Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Im vacationing in Sedona and.....

I DIDN'T BRING MY BIKE!!! DOH!!! Because the last time I was here at this time the trails weren't rideable. Now everywhere I look there is a mountain bike on someone's bike hitch. I could kick myself. Oh well... The next time I come up I will plan better.

So to my question. Is it necessary to have a parking pass at most of the trail heads around Sedona?

Thanks In Advance.

mtbr member
    Yes, you need a Red Rock Pass for most of the major areas.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks man. Happy New Year.

Meatbomb
    You can rent a bike

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    True, but I'm only a few hours away and it's not like I will never come here again. Next time I'll have all my gear.

Rides all the bikes!
    I always keep running shoes with me everywhere I travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    Yes, you need a Red Rock Pass for most of the major areas.
    Only if the trailhead has amenities like picnic benches and vault toilet. So, just the major ones. Lots of places to park without having to have a RR pass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uly View Post
    Thanks man. Happy New Year.
    Cheers! Hope you got out on the trails, even on foot. It's amazing country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Only if the trailhead has amenities like picnic benches and vault toilet. So, just the major ones. Lots of places to park without having to have a RR pass.
    True. I hiked Doe Mountain last year and didn't have one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    True. I hiked Doe Mountain last year and didn't have one.
    To park on the paved parking lot at Doe you technically need a Red Rock Pass. If you park on the rode you donít need a pass.

Over the last five years I havenít seen anyone get a parking ticket. Before that they were giving tickets regularly. I think the FS has decided hiring a Ranger to give tickets is a waste of time.

I always buy a pass because I am a good person.

mtbr member
    I think the reason I didn't pay at that trail may have been one of the fee free weekends when they allow free parking.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    have fun

mtbr member
    There's 4 trailheads where a Red Rock Pass is required. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5416228.jpg

mtbr member
    In looking at the map there are 4 trail heads marked as Red Rock Pass required however.....

What does "Recreation Pass Required" mean? There are many more trail heads in the area shaded with "Recreation Pass Required"....

mtbr member
    The Red Rock Pass is a Recreation Pass, which is a category of passes the National Parks system uses. Although there are other types of passes in other areas, you shouldn't need anything other than a Red Rock Pass in Sedona.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Must be some semantics at play here. I was just there, and I can assure you that you are required to display a pass at Bell Rock, Courthouse Vista and Yavapai Point, at the least. This is the pass that's for sale at the vending machines in those p-lots, whatever they're called.

The aforementioned map shows those p-lots as be being "fee-free", but within the recreation pass required area. In any event, the signs as you enter those p-lots clearly state that a pass must be on display in the p-lot.

True, there are a lot of places to park free, but not around Oak Creek trailheads, unless you're from there and know where to park on the street in town. I only needed to park in a fee lot one out of four days of riding (otherwise, I would've bought a weekly), so I was fine with buying a $5 pass a Yavapai Point and then handing it off to some other bikers that were arriving as I was leaving.

Freakin mob scenes at Bell Rock and Courthouse Vista. I'll never even drive thru those p-lots again.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson View Post
    Freakin mob scenes at Bell Rock and Courthouse Vista. I'll never even drive thru those p-lots again.
    We are still here. I can attest that every trailhead lot that is near a main way has been a mob scene the last few days. Man! The Chapel of The Holy Cross P-lot was bad. Hoping today that the crowds have dispersed a bit. Found a trailhead by the CircleK for Margs Draw with hardly anyone at it and, whew!, what a relief.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    The biggest mistake many MTB visitors make these days is staying or trying to drive to the Village of Oak Creek on busy time periods between Sept and the end of May or holiday weeks. The best place to ride or stay is West Sedona. If you want to ride the Hogs, Hiline or Hangover they can all be accessed from West Sedona. The only trail you will not be able to access is Lama.

As far a FS literature about parking is that it may be out of date. The FS has huge budget deficits and they have a tendency to print out of date information.

If you want accurate trail info Trailforks is the most comprehensive and up to date phone app and itís FREE. Remember to download the current Arizona region. You donít need phone reception out on the trail.

mtbr member
    I made the mistake of going up to Sedona last week, I took Beaverhead Flats Rd up to 179 and traffic was okay until I got past the lots for Hiline etc. The rest of the way into Sedona it was really backed up to 89. I figured to just avoid the area until all of the holiday visitors go home.

Whatís the best parking pass for the area and where do you buy them?
    "Without the ability to make moral distinctions based on motive, consequences, the ethical constructs of various parties, everything is equal, and you end up with people like Woody Allen: a tiny speck of compacted narcissism, revolving around the dead sun in an empty universe." - James Lileks

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarpon View Post
    I made the mistake of going up to Sedona last week, I took Beaverhead Flats Rd up to 179 and traffic was okay until I got past the lots for Hiline etc. The rest of the way into Sedona it was really backed up to 89. I figured to just avoid the area until all of the holiday visitors go home.

Whatís the best parking pass for the area and where do you buy them?
    I was there Sat-Tues of last week, and the first I saw of the traffic you described was entering Sedona from the south after my last ride. Once I was past the Starbucks, and on my out, it was all clear. Come earlier next time?

You can buy the daily and weekly passes for the p-lots that require them down around Oak Creek at a credit card machine located in those lots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson View Post
    I was there Sat-Tues of last week, and the first I saw of the traffic you described was entering Sedona from the south after my last ride. Once I was past the Starbucks, and on my out, it was all clear. Come earlier next time?

You can buy the daily and weekly passes for the p-lots that require them down around Oak Creek at a credit card machine located in those lots.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. What are the option for an annual pass to park at these areas? I donít want to pay each time and would like a pass that works at as many locations, not just in Sedona, as possible.
    "Without the ability to make moral distinctions based on motive, consequences, the ethical constructs of various parties, everything is equal, and you end up with people like Woody Allen: a tiny speck of compacted narcissism, revolving around the dead sun in an empty universe." - James Lileks

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. What are the option for an annual pass to park at these areas? I donít want to pay each time and would like a pass that works at as many locations, not just in Sedona, as possible.
    T for Sedona you can use the National Parks Pas as a substitute for the $20 Red Rock Annual Pass. The Red Rock or the National Parks Pass annual pass don't get you into: Red Rock State Park. Dead Horse Point. Fossil Creek, Grasshopper Point, Slide Rock State Park. West Fork or Crescent Moon.

For me personally even though I have three $10 lifetime National Park Passes I buy the $40 Green Combination Pass that gets me into Crescent Moon. Grasshopper and West Fork for free. It also gets me into all other Red Rock parking covered by the Re Rock Pass.

I park at Crescent Moon a lot to do shuttles for the Famous Hiline ride. It's way easier to shuttle Hiline from Crescent Moon than driving to Yavapai Vista because I live in West Sedona. We can also drop a vehicle and through the famous Special Ed, Pyramid and Witch Doctor into the mix.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The National Park Service Annual Pass is accepted at National Parks as well as most USFS and BLM fee sites -- including Red Rocks in Sedona. It's a pretty good deal at $80/year.

mtbr member
    I ended up picking up the National Park Service annual pass today. If need be I can get a state parks annual pass for other areas.