Thread: Inner Basin....

banned

Inner Basin....

Great Day. Sam gets the gold star for not skinning up, and hiking the whole thing in his tele boots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned

more...

a few more

banned
    last ones..

mtbr member
    TR – Humphrey (almost)

Jason and I headed out from the parking lot at Snowbowl w/ backcountry permit in hand at around 10:00 am as the lift area was shut down due to wind. Our goal was to get some turns in the inner volcanic basin of the San Francisco Peaks. We marched up the groomers via Wild Turkey/Logjam to the lower bowl. We then bushwacked a direct line up to the top of the ridge. The wind was honking, and throwing snow up there. The views into the basin were amazing, as the bowl was packed with snow. We then headed north along the ridge towards Humphreys Peak (12,637’), The I don’t think we made it all the way out to the true summit , as we topped out at around 12.5K above an amazing couloir. It musta been around 2:00 by the time we strapped in for the decent into the bowl. Jason wisely took a lower approach into the couloir, because where I put in was WAY, WAY ICY! I actually took a little tumble and slide down a 40-45 degree pitch, before arresting. Ice turned into wind blown crust, and crust turned into dreamy powder as we ripped turns into the basin. Plenty fatigued already, we traversed across the base bowl to just below the low point of the ridge and boot packed/ snowshoed up the and over the ridge. Sitting back on top of the ridge, the elements of cold and wind were bearing down on us, as we snapped a few more pics and prepared for the decent down throw the glades back to the resort. Today, was a good day!
    Last edited by u2metoo; 03-04-2007 at 12:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Ya never know till ya go.

The report from the other side of Core Ridge into Snow Slide Spring bowl on Friday didn't sound nearly as appealing.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Sweet! Ya never know till ya go.

The report from the other side of Core Ridge into Snow Slide Spring bowl on Friday didn't sound nearly as appealing.

Thats a really sweet line we. Great vertical, great snow, and a nice long run down. I'll let you now when we plan on going again. Let's hope march brings one or two good storms.

Kathleen in AZ
    WOW!!! That is just too cool... hiking up to the top 2x instead of using a lift. I'm impressed and find myself just a wee bit jealous. Nice pictures of an excellent adventure. Thanks for sharing.

"Yabut"
    Pretty cool! (literally). Looks like a lot of fun.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    ... hiking up to the top 2x instead of using a lift.
    The old 'knee lift' was a little slow yesterday.

Occidental Tourist
    nice pics. looks like a good time.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    http://gah.ca/

If you like back-country skiing, the link above takes you to a small touring company that manages three lodges in the Selkirk mountains. I went on a self-guided, self-catered trip with a group many years ago, and the prices haven't changed too much since then.

You get helicoptered in with all of your gear and then ski-tour for a week. When the new group comes in you helicopter out. The cabins have a very large common area and an upstairs bunk room.

This trip would be too much for me now, but if you're young or in great shape and a good backcountry skier you'll have a great time. I highly recommend the experience -- the snow up there is just amazing.

If you go you will be taking on some risk -- there are some serious avalanches up there sometimes -- a friend of mine once saw an entire mountain avalanche all at once up there and the group I went with set off a 200 yard 4 feet thick slab when they were testing the slope.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Golden Alpine runs a good operation and has some nice terrane. I've been to Sentry Mountain Lodge which is adjacent to GAH. I've been to a few of the huts further south in and around Kokanne Glacier Provincial Park which has nice glacier runs and big mountains as well. It use to be a great deal but is getting rather expensive these days after the big avalanche season in 2004 and lodge/operation insurance increases. And the exchange rate isn't nearly as good as a few years ago. Still, you can do an unguided, self catered trip for a week for about $1000 which is pretty cheap. Guided, catered and you're up to $2000 but you don't have to think much or not even do any dishes.

banned

Round 2 this weekend.....?

Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    The old 'knee lift' was a little slow yesterday.

This weekend shoud be prime..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    This weekend shoud be prime..

I wanna head back up, but it's a no go for myself.

mtbr member
    ah yeah, I think a hut to hut tour would rock!

mtbr member
    Sunday is probably the last day for Snowbowl. They might open again if they get a dump but no storms in sight for at least 10 days or more. After spring break there will be very little incentive to reopen even if it does snow.

Of course if you hike/skin from the base it doesn't really matter, eh?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Sunday is probably the last day for Snowbowl. They might open again if they get a dump but no storms in sight for at least 10 days or more. After spring break there will be very little incentive to reopen even if it does snow.

Of course if you hike/skin from the base it doesn't really matter, eh?

I was wanting to hit the IB again on saturday, but having a hard time finding anyone to join me. I'll prob come up on saturday just to get one more day on the hill. If we do get a good storm or two i'll be hiking it again i'm sure.

banned

a few more I found...

Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    last ones..
    a few more of u2meeto...