the feel of pressing my outside knee against the frame. Ill have to continue to play with it.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

How much further ???
    I havent re-watched it but I swear he was talking about dropping the ankles during climbing as well. Apparently dropping your ankles gives you max power as well. When I tried it last night while just riding a flat section I got the feeling that when my ankles were dropped I was starting the power portion of the pedal stroke slightly earlier in a more forward motion. Umm I guess adding more pedal force in the X direction instead of only the Y ? Make sense? Im just guessing here. Regardless it felt a bit ackward to ride that way.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    i kinda feel like I'm the only one here who just goes out to ride and wings-it the entire way... i never was very good at planning anything ahead of time...
    No worries Mike. Unfortunalty Im just a weekend warrior hack that has a serious mountain biking itch and entirely too much time to slack at work.

Big B's Trails
    by dropping your ankles climbing you get a more "round pedal stroke" which increases efficiancy(allows you to pull across the bottom of the stroke and up the back) and helps keep your calf muscle stretched instead of balling up(cramping)
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes sir this is one of the best explanations I have ever seen, ...weighting the outside peg/pedal and weight the ft wheel, using your leg to turn is a good piece of info that noobs really need to start working on right out the gate ....( its all basic moto skills but alot of bicycle guys do not pound moto laps so they do not know)

Steering with the rear , ....steering with the ft and rear at the same time......counter steering ,,,brake steering are all just moto and superbike skills but they all work in agressive AM bicycle riding too.

This video is packed with great info !

mtbr member
    Dropping the heels in turns is handy for when you catch a mid turn bump or rock too. If your ankles are level or tilted forward, and you get surprised, it can throw your weight forward, overweight the front and cause a washout or OTB. Tilted back, the momentum must overcome that extra bit of weight and it gives youa split second to "catch" yourself.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Thread Killer
    Saw this vid on the "Steering vs. Leaning" thread, really good info.
    Cholla cactus=nature's guard rail.

:\ ping of death
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    a pretty good instructional video someone posted
    It was me

Fabien Barel - AM Skills video
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Dropping the ankles gives you better leverage when descending or on the steeps. The body is even with the tilt or angle of the bike therefore preventing OTB
    +2 , This really works for me when descending , I use it alot everywhere but it makes descending and braking more controlled .

Eroding into the trail
    Check out School Brigade video.
    See the venerable Cedric Gracia illustrating some of the principles.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Video-o...June-2011.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyBones View Post
    Check out School Brigade video.
    See the venerable Cedric Gracia illustrating some of the principles.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Video-o...June-2011.html
    Those videos looked like they had a blast shooting them and they had some great dirt to rip it on

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Im not sure how many people here head over to the All Mountain forum but there was a pretty good instructional video someone posted over there (best Ive seen actually which is why Im posting it up). Covers everything from climbing, cornering, and braking to large drops. I found the segment on cornering to be rather interesing. The only thing I didnt quite understand is the dropping of the ankles. Seemed a very big part of most of the segments. Enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/25176773
    good find, i was using the cornering techniques described and it definitely helps! it really pulls you around the corners.. it takes some getting used to, but it seems to be working so far!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks like the video was removed.....
    Yes, I'm the crazy christmas guy!

I love bike!
    The one thing I noticed that I'm having a hard time with is that I am really used to coasting and turning with my feet level at 3 and 9 o-clock so putting my outside foot/pedal at 6 o-clock has been a bit of a challenge and quite awkward. When I do get the technique right it really does make quite a difference though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman View Post
    The one thing I noticed that I'm having a hard time with is that I am really used to coasting and turning with my feet level at 3 and 9 o-clock so putting my outside foot/pedal at 6 o-clock has been a bit of a challenge and quite awkward. When I do get the technique right it really does make quite a difference though.
    weighting the out side peg/pedal does lower your center of gravity and allows you to keep both tires forced into traction , but it does take awhile to get any new technique to be automatic and have it become second nature without thinking about it .

It will start to feel normal in time and you will be faster and smoother and wont even notice your doing it.

Pivotal figure
    Hmm, the video was deleted today. No idea why...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Hmm, the video was deleted today. No idea why...
    That is a shame , I was helping an old buddy of mine and he was really liking this video as were his friends and now its gone .

I thought I could find it on my computer but I guess its not saved anywhere

Im assuming we weren't supposed to get it free or the host account had ran out of paid time .