mtbr member

Info on 15 mile Tour of White Mts. course

SO is considering signing up for this. She's a bit green when it comes to organized races, as she's only done one mt bike race: The Barn Burner.

Anybody have any info on this course, specifically how much single track and level of other racers? She's a capable rider, but she get's a bit spooked by overaggressive types. Is this one more for the beginner?

I think the 30 is over her pay grade, unfortunately.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Vincit qui patitur
    Epic Rides : Tour of the White Mountains : Course Maps
    I am probably doing the 15. Depends on work though.
    Last edited by owtdorz; 09-25-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

I am Walt
    The 15 is a nice loop, Jeff...more like 75% or more ST. Dirt road -> meadow section -> Panorama climb to overlook area (moderate, not rocky or too hard) -> fun, easy downhill to Aid Station -> then great ST back to dirt road, then back to start/finish. Most of the work is the Panorama climb, and that's in the first half.

I'd say most of the racer-types will be in the 35 or 60...15 is the ticket for beginners.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    SO is considering signing up for this. She's a bit green when it comes to organized races, as she's only done one mt bike race: The Barn Burner.

She's a capable rider, but she get's a bit spooked by overaggressive types..
    sounds like my wife. She is doing the 15, along with her friends.

I am signed up for the 35, I have never been up there or to any race... but figure if I'm gonna shell out this dough on traveling and races, might as well make it worthwhile.

aka Diesel
    Race length is irrelevant if she did the Barn Burner. If she can do that, she might as well enjoy the full 35. All she needs to do is position herself towards the back half of the pack to avoid the "racer types", at any event. The truly aggressive ones make sure they are front and center and only end up harassing one another.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)